Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maggot202

WIP - my first doom wad

Hello
This is my first map for vanilla doom 2, but designed with doomsday in mind, due to the extensive use of light sources.
The architecture is mostly done, but not the enemies and "cosmetics" of the map, so i was hoping that you could give me some advice. If you're willing to take a look, please note that, if you're not using doomsday (the port i use), you'll need to take the light amplification googles just after the blue door to proceed, otherwise you won't see shit. If you're using doomsday, don't take them, the basement looks pretty that way :).
Anyway, please download this and share your thoughts. Thanks.

tst.wad

First, although the map might work in vanilla, it's in no way a vanilla map if you expect the player to use a port with dynamic lightning.

Second, there's some weird ashwall textures outside (behind the start), and you got some missing textures around. Namely in the exit room and in the demon closet in "Test area A" (missing lower texture behind the door). There's something weird about the fountain too.

The missing textures are likely because maggot202 only tested the map in Doomsday, which covers missing lower/upper textures with the flat from the highest adjacent sector if the sector isn't a pillar.

I don't think many, if any, other port's do this (I know that ZDoom and GZDoom don't for instance).

A little tip, glowing textures/flats (Doomsday) and dynamic lights do not replace sector lighting. They merely make things look a little better when used well.

Vermil said:

The missing textures are likely because maggot202 only tested the map in Doomsday, which covers missing lower/upper textures with the flat from the highest adjacent sector if the sector isn't a pillar.

I didn't know that, i thought that all ports did this thing, so, in the case of the fountain, i deliberately had a missing texture in the "water fall", so it would take the texture from the floor (the water). The missing texture in the end room, i hadn't noticed, probably because of the same feature, but it's all fixed now, along with the "test area A" closet missing texture.

How did you find the map, overall? fun? interesting? too easy? same old shit?