Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SamBeckett94

People's Musical Interest

I was listening to my old vinyls the other day, and I began to wonder about other people's musical interests. Think of thsi as a bit of an informal survey.

I myself am a big fan of jazz, my favorite two jazz artists being Charlie Parker and John Coltrane. I do also enjoy ska and reggae, my favorite ska artist being Prince Buster.
I also enjoy some 'classical' rock (things like 'The Beatles'). I sometimes listen to Status Quo. They're don't do classical rock, but they're good. Actually, I still go to a lot of their gigs.
I believe that the only modern musical artist I like is Mr. Bungle (Mike Patton, Trevor Dunn, Trey Spruance, Clinton 'Bär' McKinnon and Trevor Dunn) who did a lot of experimental stuff.

Anyway, shoot, I'd be interested to hear.

I uh, actually listen to a lot of video game music. :P Castlevania, Megaman, Street Fighter, Metroid, etc

On top of that I really like Jazz but I don't have a lot of it. There's actually an awesome Megaman X Jazz Remix Album that I really enjoy listening to, and recently I picked up one of Joe Sha-Shaty's (awesome sax player) CDs.

I also listen to some Joe Satriani, Van Halen, and Collective Soul.

Metal, Horror Punk, Hard Rock, Alternative.

Favourite examples:

Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Demons & Wizards
GWAR
HORSE The Band
King Diamond
Mercyful Fate
Misfits
Danzig
Metallica
Yngwie Malmsteen

The only thing I ever really listen to is video game music. Mostly stuff from the Classic Mega Man series, Mega Man X series, Mega Man Zero series, Mega Man ZX and ZX: Advent, Vectorman, the Metal Slug series, and the Metal Gear Solid series. Oh, and of course there are the remixes for those video game series too.

Almost anything as long as it's "good." It would be easier to list the genres which I don't like than the once which I like. Rap, American pop and black/doom metal and similar, no thanks.

I got into music "late" but had a brief Reggae phase i can vaguely remember, don't even know why
When i did it was Punk, and only punk, for bloody years. Especially Stiff Little Fingers (who i still like to go and see) and later Oi Polloi, who are like ultra-left-wing nutters who sing about smashing up animal testing labs and killing rich people for daring to, er, spend money. Twats.
Later on, after playing Vice City i got into 80's stuff, which gradually transmuted into a love of Metal around the time Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" came out
The love of Metal turned into going to local gigs where metal bands where playing alongside the Reggae/Ska lot, which kicked off another brief interest in that sort of thing. Not least in the Canadian band Zeroscape, who started off as plain metal but have started injecting a bit of reggae in.
Just before i started uni i discovered the Macc Lads, who are like a pisstake punk/metal band who swear a lot and sing about bodily functions, beer and northern stereotypes. I also made some "metal" friends so listened to that a bit more
I then got a boyfriend who was into Industrial/EBM/Darkwave/whateverthefucktheycallit. This made me briefly get into The Birthday Massacre and, uh, Sisters Of Mercy. But i got bored of it pretty quickly (in about a month)
I then had a brief flirtation with Doom Metal, which is metal that is slowed down with 'intelligible' (by comparison) lyrics...
Then i saw Michael Palin on the telly and rememeberd that the Soviet Union anthem sounded awesome, so i downloaded that and plenty of others. I had also become interested in Fascism but had only heard of one song (Giovinezza) so i looked for others, and they are good too. Good quality recordings are hard to come by though (one website has 're recorded' the songs... on a casio keyboard with 80's echo effects on the singing!). That got me onto generic classical and i have been mainly listening to Tchaikovsky and Elgar. Thoguh that's rare as i'm going off music altogether

Children of Bodom.

I like strong and complete-feeling music, and CoB works for me.

Pretty much everything, actually. But I tend to listen to older heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest), older trance (stuff from the mid to late 90s), J-Pop (Utada Hikaru, Koda Kumi, Oda Kazumasa), and EBM/Futurepop (VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, Front 242) the most.

Metal: Thrash, Death, Melodic Death, Industrial, Black, Symphonic black, and Power to a certain extent.
Other than that, some hard rock, movie/game soundtracks.
Though I don't really need to post this part here, since this community seems pretty intelligent and mature, I'd just like to state that it's really not necessary to listen to 561564561651651564 different genres of music. If you listen to a huge variety, good for you. If you "restrict" yourself to a few genres, there's nothing wrong with that, though it's better if you listen to something from a certain genre before you decide to never listen to it.

printz said:

Children of Bodom.

I like strong and complete-feeling music, and CoB works for me.

On that subject, what genre of metal is Children of Bodom? Everywhere I look them up, I get conflicting reports. Yahoo music says black metal(yeah, right), I read elsewhere that they were melodic death metal(much more believable), and even elsewhere I've seen them called power metal(not very believable, power metal is the more "happy", upbeat style of metal).

I've pretty much listened to nothing but The Beatles for the last year. I decided to go through and absorb all their albums systematically in chronological order, abstaining from the next for as long as I can. I'm on the White Album now.

