Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

School project, need help

Sorry dudes, but I'm working on a project in school about the Columbine School shooting, I figured most of you guys played doom here so if someone (who sounds intelligent) could do me a favor and fill out the survey, I'd reeeeeally appreciate it. If possible, elaborate on your answers, instead of just "yes.. no.. maybe.. i dunno.. kinda". If you do a good job you get to go in my Works Cited paper too. :)

Alright so here goes.

1. Can I get your full name? (First and Last)
2. Do you have any psychological condition's such as ADHD, depression, anger, etc.?
3. Were you there, or were you aware of the Columbine High School Massacre?
4. Do you know who Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold is?
5. Did you watch News Reports during and/or shortly after the shooting?
6. Are you aware of a popular first person shooter by the name of 'Doom'? If so do you own a copy? Play it often? How often?
7. Are you aware of Anti-Video game violence activists such as Jack Thompson and MAVAV? Do you support or resist their stands? Reasons why?
8. Jack Thompson once labeled 'Doom' as a "Murder Simulator". Do you think this is a valid description of such a game? What makes or makes it not a valid description?
9. Have you, or any of your friends or family ever considered you to be a violent person? If so, did they ever consider it a serious issue?
10. What do you think may be the most violent thing you have ever done?
11. Has playing a video game such as Doom have any affiliation with that?
12. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold both have been known to have played and designed levels for Doom. As a player of Doom, do you think it is possible that playing Doom could potentially increase one's probability of wanting to kill or even harm someone? Why or why not?
13. Do your friends or family know you play Doom? Do they apporove, or at least enable your playing of that game?
14. Have you ever recognized any changes in your behavior from the time before you first found out about Doom, and to now? If so what?
15. Knowing that Doom has or has not changed your behavior since you started playing it, what about Doom persists you to continue playing it?
16. So under your own jurisdiction as a Doom player, Do you think Doom could or could not provide any additional persuasion to a person to want to harm another person? Are you confident in that answer?

Thank you for time. :)

First off, I want to stress that Doom has little, if any, relation to school shootings, and I find it somewhat objectionable that you conduct a survey based on the false connection.

Mike Swanson.

2. Do you have any psychological condition's such as ADHD, depression, anger, etc.?
I haven't been diagnosed for anything, so I have no comment. (obviously self-diagnosis is completely wrong)

I was in the 5th grade, I believe, at the time, and it was playing all over the televisions.

Yes.

Not intensively, as I was too young to have any real connection to it.

6. Are you aware of a popular first person shooter by the name of 'Doom'? If so do you own a copy? Play it often? How often?
Of course I know it and own it :) I play it fairly frequently, at least twice a week I'd say.

7. Are you aware of Anti-Video game violence activists such as Jack Thompson and MAVAV? Do you support or resist their stands? Reasons why?
Yes, I'm aware of them, and I disagree with them. Quite frankly, I think they're insane.

8. Jack Thompson once labeled 'Doom' as a "Murder Simulator". Do you think this is a valid description of such a game? What makes or makes it not a valid description?
No, it's not a valid description. Firstly, Doom could probably be best described as a fantasy game; where you're the lone survivor of a Marine corps fighting off the forces of evil and Hell. Secondly, even churches generally don't mind it, recognizing it as a fantasy with no real-life connection.

9. Have you, or any of your friends or family ever considered you to be a violent person? If so, did they ever consider it a serious issue?
No, not that I'm aware of.

I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die... No, just kidding. Hmm, the most violent thing... probably only pulling hair and that kind of stuff.

No.

12. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold both have been known to have played and designed levels for Doom. As a player of Doom, do you think it is possible that playing Doom could potentially increase one's probability of wanting to kill or even harm someone? Why or why not?
No, I believe such desires stem far outside of Doom. Perhaps rejection from family and (possible) friends; feelings of being a social outcast or general hatred of society itself. I'm not an expert on this though.

13. Do your friends or family know you play Doom? Do they apporove, or at least enable your playing of that game?
Yeah, several of my family and friends have played Doom, some of them continue to do so. Generally there's no issue whatsoever in such activities.

14. Have you ever recognized any changes in your behavior from the time before you first found out about Doom, and to now? If so what?
Beyond a love for (good) FPSes, I can't think of any behavior patterns that stemmed directly from Doom, so I believe this question is largely irrelevant to me.

