Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

Planet X Fear Mongering Sensationalism

You may or may not have heard about this widely debated so called planet X. Supposed to be an additional part of our solar system. Anyhoo there's a bunch of crazies that believe it will come into earths orbit in Dec 21 2012. This ties into Mayan Calendar doomsday prophecy because it never went past 2012, and the UN's calender doesn't go past 2012 BLAH BLAH BLAH. This triggers all kinds of crazy shit wiping out 9 tenths of the world's population. It's also said to be where aliens descended from and created man in accordance to how some dude decided to decipher ancient Sumerian writings.

LOL:

Oh how i wish youtube videos worked on this connection, half the time they don't even appear, just a blank space with a grey dotted line around. Anyway, some asteroid a couple of months back was supposed to have become "negatively charged" from passing Saturn, and then would release a "plasma discharge" on the "positively charged" earth. The video then went on to say "Think it hasn't happened before? One word: TUNGUSKA". Tunguska being an actual impact not a fictional "plasma discharge" from a passing asteroid. So no, it hasn't happened before, and didnt, and won't, because it's bullshit. There was some 'nice' special effects in the video using stolen wikimedia graphics though

Tunguska actually didn't impact the Earth, it was more like an airbust. Kind of just exploded right above the ground. At least that's what I remember hearing from some random documentary on it.

Anyway, Planet X makes for an amusing episode of Looney Tunes but not much else. :p

I'm going to laugh on January 1st, 2013 when all the loonies wind up looking retarded.

Danarchy said:

I'm going to laugh on January 1st, 2013 when all the loonies wind up looking retarded.

They'll just claim they got their calculations wrong and it's actually due in another 5 years. Repeat, ad nauseum.

Danarchy said:

I'm quite likely not going to remember this bullshit (hopefully not due to Alzheimer's or something like that, heh).

All this Planet X/Nibiru (Nibiru is actually a celestial region associated with the god Marduk known among the ancient Babylonians) nonsense all originated from
Zecharia Sitchin a pseudo-archaeologist/historian that is not meant to be taken seriously and he's just as bad L. Ron Hubbard if only worse.

Actually, I think the more thorough eschatologists of this persuasion are settled on 2011 due to the Mayan calendar being a year off from standard because it included year zero, so the 2012-ers will be caught off-guard a year early if it does happen.

Not that I really have an opinion on the issue, but I know somebody who's got a book coming out about the world ending in 2011.

Who knows, maybe perhaps the Mayan calender doesn't exactly follow our western society's concept of time since every society/culture has their own way of calculating time.

Take 2007 for example as compared to other calenders from other diverse societies/cultures which I supposed that modern society is using the Gregorian calendar which their trying to define everything into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007

Gregorian calendar 2007
MMVII
Ab urbe condita 2760
Armenian calendar 1456
ԹՎ ՌՆԾԶ
Bahá'í calendar 163 – 164
Berber calendar 2957
Buddhist calendar 2551
Burmese calendar 1369
Chinese calendar 4643/4703-11-13
(丙戌年十一月十三日)
— to —
4644/4704-11-22
(丁亥年十一月廿二日)
Coptic calendar 1723 – 1724
Ethiopian calendar 1999 – 2000
Hebrew calendar 5767 – 5768
Hindu calendars
- Vikram Samvat 2062 – 2063
- Shaka Samvat 1929 – 1930
- Kali Yuga 5108 – 5109
Holocene calendar 12007
Iranian calendar 1385 – 1386
Islamic calendar 1427 – 1428
Japanese calendar Heisei 19
(平成19年)
- Imperial Year Kōki 2667
(皇紀2667年)
Korean calendar 4340
Thai solar calendar 2550
Unix time 1167609600 – 1199145599

God, I can't breath.

Thank you. Not done yet, but that first video was truly hilarious. The Star Wars opening text, the blend of the Old Testament with UFO creationism, and did I detect a hint of JRPG?

Re: the first video.

What's frightening is the number of people who ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS SHIT. It only takes a quick google search to find out that the photographs of the supposed "giants" are Photoshops done for a competition on some website. What ever happened to people questioning what they saw instead of taking everything as gospel? Oh wait.

Snarboo said:

Tunguska actually didn't impact the Earth, it was more like an airbust. Kind of just exploded right above the ground. At least that's what I remember hearing from some random documentary on it.

You're right - the Tunguska Event was an airburst but it's still referred to as an impact event.

As for the Dec 2012 "End of the World" nonsense, I alluded to that here. Maybe no-one noticed. :-)

Yeah, it was still caused by a gigantic 'something' exploding violently after being drawn into earth's gravity well, not a "plasma discharge" from an object merely passing the earth. It's like comparing a stick of dynamite to the northern lights and saying they'd have the same effect

Hmmm, actually I believe planet x was supposed to come near Earth's orbit back in 2002 or 03, there was a date set for it in the spring of those years. Never happened, but people need their pointless conspiracies.

I think I read somewhere that the mayan calendar already ended before long ago. It just restarted after.