Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luigi30

Stopping monsters running to the other side of map and infighting: The Map

I'm working on a map, and I've got a bit of a problem. I've got bridge with 2 demons and an imp on it:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8045/bridge1ue6.jpg

The problem is, the player wakes them up by entering the next sector over, and there's an obstacle between the player and the bridge, lowered by the switch.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1536/bridge2vv6.jpg

If the player doesn't hit the switch and lower the barrier, the demons and imp run to the other side of the map, into a cramped room. Once the player gets in range of the imp and crosses the bridge, it'll shoot a fireball at the player, which invariably hits the demons and everybody dies.

How can I stop the monsters on the bridge from activating until the player gets on the bridge or actively shoots them?

EDIT: Map now available! Details below!

Infighting is a major component of doom gameplay. For quite a lot of maps that don't take it into consideration much, you can mostly just walk around without shooting and have all the monsters kill themselves.

Solutions to this problem might be:
* the switch seems to lower the floor that blocks access to the bridge, so the same switch could simultaneously lower a floor in a hidden room in the map causing them all to warp to the bridge. (in any case you would still have basically the same problem, just postponed until bridge access ie. you can still make them infight)
* having that door across the way open up when you enter the bridge and they'd come out of it
* putting 3 imps or 3 demons instead since like enemies won't infight.

in addition to the above, also try monster block lines to keep them from leaving the area, or don't let them hear or see the player until it is time for them to fight the player.

I think I've got it working and significantly less ugly. I'm intending this to be the first map of a 5-map WAD, but being as it's the first map I've actually released I'm sure there's some bugs I missed.

SMROSMAI: The Map

That's pretty fun but very short and too easy for my preference at least. One definite plus is you don't walk around in circles forever trying to figure out where some hidden switch or something is (like tnt evilution map 31, ugh...)

TNT map 31 *shudders*

Anyway, You did a really nice job on your map. I liked the metal, bronze, and startan texture scheme you used throughout the level. I genuinely enjoyed the gamplay as well. You did a nice job with monster positioning, monster choice, and setting traps. In reference to this threads title, I wouldn't worry about enemy infighting. I like maps where you can coax enemies into fighting one another, but if it bothers you that much, I'd lower the demons from the ceiling when you press the switch, since they can't attack beforehand anyway.

The only thing I noticed in terms of glitches are that the textures for the room near the beginning with the pistol zombies are not lower unpegged (don't worry, everyone forgets this one ;) and there are two doorframes that you apparently forgot to put a correct flat on, the imp trap doorframe at the beginning and the doorframe in the poison pit.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. Great job!!! =D

Death-Destiny said:
Anyway, You did a really nice job on your map. I liked the metal, bronze, and startan texture scheme you used throughout the level. I genuinely enjoyed the gamplay as well. You did a nice job with monster positioning, monster choice, and setting traps. In reference to this threads title, I wouldn't worry about enemy infighting. I like maps where you can coax enemies into fighting one another, but if it bothers you that much, I'd lower the demons from the ceiling when you press the switch, since they can't attack beforehand anyway.

Thanks. I'll look into more ways to stop them from killing each other too early like hidden platforms or teleporters.

Death-Destiny said:
The only thing I noticed in terms of glitches are that the textures for the room near the beginning with the pistol zombies are not lower unpegged (don't worry, everyone forgets this one ;) and there are two doorframes that you apparently forgot to put a correct flat on, the imp trap doorframe at the beginning and the doorframe in the poison pit.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. Great job!!! =D [/B]

I thought I took care of all of those! I never got a chance to look at it since I was never near the door when it opened.

gggmork said:

That's pretty fun but very short and too easy for my preference at least. One definite plus is you don't walk around in circles forever trying to figure out where some hidden switch or something is (like tnt evilution map 31, ugh...)

I also hate running around looking for a switch or key in a giant maze, which is why the map isn't that complicated.

I had a quick run through your level. I thought the textures were a little plain and the gameplay very straightforward. One or two surprises would have been nice, aswell.

I did like the simplicity of your level though, and the fact you don't resort to mass monster traps was a welcome change.

What are you supposed to do after the 2nd pair of arachnotrons? I still don't know to the point of suspecting its a zdoom or whatever bug that makes a switch not work right or something.

Creaphis said:

Come on guys, TNT map 31 is great.

It's great once you know the level progression, but if you don't you just wander hopelessly in circles around that unnecessarily large level. I prefer levels like what luigi offers here. When composing larger levels, it is more critical to ensure that, even if they're non-linear, the way ahead should be clear to avoid the aforementioned issue.