15. Knowing that Doom has or has not changed your behavior since you started playing it, what about Doom persists you to continue playing it?
It's fun! Really, what else is there to keep playing? There's always a bigger challenge out there to make your fingers move at their fastest; previously thought impossible tasks can turn into the norm.

16. So under your own jurisdiction as a Doom player, Do you think Doom could or could not provide any additional persuasion to a person to want to harm another person? Are you confident in that answer?
I don't think any negative behavior truly stems from the game. I'll admit that it's not surprising such deviant people might enjoy the game, but this is a minor side-effect and cannot be used alone to judge any behavioral patterns. I'm confident in this answer.

Eh, sure, why not. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably like people to help me out. One question though, how relevant are full names to this? Edit: Oh, "worked cited". Right. Excepted you shouldn't list your participants there, as this would count as a original source of information.

1. Josh Simpson
2. I was "diagnosed" with ADHD when I was young, and slightly exhibit symptoms of ADD now. Aside from that, nothing.
3. I wasn't there, but I remember hearing about it in school shortly after it happened.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. Yes. Yes. Yes. Very.
7. Yes. I don't support their argument one bit. They have no factual evidence that Doom causes violent behavior.
8. Doom, although "realistic" for it's time, bears no resemblance to a "murder simulator". Murder, as defined by Wikipedia, is the "unlawful killing of a human person..." I don't see what's so unlawful about purging Hellspawn from our universe. I don't think they count as human either (former humans don't count, they're dead/irreversibly possessed).
9. I've been told I have a short temper sometimes, and it's much less of a problem now. No, no one ever considered it a problem. Mood swings just come with being human.
10. I ran over a nest of baby rabbits with a riding lawnmower once. Accidentally.
11. Well, Daisy's head on a pole brings back awful memories of that day...
12. I play Doom to relax. If you have a video game to kill stuff in, why do it in real life?
13. Yes. Not really sure if they approve or not, but they've never said anything about it before.
14. I started playing Doom when I was seven and I've been playing ever since. If anything, I'm a better person now that I used to be. I'm much more mellow and easy-going.
15. Doom is the greatest game of all time. I would have to write an essay to explain all the reasons why I still love it.
16. There will always been that one fucked up kid that gets his erection by harming others. It's inevitable. What it boils down to is the underlying type of person. Even if Eric and Dylan wouldn't have played Doom, I believe they still would have shot those people.

You can get my initials. A. Ä.

None that have been diagnosed.

I heard that at sometime somewhere someone shot people in a school. That's all I knew until I got an internet connection in early 2000.

Today, of course.

See 3.

By average, probably weekly. Sometimes more often, sometimes less.

Difficult to not be aware of...going by the bold assumption that Thompson is actually working for the better of the people instead of for his own gain, I partially support him. I agree that there should be some monitoring of video game content, but this monitoring should be done by the parents of the three years old kids playing GTA, CS and Manhunt, not by anyone else.

Doom is more like a hellspawn massacre abstraction. I guess Manhunt would be closest to a murder simulator.

No.

Have mock fights with my nephew.

Doom is about guns, mock fights about fists and feet.

Provided that for a reason or an other (very, very young age, mental condition, booze or drugs, etc.) you are an unstable person, then yes, it's very possible that violent media can help make you violent. For "normal" people, there should be no threat.

Yes, they do know. And I don't care what they think (for the record, all my friends play Doom too, so...).

I think I was 7 or 8 years old when I played Doom for the very first time, and now I'm 21. So, yeah, I think there might have been a few changes.

It's fun. The new maps stop it from getting too old. It can still challenge me. It's not boring unlike most modern games of the genre.

See point 12.

Andrew, and you don't get my last name.

Not that I know of.

I was aware of it later that day. Being in Colorado, it was hard not to be aware of it.

Only from the incident.

Very little. News isn't something I watch usually.

Umm...yes, very aware :^) I own a couple of copies, but these days I only play it about once a month. Back then, I played it about four hours daily.

Only Jack Thompson, whom I highly resist. While I do acknowledge that some individuals may certainly be influenced by video games in a negative way, I also see other problems. Namely, that parents need to take more responsibility. I think we also need to understand we live in a media-rich world that tricks our minds into thinking events happen more often. If we hear things more often, our minds think they're more common. It's sort of like security theater.

