Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaechireon

Problem using WhackEd2

I'm trying to use WhackEd2 to turn the Wolfenstein SS into a non-comical monster that fires Commander Keens which have been turned into projectiles. However, now the Wolfy is unshootable, and the Commander Keens don't disappear. I also don't know how to set when the actor becomes fully bright. Also, while both ZDoom and Legacy will make use of the 8 angle sprite replacements I plunked in for the attack states, are there any Boom ports that might not be so forgiving and require that I do something extra before this happens?

This is the stuff I plunked in.

Thing 24 (Satyr)
Pain chance = 4
Exploding frame = 0
Bits = SOLID + SHOOTABLE + JUSTHIT + COUNTKILL
Respawn frame = 0

Thing 25 (Satyr Fireball)
Hit points = 1000
Alert sound = 16
Reaction time = 0
Injury frame = 0
Pain chance = 0
Pain sound = 0
Death frame = 766
Death sound = 17
Speed = 2949120
Width = 458752
Height = 655360
Missile damage = 12
Bits = NOGRAVITY + MISSILE

As far as I know, it's impossible to create a new projectile. Or rather, there's no way to tell an enemy to "fire this projectile" other than with the attack codepointers that are already set in stone for imps, cacos, barons, etc. The only idea I did have at one point was to replace the Lost Soul with a "true" projectile that dies on impact, thus effectively adding a new missile at the expense of the Lost Soul. I haven't actually tested it, though.

Ryathaen said:

As far as I know, it's impossible to create a new projectile. Or rather, there's no way to tell an enemy to "fire this projectile" other than with the attack codepointers that are already set in stone for imps, cacos, barons, etc. The only idea I did have at one point was to replace the Lost Soul with a "true" projectile that dies on impact, thus effectively adding a new missile at the expense of the Lost Soul. I haven't actually tested it, though.

I tried that same idea with the Lost Soul a whole bunch of times for Knee-Deep in KDiZD. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to reliably die on impact, so they'd just hit walls and stick there. :(

Ryathaen said:

Or rather, there's no way to tell an enemy to "fire this projectile" other than with the attack codepointers that are already set in stone for imps, cacos, barons, etc.

They're not set in stone. It's easy to change any codepointer in the game to another. So you make the zombieman fire a caco projectile for instance.

Right, but you can't tell the caco attack codepointer to fire a thing other than its normal caco fireball, you can only swap it out for one of the other monsters' attack types.

I managed to get the SS replacement to do new stuff, tossing fatty shots and all, but now for some reason the DEHACKED thing won't work on Legacy, but it will work on ZDoom. That's not exactly good, seeing how this wad is meant to be Boom compatible. What should I do to fix that?

Legacy isn't fully boom-compatible, if I remember correctly. Try it in PrBoom. There's some compatibility level you should set to test for actual Boom.exe compatibility, but I can't remember what it is, and I doubt it'll have much effect on the behavior of your dehacked patch, anyway.

esselfortium said:

Try it in PrBoom. There's some compatibility level you should set to test for actual Boom.exe compatibility

It's 9. But please use PrBoom-plus, as this features, amongst other things, improvements in Boom and dehacked compatibility.

Or use Boom itself, of course.

Uh.. okay. Its telling me "CheckIWAD: IWAD tag doom2.wad not present" after I copied Doom2.wad into the directory. What does that mean?