Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gggmork

how make monster death = trigger

I use zdoom and doombuilder. You know in map 07, killing the mancubes and arachs both trigger a sector lower or whatever action. How do you do that, preferably for any level not just 07? I've seen a zdoom wad that has this feature for a non-07 level. Do you put some sort of tag on a sector or on the enemies or what?

Thanks, I read that now.
Figures.. I probably intended to make the death of the last arch vile cause the trigger (but it seems only cybers, masterminds, barons and mancs and arachs can be used (even though I once played a level that used cacodemons)).

Where do you even type these codes? Do you simply make a new text document, put it in the same folder as your wad and title the text file anynameyouwant.lmp ?

Well, if you really want to be adventurous you could learn ACS. With this you can have the death of any monster (or group of monsters) to trigger any event(s) you wanted. However, your map must be in Hexen format (Doom Builder labels it as "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format)") and you would have quite a bit of learning ahead of you.

I personally think it is worth the time and effort to learn ACS. Almost everything you ever wanted to do in Doom is possible with ACS.

If you are interesting in learning ACS, here are a few useful links:

ZDoom Wiki
The ZDoom Wiki will be your best friend. It contains all the documentation on ZDoom and its editing features.

ZDoom Forum
The ZDoom forum is full of people who can help you answer any questions you may have about ZDoom and editing it.

A Quick Beginners Guide to ACS
This should help you get started in the right direction.

ThingCount
Once you get the hang of ACS, this is what you can use to create the effect you want in your map. It even has some examples!

I hope I was of some help to you. Good luck!

Yeah this is helpful stuff, thanks. I was kinda hoping it'd be some simple option in doombuilder I overlooked or something. I'll write this stuff down for future reference but not sure if I want to hassle with all that.

gggmork said:

Yeah this is helpful stuff, thanks. I was kinda hoping it'd be some simple option in doombuilder I overlooked or something. I'll write this stuff down for future reference but not sure if I want to hassle with all that.

Simple scripts like that are really easy...

An even easier way is to right-click a monster (in zdoom doom in hexen format), go to the effects tab, and choose an action like you would for a line. The action will happen after the monster is killed.

Heh, yeah I was gonna say, you don't need scripts for this unless you want to check for multiple monsters.

Just tried the zdoom hexen monster action. I assume I need the hexen iwad which I don't currently have or it won't 'build the nodes' to make this work correctly (plus maybe any other player would also need it to make it work). All well, I could easily buy it if i want. Doom wastes too much of my time as it is and its hard enough to will myself to learn actionscript 3.

Hexen != Hexen map format

You load the config file and have it point to your doom2.wad. All it does is give you the flexibility of Hexen mapping in Doom. This also means you can use thing specials like in Hexen. And that's what you assign to your monsters. When they die, the action is executed.

Although I'm not quite sure why you would have problems getting the nodes generated...

Cool, I did it (I got hung up because I put the tag on the thing not the sector, then got hung up again because the default floor movement speed is 0 so nothing happened until I changed it).

In doombuilder configuration I showed the zdoom hexen format where doom2 iwad is. When I 'test map' though it says 'the nodebuilder did not build the required structures. please check your map for errors or select a different nodebuilder. your map will be saved without the nodes.' (only error is 'not enough multiplayer starts' even though I put player 1-8 + the deathmatch in there). Maybe I need the new version of zdoom.

This happens sometimes for me aswell. You need 8 deathmatch starters. If you use only one, then all the players will telefrag eachother upon gamestart.

8 deathmatch starts got rid of all map errors, but it still prompts: 'the nodebuilder did not build the required structures. please check your map for errors or select a different nodebuilder. your map will be saved without the nodes.'

I could probably just google.

Have you tried running an error checker on the map? Perhaps you have some bad sectors or linedefs or something that preventing the nodesbuilder from executing properly...