No. If it was a valid description, The Bible should be called a snuff story.

No. The most violent thing I've done is probably drown a spider.

No.

In most cases, no. The only case I would see this happening is in instances of unusually high levels of social stress or mental illness.

Yes, they know and have never really cared.

Yes, it's actually helped me learn how to organize thoughts, find things I'm good at, and it's also helped me traverse buildings better.

Nostalgia, mostly. That and the level designing aspect.

Again, it's very subjective and depends on the individual.

Bruce Parker

I was diagnosed once with General Anxiety Disorder, when I was 13 or 14.

Yes, but only vaguely - I would have been 8 years old when it happened.

Yes, the teens who attacked Columbine.

Not that I can recall.

I own a copy and play the game roughly two or three times a day.

Yes, I'm aware. I resist them because the way they have gone about trying to force their agendas on others is not helping anyone.

This is not a valid description, in my opinion. We're talking about a game that involves killing zombies and demons on Mars/in Hell. How is that simulating real-life murder?

No one's ever really considered me violent. Angry, perhaps, but not violent.

Probably getting in fights with my older brothers when I was younger.

Not at all.

I find it doubtful. Typically, as I understand it, the desire to commit violent acts is aroused by a person's real-life surroundings; it has nothing to do with the games one chooses to play. Only if a person already has trouble keeping fantasy and reality separate is it ever an issue.

Yes, they know. So far, nobody's complained.

I have not noticed any significant changes. Then again, I started playing Doom when I was 4, so who knows?

For me, Doom is the great stress/boredom reliever. The number of fan modifications (levels, enhancements, etc.) since it first came out basically means that I can come back to Doom and experience it differently each time. Also, Doom has an excellent online fan community that is at once supportive and creative.

I do not believe that merely playing Doom can persuade a person to act violently, whether or not they already have the intent to harm. I'm confident in this answer.

Cool this is different.

Adam Halley

No, I used to be very upset for a period of time after my gf and I broke up a while back but I don't know if this counts.

3.Were you there, or were you aware of the Columbine High School Massacre?
I saw it on the news.

Yes. Because of the shooting, obviously.

Yeah, don't remember which ones exactly though.

Yes I own and play Doom. I play it occasionally, maybe monthly on average.

Yes but I don't support them.

Jack Thompson should then say every FPS is a "murder simulator" in that case, and no I don't agree with him because Doom's mechanics doesen't really teach someone how to become an effective killer in the real world; theres no synergy.

Never was a violent kid growing up so no.

Contrary to the latter question I have done violent things before (but who hasn't?). The most violent thing is hard to recall, but I suppose one of them was injuring my brother during one of those "brotherly" fights when I was about 10. He's 3 years older than me, btw.

No, I've never had inspiration from Doom to hurt someone.

I don't think so, Doom has an action-intense atmosphere, yes. But it's old and not realistic, so to have it emulate someone to wanting to kill seems to be pretty ridiculous when there are other games out there today that seem they could do a better job doing it (and they don't). Besides, if theres anything Doom would urge someone to kill something it would be monsters.

Yes and they have no problem with it. My friends actually enjoy watching me play from time to time.

Yes one thing. My level of amazement. When the game first came out my jaw dropped, but now it's something I'm used to.

What keeps me playing Doom is a combination of it's fun factor and nostalgia from when I was younger. Plus, the game gets edited so much, that it keeps the replay value very high.

I believe as a Doom player, who has no mental conditions, that the game cannot possibly instill the urge to kill other people from playing. I can't speak for those who do have psychological conditions, however.

I've done a report on this already (My high school senior Project). Anything to help out a fellow doomer.

Adam Altizer

ADHD, (Used to have depression but not anymore)

I was aware of it.

Yes...The two gunmen in the Columbine Shooting.

I watched a News Report when it happened.

Yes I am very aware of Doom. I own a copy of Doom. Yes I play Doom very often. Everyday as a matter of fact.

Yes I am aware of Jack Thompson. No I do not support his views on video games. I believe Jack Thompson trys to use Video Games as an escape goat instead of examining a person psychologically.

This allegation is completely false. Doom is a Video Game that people play in their free time. Nothing more.

I am a violent person when I am provoked. No it is not considered a serious issue. It runs in my blood.

Broke a TV stand..shattered a few cds..Kicked a chair acrossed the room and broke other various things. (Almost broke the TV but I caught it in mid air)

Not at all. Was pissed off at something completely different.

