Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreadopp

Unknown New Thing

I am trying to add my own monsters to Doom without overwriting the original enemies in the game. I download a wad file including a monster that has everything i need (I know this because i opened it in XWE and all of the directions, attacks, etc were there).

In doom builder I have made a simple level to test new monsters out. I added a new thing and typed in the 4 digit number so that the thing is identified as the new enemy that i downloaded above. I dragged both my simple map and the monster wad file onto ZDoom and tested it out. The only thing i got was a exclamation point.

Also in doom builder, when i typed in the four digit number the player start turned into a question mark dot.

Does anyone know how this can be solved?

Look at the image, it shows xwe opening a customactor (Afrit). The code number is 3120. Open your level with doombuilder. Press "t" to shitch to things mode and then "insert" to create a new thing. Define it's doomednum as 3120. Save your file.
Start zdoom with both your level and the pwad that contains the enemy. (or merge the both pwads)

Thanks, i got one working.

But i just tried another enemy and from what iam looking at in XWE there is not exactly a 4 digit number. Is there another way to find out what that number is on a guy?

Number can be from 1 to 32767, some of them are reserver (hardcoded) in Doom source code.

eg:
imp = 3001
large brown tree = 54
deathmach start = 11

etc

Ok, I got the Afrit working fine every time i drag it on skull tag with my simple map. However, I want to do more than one guy. So i added the second thing, typed in its number, tested it out by dragging all three wads onto skull tag but there was no guy there, the Afrit works still, but the newest guy i put on there didn't. there wasn't even an exclamation point to tell me that it did not know what it was.

Any ideas?

Try the skill flags:

If easy is unchecked and you start at easy difficulty level it won't appear.

Well after hours of fiddling around, i finally figured out how to add more than one monster, however i have to drag both enemies and my map into skull tag so that all the guys show up.

I have tried to copy and paste the second guy's code into the first guy's code after combining both of these guys using Wintex, and i worked except for that there was no sound coming from the first guy.

Is there an alternative way to put both guys into the same wad file?

there can only be one decorate lump in the wad.

just merge all decorate text into one decorate lump and delete all the other decorate lumps. for some reason thats the only thing that works. for me at least.

Butts said:

there can only be one decorate lump in the wad. ...

DECORATE lumps are cumulative, meaning you can have many individual DECORATE lumps in a pwad.