Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lupinx-Kassman

What megawads have you ever *complete*?

There are many great megawads out there. But when you play a megawad, do you usually play it all the way through? Or do you get to a point where you decide to skip around to later levels or start cheating your way through them?

In other words: What megawads if any have you actually played from the first map to the end, preferably without using cheats?

Megawads I *complete*:

Twilight Zone 2 <--Got hooked for some reason.

OPERATION: Biowar <--It was the first pwad I played, the new gfx and music amazed me at the time, so I played it all the way through.

Bella 2 <--Despite what others say, I found the gameplay and architecture of the maps solid, and the constant change of theme kept me interested until the end.

Requiem <--Definitely one of the earlier wads I ever played, I can't just describe this as other than awesome. The graphics, the music, the gameplay, everything flowed together great.

EDIT: How could I forget? I played Batman Doom from beginning to end as well. One of those wads where the experience is much better if played thoroughly without cheats.

EDIT2: Doom: A megawad in 2 weeks.
I know its an Iwad but- TNT: Evilution.

I'm not saying other megawads are bad. In fact there are many great ones out there, some better than these perhaps, but these are the ones which I happened to complete for some reason. Probably because I didn't have much to do back at the time I played them :P.

Counting everything from 20 maps upwards I completely played the following:

Strain
Perdition's Gate
Hell To Pay
DSV4
Herian 2 (although I removed 2 levels from it after the first playthrough because I didn't like them at all)
TVR (The Revolution)
Daedalus
Scythe 2 (after removing quite a few monsters from the slaughter maps. :D)

With everything else there were maps I skipped after playing a few minutes.

Heh, I usualy idclev a little through the maps to see wether they are to my taste, if they look too bland I give up on playing. But if I decide to play, then I'll play through the whole thing consecutively and without cheating on UV, even if I find some parts boring or frustrating. I don't skip anything, since I hate pistol-starting levels. I usually don't like anything too extreme, though, whether it's too complicated or overly hard.

This way, I've played through the classic MWs: Requiem, Alien Vendetta, MM 1&2, Scythe 2, HR, HR 2, Doom 64 tc, Darkening 1&2, The Rebirth, NDCP, Evilution, Plutonia and many others. Right now I'm still going through Eternal Doom and CC2. If it's good quality, I'll probably play it sometime.

I don't think I'll ever go through Deus Vult II, though, since it's too tough for me and lags on my PC due to all the detail, so I'll just admire the effort instead.

Alien Vendetta, Deus Vult, Rebirth and Scythe.
I should finish Scythe 2, Deus Vult 2, Ks and Tvr! soon :|

While playing through Doom 2, I kept looking at the Doom FAQ, noting any secret, something which quickly spoiled the unknown. I was also cheating a lot when things got horrible. After the Doom 2 wad, I decided to stop playing with the idiotic cheats.

First megawad I got, ever, was Hell Revealed. Naturally I got bored, because the music and the architecture wasn't at all to my expectances of hell and satanism.

Then, many years later, I got Alien Vendetta. Helluva. I used Eternity and I actually finished it. ONE WAD.

Then I continued by playing Hell Revealed. Now loved the music and the wittier challenges. Finished, though I thought MAP24 was too brutal (hey, it's better), but MAP26 sucked (sorry Donner/Niv) as it was frustrating and the high monster difficulty thing was getting old. I never got to MAP31 or MAP32, but I guess I should be glad. They're supposedly the hardest of the set.

Then I finished TNT. Not a hard Doom game, but very immersive, what with all the wide architecture and moderate challenge.

Lastly, I got to Heroes 1. Was perfect as an experience for playing Doom on DOSBox for the first time, when it finally began to run at proper performance.

PLUTONIA - no. Too difficult, not quite engaging (I might try to end it when I like to destroy difficult demons)

HELL REVEALED 2 - no. See above, but more acute. It makes almost no sense to play the maps in order. They better be played by -warp choice. And killing tough megademons with rocket launcher makes the imps/demons feel utterly useless and Doom 2 overall repetitive (not that it ain't already).

REQUIEM - no. Looks cool, but kinda repetitive and unpromising in environment evolution. I don't see how a late map could be more intense than an earlier map (don't blame me for not naming them).

What I expect of a good megawad, that makes me wanna go to the end, is the environment evolution (base->demibase->hell->outerworld) and raising challenge.

Note that KDiZD, Darkening 1 and 2, DODEAD, Crusades aren't megawads. They're only one episode each. I don't know how the hell KDiZD was uploaded to the megawads folder of plain Doom maps. Totally wrong.

The only ones I remember completing are Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2, Fragport, Super Sonic Doom, Requiem, Herian 2, Revolution!, Megawad in 2 Weeks, and Scientist 2 (if that one counts). Most of the time, when I play megawads, I try to see how long I could play them without dying. When I do, I IDCLEV to the next levels just to check them out.

Requiem, Eternal DOOM, DOOM 64 TC, CIF 3, DOOM: A Megawad in Two Weeks.

I enjoyed them all but Requiem.

I've never finished a megawad :(

As far as I can remember, the closest I've come is Alien Vendetta, which I played to somewhere around map27. After that the closest would be Scythe 2, which I played up to around map20-something I think. It's rare for megawads to be able to hold my attention for long, and they usually get too difficult for me towards the end if I actually do get that far. :p

I do like playing through shorter episodes, though. Suspended in Dusk is a favorite of mine, and I've played through RTC-3057 hub1 a few times as well. A couple weeks ago I finally got around to playing KDiZD from beginning to end.