No I do not believe it could increase the probability. Theres a line between reality and video games. Some games try to violently mimic real life situations. Giving that said, I think in the wrong hands that could potentially raise the probability of hurting someone. But a game like Doom was purely Sci-Fi in my eyes.

All of my friends and all of my family know. All of them approve it. My dad bought it for me when I was 7 years old. I've played it since. He used to get off the computer just to let me play.

Yes and no. It hasn't changed my overall behavior, but when I'm pissed off or have something on my mind I play Doom and it helps relieve the stress. If I was to ever feel violent I would play Doom to get my mind off of it. After playing it for awhile I'd be fine.

Doom is the most entertaining game I have ever played. All of the custom maps give it great replay value. It never gets boring to me.

No I do not think Doom could make a person harm others. Yes I am very confident in my answer. I've played Doom for 14 years. It has never once made me feel violent. Also I've never seen anyone become violent from playing it (And I've seen a lot of people play it).

Zach B. (You don't get my full last name)

Nope

Saw it on the news

The shooters.

Yes, but I barely remember them. It was so long ago.

Yes. Yes. No. Maybe 1 or 2 times a month.

Yes. Resist, because Jack needs to find out that it's the result of bad parenting and an unstable life and or childhood is what makes someone do things like this, and not video games.

No, because doom is such an unrealistic game that it couldn't possibly simulate murder.

No. I have a hard time watching horror moves that more than once if they're too violent or something that even slightly disturbs me, like the last scene of "The Mist" ruined it for me.

Consensual sparring. At school.

Nope.

Maybe, and this is a huge of a stretch as it could possibly get, if the person was extremely disturbed, in which case he probably shouldn't be playing videogames anyways. It's just so unrealistic.

Yes. Yes.

How people can continually innovate something to make an old product seem no again just amazes me.

Like I said above, all the new innovations.

Also Like I said, maybe if the person was extremely disturbed to the point where they shouldn't even be watching Barney, otherwise no. I am confident in my answer.

Dan Woodward

My first shrink diagnosed me with chronic depression, then gave me some bad meds. My second shrink tried to diagnose me with "Adult ADD", but that was way out of left field and he just seemed to want to sell me more meds. Most people say I act bipolar. I don't think I have anything serious, as I've never been institutionalized and I get on with my life without the help of any medication.

I remember one morning when I was in 9th grade, my friends said something about a school shooting that happened earlier. I didn't think much of it at the time, because there had been several other school shootings in the last few years that I was aware of, but the school took it seriously. They started confiscating trench coats from people. Of course, this is the same school that handed out detention slips for wearing South Park shirts. Bunch of Nazis.

Yes.

Not really, though I know the full situation now.

Yes, I own it, the sequel, and a couple of related discs. I used to play it constantly, but I haven't played it for over a year.

Never heard of the MAVAV. Jack Thompson seems like a scare-monger just trying to self-promote himself and make a quick buck.

No. Not once do you kill a human being in the game. You play as a marine trying to survive an invasion of Hellspawn and save the Earth.

No. Most people tell me I'm one of the nicest people they've met.

I had to kill and gut a lobster the other day. It made me feel a little queasy. :(

No, I had to do it as part of my job.

No. I used to play Doom to cool me off whenever I was feeling angry, and it worked quite well. I think violent video games have the opposite effect of what the media portrays when played by normal people. Eric Harris was probably a psychopath, and people who are maladjusted like him quite possibly get off on that kind of thing. Otherwise, I'm sure it's just an outlet for people. It's the same as watching or playing a violent sporting event such as football or boxing.

Yes. My dad is the one who showed me it and I used to watch him play. My parents wouldn't let me play it until I was a bit older, though.

No. Aside from the usual ordeals of growing up.

The game's atmosphere was similar to that of a good horror movie or novel. Also, I enjoyed making levels for it and thus it fueled my creativity.

Never. I am a pacifist, and consider life to be sacred. I stand by that statement 100%.

Thank you very very very much for your help guys, I really appreciate it really. I'm not totally sure if I can fit all of your surveys in my paper, but I'll try. Im glad you guys took this seriously, you were all an enormous help :)

Bloodshedder said:

MAVAV was a satire.

