Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Artillery

how to make a thing dissapear?

I'm not sure wether this question was already tackled somewhere, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Basically, I want to put a key on a nice pedestal, but when a player reaches for it, it suddenly dissapears and (silently) teleports somewhere else. I know dissapearing objects trick is possible with some ports (doomsday, risen 3d, I think), and I know it's there in doom 64 tc, perhaps in some gzdoom maps as well.

However I could swear, I've seen this in an older boom, or even vanilla compatible map or two from the nineties, though I can't remember exactly where.

I know it involves some special linedef action trick, and it basically requires two same keys in a map, so the question is, does anyone know how the trick is performed in vanilla or boom maps?

Unnnnhhh...

I've checked the instant lifts tricks and it looks too complicated for my (not so impressive) mapping skills, but thanks anyway.

1. You create a sector that the key will be on. Create a dummy sector somewhere whose linedefs reference this sector. Give it a tag of X.

2. You then create an adjacent sector whose ceiling height is at the height you would like the key's sector to drop to. This sector is adjacent to your dummy sector that the key is in.

3. Use the linedef type "W1 Raise Floor to Highest Adjacent Ceiling" on the lines you want to trigger the action. Gives these lines a tag of X.

4. Presto, sector drops instantly when walking over the trigger lines.

Note: You might have to play around with the sector's shape, so that when it drops, the key does not get stuck on the sides and refuse to lower with the sector. An easy way of solving this is by using dehacked to reduce the radius of the key thing. Any areas larger than 32 x 32 will allow the player to fall in the hole and get stuck, so don't make it too large. Also, do not give the sector any lower textures; this will make the surrounding flat bleed over the hole, concealing it, making it look 100% genuine. Finally, if the dummy sectors are far away enough from the actual key, you shouldn't be able to hear the sound of the platform moving.

Is there any vanilla Doom way of concealing the key without thinning it by Dehacked?

The only way I know is to prevent the player from reaching the key anyway, by closing a door.

EarthQuake said:
3. Use the linedef type "W1 Raise Floor to Highest Adjacent Ceiling" on the lines you want to trigger the action. Gives these lines a tag of X.

Sorry for the hassle, but can you tell me the exact number of the linedef action required. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Apparently I'm a dumbass.

Also, whenever any action is performed, the sector the key is on simply "ignores" the adjacent dummy, and happily lowers to the height of the floor of the sector that is adjacent to it (the REAL sector, that is), leaving only a fugly HOM, while the key remains on the same sector. I can't put it any simpler, but I tried it again in a newly drawn room, the result is the same since I'm doing something wrong, dammit!

P.S. Excuse my disorientation, I still haven't fully befriended DB.

deathbringer said:

Making the sector big enough for the key

Thank you very much, but I know that, and in this way it would create a pit of Doom for the careless player.

I think the only possibility is to shut the door to the key, nothing else.

printz said:

Thank you very much, but I know that, and in this way it would create a pit of Doom for the careless player.

I think the only possibility is to shut the door to the key, nothing else.

Well, not perfect, but one possibility is to replace the graphics for an inanimate non solid object such as the candle with key graphics if the idea is to lure the player into a trap.

Of course, with out at least Dehacked the only way to make said object disapear is to lower/raise it into the floor/ceiling.

With Dehacked you could give said object a "melee" attack that makes it disapear when the player makes contact with it (the teleporter graphics would be good if you also want an animation).

Okay, I figured it all out (what Earthquake said). Again, apologies for my lack of knowledge. Unfortunately, it doens't seem possible to do gracefully and easily in boom without messing with dehacked, or scripting (in newer ports) let alone vanilla, and esp. not in an environment I set for a key in my map. Nvm. Thanks for input.