Requiem, AV, Scythe 2, TVR, Batman Doom, Biowar, CC3, 1monster, 1024 congestion, TNT, Plutonia, probably others too.

I've completed every level in numerous megawads on UV with 100% kills, no savegames, and starting every level from pistol start (AV, Scythe, Plutonia, Requiem, and CC3 amongst others.) However, I didn't complete all of these in the default order. Whenever I got to a map that I died on repeatedly, I simply IDCLEV-ed to the next map and came back to the earlier one later when I felt that I could do it. I personally prefer to skip around and play the largest/hardest levels last if they're not already in that order.

Probably pretty much everything in the /megawads directory at some point or another. Usually when a new megawad comes out I'll play it through at least once unless it's really awful.

I think my most memorable megawad experience though would have to be waking up at like 6 a.m. the day Memento Mori II came out. I was still on a 28.8 modem back then, so it was taking like two hours to download. I left to get some breakfast or something and my brother went on the computer and somehow cancelled the download, so I had to start it all over again. But it was worth it, for its time, MM2 blew me away more than any other megawad has before or since.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Fiskmaps. I couldn't beat it without IDDQD and IDKFA on I'm Too Young To Die by the way.

Lucymaps. It's hysterically awful, but god damn, it's fun for some odd reason. The epic tiny 4-unit switch on MAP26 after the "staircase of death" is amazing.

Doom, Doom2, Plutonia, TNT (thought it's been quite a while)
Doom 64
Congestion 1024
Scythe2
DVII

I enjoy smaller packs though since I also find it difficult to finish a Megawad all the way through.

printz said:Note that KDiZD, Darkening 1 and 2, DODEAD, Crusades aren't megawads. They're only one episode each. I don't know how the hell KDiZD was uploaded to the megawads folder of plain Doom maps. Totally wrong. [/B]

A wad doesn't have to have 32 maps, or even 30, to be classed as a megawad. IIRC idgames defines any wad with ten or more levels as a megawad.

KDIZD has 10 levels (technically 12, if you count the titlemap and intermap), Darkening E1 has 11 (each of which has completely separate single player and DM areas), and Darkening E2 has 24 (12 singleplayer and 12 DM). Crusades and Dawn of the Dead are indeed only episodes, but then they're not stored under the megawads folder.

You're right that KDIZD is stored in the wrong folder, though ;).

Other than the commercial Iwads, none. Although I have played through Aliens Vendetta in Coop. But we cheated once, cause for some reason we couldn't find the exit in map20. :p

I alsmost got all the way through Batman doom, but I don't think it counts, cause it's a TC.

Most I've played I've completed. The ones I haven't have either been because it's been too complicated, or I find a new wad that I want to try.

The ones I've completted are: Eternal Doom 1-3, Icarus, Memento Mori 2, Biowar, Fragport, Super Sonic Doom, Eternal Doom RFO sampler, Daedalus...and that's all I can remember for now

Well I've played through a couple in coop. It's not cheating officially, but it sorta is 'cos you can just die and reappear, especially with keep keys-weapons-ammo enabled (mainly 'cos on the huge levels like f.ex Scythe II, having to go around and collect all the weapons every time you die can get a little tedious).

Megawads I have completed (either by myself or in the above-mentioned coop way):

Doom (The Ultimate)
Doom II
Doom 64 (but on the actual N64)
Scythe
Scythe II
DVII (and DV but it cannot be classified as a megawad no matter how you look at it :P)
KDiZD
Both episodes of Demon Eclipse (which might not count but the hell)
World of Death, I think it was the first custom one I played

There are probably one or two more but they musta been REALLY early on, when I didn't have access to many Doom WADs and they were all I had to play.

Plutonia (about ten years ago) several times on UV,
Scythe and Scythe II, both several times on UV. Thanx to Erik, these MWs rock!

Tried to play some other MWs, but wasn't involved enough to stay in.

It's been so long that sometimes I don't know. Some that I remember or think I'm pretty sure I played completely (in addition to id's two games):

Memento Mori, Memento Mori II, Requiem, Hell Revealed, The Plutonia Experiment, Evilution, Alien Vendetta, Biowar, The Rebirth, Revolution!, Vile Flesh, 2002: A Doom Odyssey, Kama Sutra, Coopbuildlm, Scythe, Scythe II, Demonfear, Eternal Doom, Extremal Doom, Mars War, Scientist II, NJDoom, NJDoom II, Gothic DM, Dwango 5, Perdition's Gate, Cyberdreams, Icarus: Alien Vanguard, 10 Sectors

In some cases I could have played sections separately, or also online on public servers where you can easily play portions.

MM2, Requiem, Icarus, Scythe, Cchest 2, Eternal Doom 3

The only Megawad I've finished the whole way through is Alien Vendetta, in Cooperative. Normally I never finish Megawads because I need variation and can't put up with the same thing for 30 levels.

Hm, I actually tend to finish what I start. However, I might have several megawads in progress at one time. Right now I'm almost done Eternal Doom and about ten levels into Strain.

The only megawad I can think of that I started but didn't finish is Hell Revealed. I got tired of its style; the slaughter maps were either too hard or too repetitive after a while. For the same reasons, it took me two separate attempts to finish Alien Vendetta - the first time, I got scared away by the slaughter maps, and the second time, I simply grit my teeth to get through to map 30 so that I could conclude the megawad properly. I guess closure is important to me.

I usually idclev to each level and finish them in order, though. Pistol starting is just more interesting. Though, Strain is praised in the 10 years feature for its impeccable balance, so I'm playing it as an episode.