Oops, I guess you're right, are there any other examples along the lines of Jack Thompson that I can use? Admittedly I didn't go into a great deal of research on this subject.

James Haley

Social anxiety.

I was in my first year of college, and the news was everywhere at the time.

Yes. Eric Harris was a diagnosed psychopath and Klebold was a loner kid he brought in into his sick plan.

No, I get most of my news from the Internet. However, I was aware of most of the things going on in the television media at the time.

I have played DOOM since 1996, I own every version of the game, and I work on my own version of the game called "The Eternity Engine," which is distributed online free of charge as open-source software.

Jack Thompson is a certified idiot who has recently been up for disbarment in the State of Florida. He jumps at any conceivable event and believes that all of the ills in society are caused by video games. Just as many before him attacked Dungeons & Dragons, rock-n-roll music, swing dancing, and flapper girls.

No. The things being killed in Doom are mindless zombies and demons from Hell in a pure survival situation - either you kill them, or the entire human race dies. Not even one who confuses fantasy with reality could possibly equate the shooting of the deranged creatures in Doom with the murder of innocent people. Also, if Doom is a simulation of reality, it is a very poor one indeed, with unrealistic weapons, physics, and relatively little gore by today's standards.

No. I have never been involved in a physical altercation or committed any felonious crime.

Threw some objects.

On occasion, if the object in question is a game controller. Pertaining to Doom itself, no. I find the game quite engaging and relaxing to play.

No, I do not believe this. People who already have fantasies of killing or Satanic worship, etc., may naturally be attracted to the game due to its themes and gameplay. This would create a false assumption of causality.

Yes to all.

I spend too much time doing things related to it, such as maintaining my source port. Other than that, no.

It is one of the greatest games ever made, in terms of original play value, replayability, and the fact that you can use it to make anything you want. Also, the game has a great community around it.

Absolutely not.

I didn't read any of the replies of the others who were surveyed so that their opinions wouldn't affect mine. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

- Tre Cooper.

- None.

- Wasn't present, but was aware.

- I do know who they were.

- Yes.

- I am aware of that particular game. I own a retail copy of it; I play it regularly, perhaps a couple of hours throughout the week.

- I know of them. I am against their stances of video game violence, as I feel they're just another form of expression and art, much like film, and literature, which I find face considerably less scrutiny.

- I see, in no way, how a game like Doom simulates murder. I'd like to think, for a normal human being, that a video game doesn't invoke the emotions and instincts that killing brings forth, for one thing. Of course, there's a lot of other factors in murder that are excluded in even today's more explicit games. Basically, there's a lot more factors in commiting such an act than just simply pointing and clicking. By that logic, throwing darts at the picture of someone is a murder simulator, and I don't see anyone trying to pass laws against that.

- To take the question literally, no. To my knowledge, none of my friends, or family have considered me to be a violent person.

- I've attacked several wild animals as a child, as in before more teens. Sometimes, this resulted in their deaths.

- Never, in my mind, did I think that I was reenacting something I saw in a video game, so I don't see any affiliation between the two.

- I think it's something that could be considered on a case-by-case basis. I could see if someone was mentally unstable, that playing Doom might increase their obsession with violence and death, but for your average person, I couldn't see them getting any inspiration from it whatsoever. Doom, overall, is pretty "out there". It involves fighting rather grotesque-looking monsters, in a surreal environment, sometimes using unrealistic weaponry-- that's not even taking into account that the game's graphics are rather dated and unrealistic, as well. I can't see a connection between using your keyboard to shoot a monster with a laser canon in a video game, and actually causing someone physical pain in real life.

- Both my friends and family know I play Doom. I'm a big fan of that series of games, and own merchandise and clothing endorsing them. My family has never resistricted my ability to play the games, and neither do my friends, some of which play them as well.

- Well, Doom has been around for more than a decade, and I've known about it almost since its release. Since then, I've matured a lot, obviously, as I am an adult.

- Doom is my favourite game of all time. As a fan of video games, I find it has little to no faults. I enjoy the balance and gameplay it offers. It also has tremendous modding community, who, over the years, has provided the Doom community with a vast amount of new levels and content, which is always keeping Doom's expirience relatively fresh.

- I do not think that Doom can, in any way, persuade a normal human being into committing harm to another human being. I am confident in my answer.

Bryan K.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 8th grade.

I heard about it on the news the day it happened.

Yes. They were the killers.

