Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

I figured it out

I have been pondering this for a while. In a map editor I used to use, one of the things was a dead lost soul...this never made any sense to me. Today I was playing the DooM PRB and I saw a Lost Soul, so I killed it. Its dead body was floating there, a pile of bones. I didn't think about it that much and went on my way. On the way to school I remebered about the map editor and it came to me. I guess they decided to keep that in or something even though they made the new Lost Souls corpse invisible...another great DooM mystery solved.

yeah I get it. I never saw said 'Dead 'Skull'. Perhaps it's just as well they got rid of it as the subsequent Pain Elemental hurls out so many of 'em Doom95 would've got visplane overflow in 2 probbaly.. :)

THey use dead lost souls on Slige to make sure that the levels only run on registered Doom. On occasion you can actualy see the dead lost soul as the lost soul death animation at the very beginning of the level.

yeah I get it. I never saw said 'Dead 'Skull'. Perhaps it's just as well they got rid of it as the subsequent Pain Elemental hurls out so many of 'em Doom95 would've got visplane overflow in 2 probbaly.. :)

1)Sprites don't cause visplane overflows, visplanes do
2) In Doom95, the VPO was removed

yeah I get it. I never saw said 'Dead 'Skull'.

Its dead body was floating there, a pile of bones.

what the hell is wrong with you people? can't anyone make a clear easy to undersatnd sentance?

The dead lost soul is a pretty useful thing. Because it is coded into the doom engine, you can use dehacked to play around with it, give it walking, attack and death frames, or just turn it into a piece of scenerey and then place it on a map. Its map edit number is thing #23

I have never actually had it confirmed, but it does seem a sensible guess that the dead lost soul item was coded when the appearance of the lost soul was like that of the pre release beta, and instead of just disappearing when killed, left a small pile of bone shards. If you have played the PRB, or MBF in beta emulation mode, you will se the lost soul's death did not work quite correctly. The pile of bones left after killing one would not lie on the ground, but hover above it.

The old look of the lost souls was quite different too. Not as fiery. Grab a copy of mbf and run it with the command line mbf -beta to see an emulation of beta lost souls, the beta BFG effect and a few other cool pre release things. Or you could also grab the actual pre release beta for the fully authentic experience.

You can get the early dooms from the doomworld shareware page http://www.doomworld.com/files/shareware.shtml and MBF from the source ports page http://www.doomworld.com/ports/dos.shtml if for some strange reason you don't have them already.

Yeah, all I got out of this entire conversation is that it has something to do with dead lost souls.

yes, me and the dan can the only ones to make clear sentance?

Oh, sweet irony!

ROFL...but you still havn't acknowledged the major screw-up in that scentance.

Dead Lost Souls are just the death frames of the lost soul. Place one right in front of you in a map and you'll see the final frames of the Lost Soul dying when you start.

Dead Lost Souls are just the death frames of the lost soul. Place one right in front of you in a map and you'll see the final frames of the Lost Soul dying when you start.

Like on Slige

ROFL...but you still havn't acknowledged the major screw-up in that scentance.

which would be? another comma after oh?

yes, me and the dan can the only ones to make clear sentance?

WTF does that mean?

that I (the orion) and the you (the dan) can the be only ones to make the sence sentence!\!!

Jeez, talk about a dan and orion spamming thread :)

Sorry about the visplane, tired and run-down, I of course meant Z_Malloc... or did I? =)

Anyway, I know what BBG was on about now, I've seen the effect used at the beginning of a pwad somewhere over the body of a dead trooper to make it look as though you've just knocked him down and stolen his pistol. It was one of those ones where you start in a prison, I like those..

The Lost Souls in the Doom beta left corpses. You can see it when you run MBF in Beta mode. I think you can overload the engine when you have an enthusiastic Pain Elemental go at it.

Goddamn I miss my cable modem...

The Lost Souls in the Doom beta left corpses. You can see it when you run MBF in Beta mode. I think you can overload the engine when you have an enthusiastic Pain Elemental go at it.

Goddamn I miss my cable modem...

Ha, now you know what it's like for us!