Before (and presumably after), I listened to Pink Floyd, NiN, Tenacious D... God, I'm ashamed I can't think of anymore, but it's 4AM here and fuck this I'm sleeping.

I like most forms of rock, mostly the "classic" style, but some relatively new stuff as well.

Metallica
Nine Inch Nails
The Strokes
Franz Ferdinand (only a couple of their songs)
Muse (Isn't classic at all, but I do like a couple from here.)

Also, im not going to lie. I really like video game music.

Megaman
Megaman X (Especially like remixes of the music from the first three games)
Megaman Zero (Music from the first game was a bit meh, but after that the music was actually really good.)
Castlevania series
Doom remixes

What I DON'T like:

Most rap in general.
Death Metal (Cannibal Corpse, repetetive music and fucked up lyrics. Good for a laugh though.)

I listen to psychedelic trance, dub, ambient, psychedelic rock, spacerock, classical music etc. Anything that has the feeling that it's been composed with love for the music instead of money in mind goes for me.

Some favourite artists are:

Psychedelic Trance:

Hallucinogen
Koxbox
Psychopod
Prometheus
Cosmosis
Voice of COD

Son Kite
Ticon

Ambient:

Shpongle
Younger Brother
Perpetual Loop
Entheogenic
The Infinity Project
Celtic Cross

Psychedelic Rock:

Ozric Tentacles
The Doors
Hidria Spacefolk

Classical:

Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin & Edward Crieg for example.

My tastes are pretty eclectic, a lot of modern alternative, a lot of British pop music, a lot of hip-hop, with some classic rock and electronic/game music thrown in for good measure.

My last.fm will give you a better idea of what artists I listen to specifically, so I don't have to just geekily list names here:

http://www.last.fm/user/SlowCountry21

I've been listening to lots of minimal techno and post-rock lately.

Hmmm.

My big three bands would probably be Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains, and Godflesh. I also enjoy video game music, but not that beepy chiptune shit.

My favorite genre is the blues, particularly Stevie Ray Vaughan and Buddy Guy. As far as non-blues goes, I really like Blue Man Group and Cake. I also enjoy a lot of other rock and jazz.

Nardcore
Streetpunk
oi punk
little bit of ska

thats about it.

Electronica junkie here.

Im a fan of every sub-genre of it, Club, Dance, Trance, Rave, Progressive, House, Breakbeat, Acid, you name it

Current playlist could be a decent indication.

Organized by stuff I've ripped [music], stuff I've ripped [spoken word], anything I've downloaded.

And my old recordings.

This doesn't include ~2,000 files from disorganized/incoming tracks.

Metal (primarily traditional/heavy, power and thrash), electronic and various movie/game soundtracks. I'll just name some highlights from metal and soundtracks, just because:

Metal:
Battlelore
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Dream Evil
Hammerfall
Megadeth
Metallica (pre-Load)
Rhapsody (of Fire)
Slayer

Soundtracks:
Conan the Barbarian
Doom/Doom II
Godzilla movies
Gundam Wing
Pirates of the Carribean
Various RPG's (heh, I don't even play RPG's - I just like the music :P)

Hellish Godzilla said:

Godzilla movies

I don't suppose you have that expanded one from the 1998 American movie? The ebay prices are just stupid, especially for something that isn't even a bootleg.

Hellish Godzilla said:

Godzilla movies

Man, I sure wish I had more of these. I only have two, "Monster Mania", which is more of a compilation, and the soundtrack to Destroy All Monsters.

I also have an audiobook to Godzilla vs. Mothera, but it's actually a 45 RPM vinyl.

I listen to mostly metal. I like most of the genres but not a big fan of the current "radio metal" thats out there.

a short list of some of my favorite bands:

GWAR
amon amarth
cradle of filth
kreator
blind guardian
grave digger
pantera
biohazard
metallica
iron maiden

I also enjoy reggae, latin, old school hip hop, and classical music.

Lüt said:

I don't suppose you have that expanded one from the 1998 American movie? The ebay prices are just stupid, especially for something that isn't even a bootleg.

I have the soundtrack on CD, but how is the expanded one any different?

Jim Rainer said:

On that subject, what genre of metal is Children of Bodom? Everywhere I look them up, I get conflicting reports. Yahoo music says black metal(yeah, right), I read elsewhere that they were melodic death metal(much more believable), and even elsewhere I've seen them called power metal(not very believable, power metal is the more "happy", upbeat style of metal).

Metal :P According to the group's wikipedia article, they don't really care, so it's only a "metal" group. Perhaps MDM if all else fails.

Lüt said:

Current playlist could be a decent indication.

I'm flattered to find 20 of my old pieces there (even if that's just because you forgot to delete them).

As for me, I've spent the last two or so years going through the works of Bach (with a lot left to do). Besides that, I listen to a lot of jazz, and if I'm in the mood, various forms of rock. And game soundtracks, of course.