Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

Mormon Cartoon

Naked Snake said:

If you'll notice, Lucifer moves exactly like Hitler does in many speeches.

They might have actually rotoscoped Hitler for that.

Oh, and...

5). The Star Trek transporter effect when Jesus teleports to America.

Being a friend of a Mormon, this really is what they believe, though she'll swear up and down that the thing about black people is false, though they officially supported the notion up until 1978 when they changed it for PR purposes. It's still in the Book of Mormon, though.

The Church itself
Criticisms against it

OK, at first I was all about bashing Cyberdemon II, but then I saw he corrected his views and so let him be. Then I saw this thread was the craziest thing I read in a while. And the video...heh ;-) Thank you guys.

Oh BTW...that cartoon reminded me of this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimosthenis_Liakopoulos

and this equally far-fetched conspiracy theory...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsilon_Team

...still, i always thought the Mormons where basically just an evolution (sorry, "creation", no wait that'd imply religion was fiction...) of Protestantism (or whatever the pilgrim fathers where) who just believed that Jesus had come to America after his resurection and preached to the indians (who weren't christian, and didnt have beliefs resembling christianity, so he didnt do very well at it). From that video they sound like 19th century Scientologists

deathbringer said:

...still, i always thought the Mormons where basically just an evolution (sorry, "creation", no wait that'd imply religion was fiction...) of Protestantism (or whatever the pilgrim fathers where) who just believed that Jesus had come to America after his resurection and preached to the indians

Yeah, you think he would have gone into more detail regarding that aspect in Orgazmo, heh.

deathbringer said:

You sound like the traitors we have in Britian who support the idea of "tolerance zones" for Sharia law, little pockets of Afghanistan within the very birthplace of parliamentary democracy. Hang them all. After reaching a consensus for hanging in an open debate. Obviously.

Why the hell are you still going off at me after I already corrected my view and made a public apology?

Richo Rosai said:

What orifice are you pulling this out of? "Leading" to a "bad direction" cancels out people's entitlement to believe whatever they want? And what makes you think anyone has a right to NOT have their feelings hurt?

Well when people believe in violence for example, that is leading in a bad direction and people will suffer. I say people can believe whatever they want as long as its not going to harm someone else.

For example: Some people believe in God. Fine, let them believe that. They have a right to. But others believe in things such as suicide bombing and killing others, and nobody has a right to believe that something like that is acceptable. I DID NOT say that people are entitled to believe ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING they want.

As for your second question, it really depends on whether the person actually deserves to have their feelings hurt. If they deserve to be ridiculed, fine, make fun of them. Otherwise you have no right to hurt them.

But after doing my research on the Mormon church, I would now say that Mormons do deserve to be ridiculed, what kind of shit got in their head? Talk about the "Moron" church.

EDIT: Could a moderator please join these 2 posts together. (join this one with the one above)

Did you know you just made 2 posts in a row? Use the edit button!

Edit: my other post randomly disappeared... huh?

Edward850 said:

Edit: my other post randomly disappeared... huh?

Moderators sent it to post hell because they reckoned you were trolling.

Sorry about the double post btw. I tried to fix it but then it tells me that I don't have permission to access the page. I don't have permission to delete my own post!? Why not?

So it was... Well it wasn't exactly of any use to this thread anyway.

I'm not sure why that is disabled, but it mentions in the FAQ that you just edit your 2nd post telling mods the delete your post, and then you would just move all the previous stuff to your first one.

I guess deleting posts is disabled so people can't confuse other people in threads with missing posts.

Edward850 said:

So it was... Well it wasn't exactly of any use to this thread anyway.

Twas funny what you said about annoying us religion freaks with your belief in evolution. lol

Cyberdemon II said:
I don't have permission to delete my own post!? Why not?

I think it's because if you delete the first post in a thread, the whole thread is removed. Mods can delete posts, so the best thing to do is just edit and note "please delete this" (as you had done above).

Cyberdemon II said:

I DID NOT say that people are entitled to believe ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING they want.

Well they are. And practically, unless you have some kind of mind-control device there's no way to stop them.

Cyberdemon II said:

But after doing my research on the Mormon church, I would now say that Mormons do deserve to be ridiculed, what kind of shit got in their head? Talk about the "Moron" church.

What about their beliefs is more moronic than other more popular religions?

Richo Rosai said:

Well they are. And practically, unless you have some kind of mind-control device there's no way to stop them.

What about their beliefs is more moronic than other more popular religions?

Well I was talking from a moral point of view. Morally, people are not entitled to believe in or do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING they wish, such as murdering, raping etc. Not everyone is moral though. And you are right that we have no way of stopping them. We have no mind controlling devices like in science fiction. Its their descision what they want to believe, what they want to do, and who they want to be. We can't decide for them.

And believe me, the mormons have far more weird beliefs than other christian groups. Read up on mormonism and on other christian denominations, then compare them and you should see how much weirder mormonism is.

If the video is accurate, it doesn't seem any crazier than mainstream Christianity. It's just that one myth is accepted as "normal" by your society at large, and the other isn't. The same way society got you thinking that "satire and mockery should be off bounds when it comes to religion", which I dare you to justify.

