Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

Where is /newstuff?

/newstuff is at ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/idgames/newstuff/ - where it has been for several years now.

I repeat: you can always post about your maps here at Doomworld, heh.

Tormentor667 said:

There was no newstuff now for over 3 months, are there no new entries and submissions or is no one willed to do them?!

Probably no one cares.

The absence of /newstuff Chronicles is irritating by now. Yes, the wads are always on the usual mirrors, regardless of whether they're reviewed or not. But, a large portion of the doom audience relies on the published reviews to quickly see which wads stand out - otherwise, you have to do Deathzor's job of sorting through every level individually, when they're still in the /newstuff directory, to find the good ones. Also, many beginning mappers rely on the /newstuff chronicles for promotion - most of these levels never seem to be hyped anywhere else.

Theoretically, this wouldn't even have to be a big job if it was updated weekly or biweekly, so reviewers wouldn't have to sort through 40 wads at once. I've considered the possibility of signing up to write a /newstuff, as I believe I have a critical eye and a handle on the English language, but I definitely can't fit the current backlog into my schedule.

If nobody is willing to write reviews for /newstuff Chronicles, I propose a new way of making them: Every few weeks, someone gathers links to all the new wads in the /idgames/ archive, and then copies or paraphrases the reviews already written in Doomworld's archive browser. This system would lack the screenshots, and Deathz0r's usual flavor of commentary, but the job would be far easier - the "reviewer" wouldn't even have to play the wads. At least the job would get done this way, and it's better for the /newstuff Chronicles to exist in a crippled state than not at all.

Torm, i normally wouldnt care, but I dont recall you having uploaded anything recently. if you want a review, post your work. im pretty sure that'll get some attention

Creaphis said:
If nobody is willing to write reviews for /newstuff Chronicles, I propose a new way of making them: Every few weeks, someone gathers links to all the new wads in the /idgames/ archive, and then copies or paraphrases the reviews already written in Doomworld's archive browser. This system would lack the screenshots, and Deathz0r's usual flavor of commentary, but the job would be far easier - the "reviewer" wouldn't even have to play the wads. At least the job would get done this way, and it's better for the /newstuff Chronicles to exist in a crippled state than not at all.

That sounds like a messy hassle. A thread like this one in Wads & Mods might be useful, showing the newstuff directory from a solid mirror, allowing people to make passing comments about releases.

The fact that no one even fucking bothers to do /newstuff anymore shows a shocking amount of apathy on the part of the Doomworld community. This isn't something even remotely hard to put together. If nothing else, the various moderators (who are still active) could divvy it up between themselves. Guarantee it wouldn't work out to more than three WADs a person. Not very difficult. As for the backlog, obviously, it will have to be forgotten.

But if this is just a little too much to handle, I could do /newstuff once a month. I have to much shit going on to do it every week, but once a month can be done. I also am willing to review any old Doom 1 WADs added to the archive, i.e., FunDuke uploads. Consider this an official statement.

Heh one day i might try to download a single lvl wad...personally i only download megawads since i play ZDoom...never bothered with a single map =/

Grimm said:

If nothing else, the various moderators (who are still active) could divvy it up between themselves. Guarantee it wouldn't work out to more than three WADs a person. Not very difficult.

As long as I don't have megawads coming at me left and right, it's nothing I couldn't handle, in theory. The only other issue is whether I'm good enough to write good reviews; I guess that's up to the reader.

I'll do newstuff reviews :D ... or better yet we could do a community newstuff review. have members of the community pick a wad (that they didn't make themselves) and review the latest wads. Someone should start an Unoffical /newstuff thread somewhere

There are several possible solutions, but two things have to be accounted for no matter what: reviews have to show up on the front page of doomworld.com, and all new releases have to be mentioned. I'm aware that most people in this forum would be content with a /newstuff forum thread instead, but there are other Doomers who visit the front page of Doomworld without ever entering the forums. That's what I did for at least a year or two, and I'm certain that there are other people like me. /Newstuff Chronicles should continue to exist on the front page for their sake.

funny how people bitch about /newstuff when it's there and bitch about /newstuff when it's not being done anymore

Creaphis said:
There are several possible solutions, but two things have to be accounted for no matter what: reviews have to show up on the front page of doomworld.com, and all new releases have to be mentioned.

Are these demands backed by any hostages? If Mordeth is in your cellar please don't amputate any limbs or otherwise submit him to severe torture!

Sorry for having real life priorities. If anyone wants to help me go through five months of WADs, they're more than welcome to! Any takers?

Serious question: I've noticed a lot of people volunteering to do newstuff each time this topic comes up, but it never seems to be taken seriously as a viable option. Why not? Can we at the least have them all submit some reviews as a test and see how they do? If deathzor has other priorities (and I totally agree that life comes before internet), can we divvy up the job until such time as he's ready to do it again?

I think the idea of community reviewing makes sense in a lot of ways. It's not a perfect system, to be sure, but it does seem ridiculous to expect one person to unfailingly deliver reviews every month, and then start whining when those reviews can't come because that one person is preoccupied with matters in reality. (In the likely instance that I've bitched about this issue in another thread myself, feel free to call me a hypocrite.) Anyway, I don't have time myself to do more than a few wads, and most likely lack the expertise and good eye necessary to give a proper review.

EDIT: I didn't see the above post. Thought I'd say he's right, though. :)

I'd be happy to help out with reviewing, at least for a few wads. Maybe we should try alexz's suggestion about test reviews?

myk said:

Are these demands backed by any hostages?

Mattbratt11, Ruba, Dr Tickle, Jerry Lehr, Kenesen, Anonymous, Jack Sparrow, Glassyman, Blake Stoner & Daisy the Bunny. Now you know we mean business!

I probably couldn't give a decent wad review if my life depended on it, nonetheless I support the idea of a reviewing "talent quest" and would be prepared to have a go.

hay, i will be a hostage as well (one more wont hurt right?) i too cant review wads that well but I'd love to sure as hell try

Giving your opinion about an wad isn't that hard just say whats on your mind anyone can do it, descibe the things you liked or disliked did you liked the gameplay or not or music, design, layout, detail etc an few lines of text should be more than enough for an single map I do think megawads should deserve some more attention.

alexz721 said:
Can we at the least have them all submit some reviews as a test and see how they do?

It's not like the site admins' PM links are blocked or anything. If people only bother to complain and not to send any examples and personal commitments, you can't expect Bloodshedder or whoever to bother much, and less so to be dragging themselves about hunting elusive reviewers when someone pops up randomly to say "hay where's /ns?" (half the time being the ones that say "/ns sucks" when it does appear).

Besides a "community reviewing" method would be a mess, and a hassle to the organizer. It's already hard to work with more than one, having each finish their part. The database comments system does the job without pushing or annoying anybody. And the site has its character; pasting random reviews on the front page just to comply with having them on there isn't going to help with that unless the idea is to convert the site into some sort of news wiki*.

Half of the "where's /ns?" push comes from authors overeager to pimp their stuff. The minute they don't have something to upload, they don't care about "newstuff" (actually the Chronicles... it doesn't look like there's much caring for /newstuff in the first place).

As usual, things are easier said than done, especially when telling someone else to handle the gist of the doing.

* Ironically that's what it is in part; anyone could just go and post a Chronicles-like news entry as a news submission, which could be taken as a chronicles example or posted as is.

I'm brainstorming a system that allows people with a forums account to "claim" WADs for reviewing and then submit a review within a certain timeframe. Don't hold your breath, I haven't even started writing anything and it probably won't be done until the end of the month.