Yes

I'm well aware of Doom. I've been playing it on and off for over 8 years. I own several versions of it.

I've never heard of MAVAV, but I'm familiar with Jack Thompson. I don't support his views since they're dishonest and wrong.

Doom is not a "Murder Simulator because you do not kill real people, nor do you kill them realistically.

I, nor anyone else that knows me considers me a violent person.

Punched a kid back in grade school.

No.

I think any violent game could make a person want to hurt someone if they lack self-control and have mental issues.

Nobody I know plays Doom. They don't have a problem with me playing it.

No.

The custom levels made by the Doom community make me want to keep playing it.

See my answer to question 12.

Edward Richardson

I have an un-diagnosable mental condition. What that means, is that its been checked, but doesn’t seem to fall under any specific category.

I was aware of the shooting. It’s something that you normally hear about.

Not in person. I know that they were the ‘shooters’.

I found out about this on the news, radio and the Internet. Soon after the shooting (within 20 hours I assume).

Very. I played the game since I was 3. First game I ever played on a pc (other then the commodore 64). I still play the game a lot today.

Jack Thompson, yes. MAVAV? Never heard of them/it. Most of what Jack Thompson says is completely crazy. If people are naturally violent, how can violent behaviour be developed from video games?

The term ‘murder simulator’ is used too often for First Person Shooters. Doom can’t be a murder simulator, because to think that doom is even the slightest bit real would require you to be a thick as a 2x4. Doom is hardly realistic, and therefore can’t be a simulator.

I have had people question me as a person, but not has a violent person. I have people see me as a gaming addict, and I admit that’s true.

I kicked someone in the shin

In truth, I wouldn’t know. It’s impossible to see alternate reality. However, its safe to say that I see doom as a game and reality will have no similarity to my gaming.

From reports, it stated that they used doom as a ‘planning sheet’. There is nothing there saying that they saw doom as a simulator to kill. Behaviour has a lot to do with how you where brought up. There parents could have been violent themselves, fellow peers could have treated them violently, teachers even. Using doom as an argument for there behaviour would be saying that you would have thousands of people running around shooting everyone, and the doom community would not exist for that reason.

I’m sure my parents don’t have a problem with it, otherwise I wouldn’t have been playing the game when I was 3.

I’m sorry, but that question can’t be answered because at the age I started playing, I was still learning how to talk.

Its game play and friendly community. The community is always nice to be around, and the game holds a special place in my child hood.

I don’t think doom can persuade people to kill. It depends on how you where brought up. Honestly, I think they way you where brought up could affect if you can be persuaded or not, but I think by that stage, you would be f***ed up for life anyway.

Eh, might as well.

Steve Green

I was misdiagnosed with ADHD when I was in grade school, all the meds did for me was make me vomit.

I heard about it over the radio.

Yes, the two kids who shot up the school.

Yes.

And you ask this on a website called Doomworld? Of course I dont! All sarcasm aside, yes I do know of it, and I am an active member of its community. I play it in spurts, sometimes I play it for hours on end, others I dont even touch it.

(As stated by other participants, MAVAV was a satire) I am aware of one Jack Thompson, who is a self-rightous asshole just using terrible events to push ahead his own agenda. He was seen on the site of a recent shooting, just hours after it happened, and without ANY released reports on the shooters, went right on ahead onto Fox News and blamed violent video games. I do not support this guy in the least.

Doom is about killing off evil hellspawn threatening the very survival of humankind (summarizing Doom 1 & 2), not about murdering others. There are no school levels, or child enemies, or anything about ending the lives of innocent people, only killing things that are trying to kill you and others. If anything, its an Earth Defense Simulator.

No, and I play Doom as much as the next guy.

I got into a fight with some kid who randomly snuck up behind me, tapped on my shoulder, and snapped a rubberband into my eye (true story).

Dont think so, unless the dumbass played some RBFPS (RubberBand First Person Shooter) that I dont know about.

Not in the least, violent video games (like Doom) are a stress relief mechanism. Hard day at work? Start up the game and duel a Cyberdemon. Too bored? Start a new mod project to change any and every aspect of the game.

Everyone around me knows I play Doom, mainly because I couldnt shutup about whatever I was doing awhile back. They may have been a little ticked at my talkativeness, but never said I had a problem with the game itself.

Not a bit.