In fact, saying that God came from space would be lot easier for me to believe than just saying that God is God is God is God to infinity and if you try to make us explain it we'll torture and kill you.

Richo Rosai said:
In fact, saying that God came from space would be lot easier for me to believe than just saying that God is God is God is God to infinity and if you try to make us explain it we'll torture and kill you.

Nowadays, the religions with more issues and conflicts with established knowledge are the ones pointing to a more material basis for their religious positions. The more agnostic, the more applicable. "God is God" (whatever that is) isn't necessarily disputing physics, chemistry, biology or history, while "God is a mega-being from the planet Tei Tenga" might be hypothetically and scientifically explainable, but completely retarded without concrete evidence.

Besides, religion exists mainly because it's a social "framework" and not due to rational or empirical support. I'm all for people criticizing religion or religious positions when they cause impediments, injustice or other issues, but people obsessed with the irrationality of religion fail to see the point and end up generating similarly invalid conceptions which are also heavily political, however "rational" or "scientific".

Why is it always space aliens nowadays? maybe it's because I watched a lot of sci-fi as a child, but I found "Supreme deity that transcends our understanding" far more impressive then "space aliens with future technology". I might not know religion, but I know EPIC. We kicked space aliens ass all the time in movies and video games, who'd worship those pussies? But DAMN, the old skool shit had some Cthulhu mythos going on, not to mention a promise of and awesome showdown with mother fucking DEMONS!(remind you of something? >:D), fuck this "return to the home planet" gayness.

Cyberdemon II said:

I DID NOT say that people are entitled to believe ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING they want.

People ARE entitled to believe ALMOST anything they want - it's called Freedom of Religion.

It really depends on whether the person actually deserves to have their feelings hurt.

How is that determined and by whom? Attacking someone because you disagree with their faith (they will consider it an attack) only invites retaliation and hurting their feelings won't neccessarily undermine their faith.
Anyone here remember the Muhammed Cartoons and the strife they caused? Choose your target with care.

Personally - I agree with Carl Marx. Religion is "the opiate of the masses".

deathbringer said:

u****** (censored)

That was the best post on religion made anywhere on the internet, ever.

Yeah, Mormonism isn't really that much weirder than the beliefs of other major religions. Also, I don't get those people who say Mormonism isn't a Christian religion. If that's true, then Catholicism isn't a Christian religion either. Because really, the Mormons are as different from Protestant Christianity than Catholicism. The Catholics have additional books, they have additional dogma, they worship the saints as mini-gods like the Mormons believe in many gods, and they have a different structure for their church. So yeah...

myk said:

Nowadays, the religions with more issues and conflicts with established knowledge are the ones pointing to a more material basis for their religious positions. The more agnostic, the more applicable. "God is God" (whatever that is) isn't necessarily disputing physics, chemistry, biology or history, while "God is a mega-being from the planet Tei Tenga" might be hypothetically and scientifically explainable, but completely retarded without concrete evidence.

Besides, religion exists mainly because it's a social "framework" and not due to rational or empirical support. I'm all for people criticizing religion or religious positions when they cause impediments, injustice or other issues, but people obsessed with the irrationality of religion fail to see the point and end up generating similarly invalid conceptions which are also heavily political, however "rational" or "scientific".

I understand that the idea is retarded, but just wanted to suggest the guy consider if, for example, mainstream Christianity couldn't seem equally retarded when you think of some of the fantastic stories it tells.

And I like to think I understand the point of religion as well. I was raised by Baptists and Pentecostals (so surely it must just be youthful rebellion, right?). The psychological needs and/or whatever else compel people to create and hold onto religion are obviously natural for humans. But so is cancer, and that's no reason we shouldn't be keen on overcoming it.

But more than any of that, I just enjoy being hateful, contrary, smart-ass elitist. I lost a good friend recently because I couldn't accept his belief that "when somebody catches a cold from you, you will cease to have the cold".

Richo Rosai said:
I lost a good friend recently because I couldn't accept his belief that "when somebody catches a cold from you, you will cease to have the cold".

"Pfft, I've been blowing my nose on your towel because..."

But so is cancer, and that's no reason we shouldn't be keen on overcoming it.

Right, but as you'll agree, it's more like a hang-up than a lethal disorder in the broadest cases. And maybe sometimes just by giving it a bad treatment we do make it turn rather cancerous.

Wow.

Let's note that Christianity is actually supported by archeology and contemporary sources, unlike anything in the previously viewed cartoon.

Grimm said:

Wow.

Let's note that Christianity is actually supported by archeology and contemporary sources, unlike anything in the previously viewed cartoon.

Not about a resurection or few miracles... so the problem stay the same.

Danarchy said:

... If that's true, then Catholicism isn't a Christian religion either. Because really, the Mormons are as different from Protestant Christianity than Catholicism.

You know, some of the more... extreme protestants actually do argue that Roman Catholics aren't Christian. Here's one (obvious) example.