Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

Zealots [Fallout rant]

I was looking around the net,feeling a bit nostalgic and still waiting for fallout 3 to come out when I came across a message board.And damn people,Fallout fans are overzealous.I mean these guys would rather see a great series die than hand it over to bethesda.I mean I haven't met many people that said "The elderscrolls sucked!" but still,they did a kick ass job with their series.Why can't they just wait til fallout 3 comes out and then start the whole bitching process.And yes I know that doom fans are the same way and sometimes we will threaten someone with their life when the good name of ID or doom is drug through the dirt(i.e. the horrible doom movie)but doom fans pale in comarison to those guys.If you doubt me go check it out and see how they flame people when they bring up the Idea of a Fallout mod for NWN or Morrowind.Interplay/Black Isle is dead guys,move on with you lives!Ok,I'm done ranting

I'm a lurker and post once in a while in the No Mutants Allowed forums. I kind of agree and disagree with the guys there about Fallout 3.

I'm a huge Fallout fan and the game is very dear to me. One of my absolute favorites. When I heard Bethesda was picking it up, I was pretty pissed. First reason is because Bethesda has screwed up a franchise pretty badly before. One of their Star Trek games was BAD. I mean, really^1,000,000 + bad. The fans of the Star Trek games were pissed. Also, personally, I thought Morrowind and Oblivion were really boring games, and alot of other(more older players)RPG players thought it sucked as well. It seemed the only people who really liked it were young kids who were into "cool" next-gen, HDR, bloom filled graphics.

Now, Fallout 3...I hate the way it looks so far. I thought it should have been isometric and turn-based like the first two games. However, I'm a realist and I realize Bethesda needs to market the game towards the younger generation who has a shorter attention span and is much more impatient to play TB games (I'm stereotyping and generalizing here) and has been spoiled by 3d graphics since the day they were born so, for Bethesda to make a 2d, isometric game just doesn't make sense. It isn't going to make any money. I think Fallout 3 will be a great game on its own, but I'm not sure if it will capture the spirit of the Fallout universe.

Welcome to No Mutants Allowed, Haloless. It's considered the cesspool of fan sites by even the most retarded of communities.

Don't worry, anyone and everyone even remotely connected to NMA doesn't count as an intelligent being. They used to bash the fuck out of Van Buren before they adopted it as the lost holy relic of the true believers.

They're just mongoloids ranting about intelligent gameplay and paradise lost in game design by fiercely defending a badly aging great game glorified by the shock culture factor of allowign you to dynamite pickpocketing kids, be raped by supermutants and not having a fucking working inventory/companion interaction system...ok, maybe not because of that last part.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/fallout-scarleteen-armenianclub.php

Well, I don't think we got quite as religious about the third coming of doom. I'm looking forward to fallout 3, maybe because I've just started playing the series recently, and I wouldn't mind seeing where they take it. It's a really good game, however it does get tedious. We'll see, I won't be heart broken either way. As for doom 3, I didn't much care for it, but the world didn't end, and I didn't think it would.

leileilol said:

Well, Liam pretty much predicted spot-on what happened. Most of us were like "hay Doom 3 is pretty cool" but got tired of it quickly and went back to 1+2.

Anyway, I'm a huge Fallout fan, but I quiver in anticipation of playing Fallout 3. Well, I would if I could dream of affording a computer that could run it. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to play it until many years down the line.

What I DO fear is the rumors that Uwe Boll has been trying to acquire rights to a Fallout film. Yikes. Fortunately, those rumors have been going around for years so probably aren't true.

There was a time I was worried that doomworld was headed towards that. Every time I hear someone whine about half-life ruining First Person Shooters or source ports 'slowly killing what makes doom great' and praise what really are flat out faults in the game (low resolutions, the in ability to look up and down, abstract maps ect.) as 'staying true to the game'...

Nah. We're fine. We're pretty lucky actually. Probably because doom it's self (as a game and as a modding platform) is so accessible that we still get people picking it up for the first time even nowadays. an influx of newbies, while small and at times annoying, is nesscery to keep things into prospective.

I only got into fallout about two years ago, and it was a pain in the arse to get the hang of. Sorry fanboys. Fallout isometric turn-based gameplay was NOT one of it's strong points. It was damn annoying. If it wasn't for people insisting it was mana from gameplay heaven I wouldn't have bothered. I'm glad I did, wondering free about the wastes, soaking up the atmosphere and having all kinds of crazy adventures is the kind of things RPG dreams are made of, but the interface is stupidly outdated and not newbie friendly. Stuff like that doesn't make new fans as easily.

Hey, I love the turn basedness of it. It makes to so much more strategic. Of course, this is coming from someone whose favorite games include the Civ series, the Total War series, and Wesnoth.

I don't mind turn based combat, but the way fallout handled it was downright stupid at times.

Remember the Den? when you got into a fight and a jet junky decided to run away, but his walking animation is so damn slow that it makes every turn take 20 minutes?

It's true that doom fans are just as adamant about someone screwing up a doom game/movie and taking away the fun of doom.But the whole thing about lynching some poor kid that just wants a different storyline in the fallout universe or that he cant get into the turn based rpg feel of the series but likes the whole post apocolyptic setting doesn't make sense.

I have to disagree about the opinion on the elderscrolls series though.I did't start out playing morrowind(though it was damn fun)the first one I played was Daggerfall.It was so mind blowing when it first came out because of the massive size of the world and the amout of stuff you could do in that world.Thats the first rpg that I played and I still play it from time to time.

And I'll be damned if I let some hack director fuck up a good francise with his horrible movies.Didn't he direct that dungeon siege movie?

As someone who isn't a fan of the Fallout series, I don't care what happens to it. I'm an ignorant newb who's going to mildly enjoy Fallout 3 as my first Fallout expirience (I played a demo of Tactics, but all I remember from it is ripping people in half), laughing maniacally knowing that I'm entertained by it as a gamer, and not clouded by retarded nonsensical fanboyism, just like I did with Shadowrun.

Captain Red said:

I don't mind turn based combat, but the way fallout handled it was downright stupid at times.

Remember the Den? when you got into a fight and a jet junky decided to run away, but his walking animation is so damn slow that it makes every turn take 20 minutes?

Ah yeah, the Den. But you could speed up combat in the options menu. What they really should have done was make all the junkies not matter in combat or something.

Coopersville said:
As someone who isn't a fan of the Fallout series, I don't care what happens to it. I'm an ignorant newb who's going to mildly enjoy Fallout 3 as my first Fallout expirience

Same here, I don't have any expectations for it based on games that I haven't played except for Bethesdea's Oblivion, which I quite liked.
Also when game series seem like they're gonna go downhill with a new title/content (whether it be a new developer, game style, ect.) it should never be exactly like the originals (unless its a planned remake/rendition) since you can always play the ones that you did like. The only genre that can't do this is Online-only games (SWG for example).

Coopersville said:

As someone who isn't a fan of the Fallout series, I don't care what happens to it. I'm an ignorant newb who's going to mildly enjoy Fallout 3 as my first Fallout expirience (I played a demo of Tactics, but all I remember from it is ripping people in half), laughing maniacally knowing that I'm entertained by it as a gamer, and not clouded by retarded nonsensical fanboyism, just like I did with Shadowrun.

Are you talking about the new one or the old one...or do you play the pen and paper shadowrun.The best shadowrun was the one for genisis,hands down.I wasn't to happy about them turning shadowrun into a damn UT clone...it would have done fine if they kept the whole Cyberpunk rpg feel.

Fallout's combat system and interface are manna from gameplay heaven, period.

Not even going to bother trying F3.