Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreadopp

Creating My Own Monsters

Well like the title of this thread says, i want to find out how to make my own enemies. I am just not sure how i should go about doing something like this. What i want to do is add monsters in without having to worry about overwriting some of the original monsters in Doom.

If anyone has any suggestions or any other ways to help me out, plz post.

Now i have read one of the other posts, and they talked about decorative lumps, but i cant find anything about how to use the decorative lump.

If you also happen t know of a decent tutorial to help get me started plz post a link so that i may have a starting point to becoming a better doomer/builder.

Thx.

Decorate scripting is the most popular way of adding more monsters. Here's some resources to get you started-

The DECORATE reference in the ZDoom Wiki. It's comprehensive but not light reading.

WildWeasel has a bunch of tutorials in his Doom Armory - mostly weapons-related but some are still relevant.

Rex has a Sprites from Models tutorial that might be of use to you.

I downloaded XWE v1.6 and I went through a basic tutorial. However, the tutorial mentions that I must import png files. Now I do have a monster that I imported into it but he only has 1 direction and nothing else.

Does this mean I have to draw the rest of the directions and attacks?

Also I was wondering if i could import a wad file that is composed up of only a new enemy. I tried to open this wad in Doom Builder but since there is not actually a map i cant test it out. I downloaded a guy off that net that i hope has all the directions i need. But it is a wad file not a bunch of pngs.

Is there a way to import a wad file?

You'll need a complete animation sequence with each step - apart from the death sequence and corpse - viewed from five or eight directions. Open the wad you downloaded with XWE to get an indication of the task that's ahead of you.

XWE can also extract sprites from that wad for inclusion in another.

I like to look at new monsters that people add to Doom. If anyone has any website that have doom monsters on it then plz post. I also like testing these monsters out to see what they are like.

Even if it is something you created and would like to share, you don't have to, but u can if u want to. I want to see what people out there can to.

So if you have any links to new monsters, or even weapons and items, then plz post.

I've made a whole buncha my own monsters for my gun mod (wait for me to release my wad, do not ask for it :P ) the best place to start is to learn Decorate or DeHacked. Or ask me for help, but at your own risk.

That realm 667 is a great place, thanks for the link.

I look forward to checking out your wad Janitor.

The first thing i am trying to do is recoloring, I want to recolor an Imp but i cant seem to extract or export any imp pictures properly. what i did was i opened up SlumpEd and open up Imp.wad and then i clicked on a sprite, and clicked file export, but it apparently can only be exported as a lump file.

I dont know if this is a picture file of some sort because i cant seem to open it in any way shape or form.

So, what is the best way to get an actual .gif or .jrg, or whatever, of a monster so that i may recolor it?

As well, what would be the best program for doing the recoloring? would photoshop work?

XWE can perform miracles with recoloring, down to pixel perfect precision without any loss of color information. The thing is, you need to be familiar with the colors of the Doom palette.

After you have exported the images you want to recolor, import them into your wad with XWE. Then view the sprite in XWE and use the color remap tool. This will allow you to replace any currently used colors in the image with other colors from the palette. Usually, you'll have the doompal.png handy and can manually convert the colors.

Alternatively, you can open an exported doom image and use Photoshop to make a palette from it (*.act) that you can use to apply to any image in Photoshop. Sometimes this, along with the dithering options provided, Photoshop can be really good at recoloring things.

All right, I have recolored my first guy using the combination of paint and photo shop. But i seem to have a major problem.

Heres all that i did: First i exported all the sprites of a guy as .png. then i used paint to stick them all together so i could recolor them all at once. After that i opened photo shop and recolored it. Then i used paint again to take all the sprites apart and saved them as different files. When i created a new wad using slumped i imported all the sprites in and made a decorate for him. When i went into the game to try him out he had this cyan colored box around him on all angles.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this weird box?

Also i created my own sounds for this new guy but they did not seem to work either. How do i get custom sounds put in for this guy?

Any help is greatly appreciated.