Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Map18

Assuming you're referring to Lindef 1129, it doesn't work in Boom/PRBoom because Lindef 1132 has a WR action and is too close to the door. So if the engine doesn't support passthrough activation it won't work.

Since Freedoom is supposed to be Boom compatible, this should definitely be fixed.

hawkwind said:

The freedoom team have been aware of this for some time ...

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1728915&group_id=61157&atid=498937

... yet they don't bother to fix the most simplest of bugs.

It's not a matter of "not bothering". Neither fraggle nor I are regular mappers. There are almost no map editors for Linux, which I run on all my computers. Changing maps is not trivial. Not one person impacted by this bug has "bothered" to fix it either.

(this is good timing, though, as I've just booted into winXP for the first time this year, specifically to try and sort these out.)

Jon said:

There are almost no map editors for Linux, which I run on all my computers.

IIRC I made parts of my map02 (now map08) in Yadex :)

Urgh wadauthor, urgh wine :> Actually I have wadc installed (with some custom patches I wrote for it too -- hmm, might give them another look), but I might write my own simple map editor at some point.

The "latest" revision builds on Linux but segfaults on 64-bit. I tried to compile for 32-bit but gave up. I also like how there's not even a link to the actual repository on the webpage, only a link to the ViewVC page, which can't be checked out.

Slade works fine in Linux. It has the same and predictable bugs as the Windows version.
Its seems the apt-get style of dependencies brings out alot more bugs. In Slackware on a fresh install, I downloaded wxwdigets compiled with ./configure --with-opengl then Slade svn compiled perfectly. I use Slade for 98% of my mapping, even in Windows now.

Thanks for the tip. I've got a slade checkout now. It looks like slayer was a bit of a beginner to SVN? I can't get any of ./ or the alpha or beta directories to compile, although I haven't spent that much time trying to fix the problems yet. Latest in the beta dir is this:

jon@konishi:~/wd/doom/slade/slade_20_beta$ make
g++ -c -Wall -O2 `wx-config --cxxflags` -Dstricmp=strcasecmp -Dstrnicmp=strncasecmp -DNO_MAP_VIEWER=1 -DSHARE_DIR=""data_files/"" -o src/tex_box.o src/tex_box.cpp
[remove the warnings for brevity] 
src/tex_box.cpp: In member function ‘void TextureBox::redraw()’:
src/tex_box.cpp:75: error: ‘IsShownOnScreen’ was not declared in this scope
The only refs I can find to ‘IsShownOnScreen’ is this call.

hawkwind said:

The freedoom team have been aware of this for some time ...

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1728915&group_id=61157&atid=498937

... yet they don't bother to fix the most simplest of bugs.

Given that Freedoom is meant to be a community effort where contributions are invited from any member of the community, the team includes you. So yes, you are right, you haven't bothered to fix the most simplest of bugs. :P

Memfis said:

-complevel 2

Freedoom requires Boom behaviour, so you should be using -complevel 9

Not that this affects the issue under discussion here, as the map bug also causes it to fail in Boom (it's what you could call a "Zdoomism").

Enjay said:

Given that Freedoom is meant to be a community effort where contributions are invited from any member of the community, the team includes you. So yes, you are right, you haven't bothered to fix the most simplest of bugs. :P

By your statement you should have correctly said the doom community haven't bothered to fix the most simplest of bugs.

@Enjay - or anyone else

So what should I do then ? I know of 2 other issues that need fixing, where should I upload the fixed maps ?

Jon said:

Not one person impacted by this bug has "bothered" to fix it either.

I didn't know that we could. Never saw this mentioned in this forum (before this thread) or in any of the text files that accompany Freedoom. ;)

hawkwind said:

So what should I do then ? I know of 2 other issues that need fixing, where should I upload the fixed maps ?

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/8090-want-to-submit-something/

Nuxius said:

I didn't know that we could. Never saw this mentioned in this forum (before this thread) or in any of the text files that accompany Freedoom. ;)

Fair point.

Ok just to summarize the map18 issues.

* map18 up to and including 0.6 had an inaccessible door due to two linedefs being too close
* I moved the linedef and fixed this issue for 0.6.1. In doing so I rebuilt the nodes.
* The rebuilt nodes suck and you cannot walk into the courtyard area anymore. I didn't notice this because in testing I IDCLIPped over to the region which was faulty before.
* Catoptromancy has submitted a fixed MAP18 which is in SVN and should be in 0.6.2 (RSN). He also fixed an issue with a sector having a floor/ceiling height of 0/0, preventing some monsters teleporting in.

Wow!! I havn't checked here in ages and the first thing i notice is you're having a problem with my crusty old map18... That'll teach me to look in here more often! Thank you for fixing the problem it had. I'm sorry for any grief it may have caused.
It's nice to see this project moving again! Keep it up people!!