Its replayability and modability. Doom is always changing nowadays, with new 'wads' being released almost once a week, some are total crap, others are pure *******.

Unless the player is a gullible 6-year-old who thinks everything is real, I seriously doubt it.

Holy shit! non-"lulz JT iz a retard" shitty gamer answers alert!

Michael Martin

Those arent "conditions", just emotions people go through. Except ADHD which is actually "in need of a fucking good kicking" but you can't do that to little shits anymore so 'they' came up with it as an excuse to legitimise scummy behaviour. Uncivilised people would probably say i had an "anger problem", but i won't let them near me, traitors.

I was luckily several hundred miles away from it. Heard about it the day after when some girl bought a newspaper on the bus

They done it

Not specifically to see that, but you couldnt really get away from it. I think it was not long after there was some outrage about no changes to the gun laws being made after Dunblane, one of those coincidences like the Mirror for 11th September 2001 having a story about Lockerbie on it

Yep, knew of it around the time it came out, though didnt own it until 1995 (Playstation) and 1999 (PC). I suppose i play it 2-3 times a month on average

Aware of Jack Thompson, what person with the internet isn't? I'm indifferent but leaning towards thier view... even if a lot of what JT says is bandwagon-jumping populist bollocks, his basic arguements about stopping the sale of violent games to the young are basically right. In fact i'd go further and say that all but educational games should be banned from sale to the very young. If only for the fact this would force developers to make good educational games that really are fun and not preachy and boring.

I thought he said that about Manhunt. Doom is more of a late 70's horror-action movie simulator

They may have done when i was younger when i'd start screaming and shouting at the slightest thing, but now i'm almost entirely non-violent, though i threaten to do sick things often

To a person, deliberatley aimed to karate chop at the base of his spine during a primary school fight. But i can't really remember, though that one does stick out because i won the fight.

Wasn't out then

[b]12. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold both have been known to have played and designed levels for Doom. As a player of Doom, do you think it is possible that playing Doom could potentially increase one's probability of wanting to kill or even harm someone? Why or why not?

I think they where pretty much violent, insane people anyway. They didnt need to be "turned" by Doom, it's more likely they themselves turned doom from harmless entertainment into "practice" in thier minds.

They are probably hazily aware but are largely indifferent. Though when i was at college (UK meaning of college!) my mum had slight reservations that i was gaming too much to be studying hard enough. Got a double-C.

It's been a very long time so my behaviour has changed a lot, but only as part of growing up

It's the only videogame that's fun, even after all this time. Even Vice City got boring in the end

If they where 'ill adjusted' a game may help them legitimise that sort of behaviour in thier minds. But when it comes down to doing it 'for real' a normal persons inhibitions would stop them, whereas a killers would not, with or without a game having been played.

PM me if it's really that important.

When I was a teenager, a psychologist diagnosed me with slight depression. It didn't seem like a big deal.

Yes, I heard it as it was happening while driving to college.

Affirmative.

Not deliberately, but it did show up on TV for weeks.

I played it more often back when it first came out, but still often enough.

My personal opinions of Thompson aside-- I disagree. Even though the debate has been done to death, I still feel that there's no concrete evidence of video games turning an emotionally balanced person into a violent one.

Seeing as how "simulator" is considered a genre of game, you couldn't call Doom a "murder simulator" any more than you could call Pong a "tennis simulator". At least by today's standards.

Perhaps when I was younger. I had a lot of hate. This was a while ago, though, and I think we all agree that it was a matter of being in the wrong environment.

I elbowed a girl in the face in 5th grade. I believe I broke her nose.

This was long before I was playing any kind of video game you'd consider violent.

No. If that were possible, I think that youth violence & crime statistics would have gone up in the last 30 years. Instead, it's gone down.

Most people in my family play video games except for my dad, but he's probably supported my gaming habit the most when I was living at home. Visiting computer conventions has become a pasttime of ours.

I think I've become more balanced, more mellow. I can't say if it's because I've been able to use hobbies like gaming as an outlet, but I wouldn't rule it out.

It's a matter of personal choice as to the kind of games I like. Plus out of all the games I own, it has to the most "replay value" for a multitude of reasons-- too long to list.

"Additional" persuasion? Well, that wording is tricky. If we're talking about a sociopath who has little understanding of consequence or human compassion, then I think violent games would only exacerbate the situation. In any other case, however, I'd go so far as to say violent games are an ideal outlet for anger and stress.

1. Patrick Pineda
2. I suffer from clinical depression
3. I lived in Littleton Colorado at the time of the shooting. I never saw much, I was 9 years old. All I remember that day was a lot of sirens.
4. Yes
5. Yes, again, it was less than a mile from my house, I was scared as hell
6. Yeah, I own it and play it pretty much every day.
7. I am aware of Jack Thompson. I disagree with his position because I think it is irresponsible to blame tragedies on Games and movies. The only ones responsible are the perpetrators and their peers.
8. Not at all. Murder is the act of one human killing another. That is an atrocity that cannot be simulated. The emotion, the rage and inhumanity it takes to kill someone can never be captured on a screen.
9. I'm a tree-huggin' liberal who protests the war in Iraq.
10. Spar regularly at a Karate school. I broke someone's nose once.
11. I've been sparring long before I even knew what DooM was.
12. Doom is a VIDEO GAME. It is only entertainment. The only thing DooM has ever made me want to kill is my computer.
13. My parents are scared shitless of me playing doom, since they knew parents of people who died at CHS
14. The only changes I've had is that, being a modder, sometimes when I'm bored in class, I will doodle Doom maps on the back of my binders.
15. I can create worlds in Doom, and its simple. If not for that, I wouldn't still be playing it.
16. Doom, or any violent game for that matter, cannot make anyone do anything. After all, its only a game. I was raised by parents who told me what was right and what was wrong. Doom had no effect on my moral standards. Doom inspired me to become a game designer, and I am currently an Art Major at the University of Northern Colorado because I want to make games. If anything, Doom has helped me find a future.

1. James Redmond
2. I've got an Anger Issue
3. Very aware
4. Yeah
5. Yeah
6. I own it and play in frequently
7. Resist 100%,The thought of some kid killing a bunch of people just because he saw it in a video game is ridiculous.They had to have had some sort of underlying problem that fed that urge to take lives.
8. Ha,if Doom is a "Murder Simulator" then what do they consider GTA?On doom you kill zombies and demons,I dont see the doom guy dragging somone out of their car and killing them executioner style in the middle of the street just to turn around and pick up a hooker then killing her.
9. My stepmom did but thats because shes a bible thumping cunt.
10. Fighting,never went any farther than that.
11. No,If I kick a guys ass its because he crossed me,not because I saw it in a game
12. No,I don't recall John Carmack and John Romero putting any kind of Message into doom telling you to kill your classmates
13. Yeah,everyone knows.They don't really care now,I mean hell.I've played Postal in front of my mom.
14. Yeah,I'm more calm than before,It's a great stress reliver(sp?)
15. Not to sound corny but doom is a part of my life.It was one of the first games I had ever played on PC.It has become a staple.
16. No I don't believe Doom or any game could persuade anyone to kill.

Ralph Vickers
No.
Aware.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes, no, never, never.
Yes. I support their stands. First amendment.
Yes. In the game you are simulating the murder of fellow soldiers (zombies or not).
No.
Hit a kid with a golf club.
Street Fighter 2
Refer to question 6.
Refer to question 6.
Refer to question 6.
Refer to question 6.
Yes it could. I am confident.

James Raynor
I get pissed pretty easy, but rarely enough to do anything physical.
I was pretty young when it happened, so I wasn't too aware.
I believe they were the columbine shooters.
No, like I said I was pretty young.
Yeah, I'm aware. I own the collector's edition. I play it very often.
Fortunately I'm aware. I resist their stands because they make things up, provide fake evidence, use religion as their reasons.
This is utterly invalid. I'm not sure how a game where you can run about 30 mph while carrying up to 8 weapons killing zombies and demons in unrealistic environments while being able to heal yourself by walking over a health kit can simulate real murders.
Not really.
I got into a fistfight and knocked someone unconcious once.
No.
No. Doom isn't a frustrating game, and killing low resolution sprites doesn't seem like anything that would push someone to kill/harm someone.
I'm the only one who plays it. They allow playing it, of course, but I can only assume approval because they haven't said otherwise.
No, any changes in my behavior I've experienced all have to do with real life and personal experiences.
The large and successful communities still in existence, the vast quantity of mods being made, and overall fun.
No, doom doesn't provide any persuasion to harm another. Yes, I'm confident in my answer.