Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Would an online Doom editor work?

First, sorry for offering nothing actual with this thread... only words.

So how would an online wad editing service be like, that would also save the data online? I think it would make people able to continue mapping anywhere there`s Internet and store no big files on disks.

Someone would have to provide a server or two and an editor that works in a client/server environment. A reasonably fast and reliable Internet connection is a must. Security and file locking protocols to support both solo and group projects? Don't forget your password.

I remember some "flash doom" that somebody had made, i think there where grand plans to make a 'chat mode' where the owner would upload a wad with DM starts in, and people would log in to the flash then enter the level and be able to 'chat' with people in it. Or kill them. Or fight monsters alongside them.

It'd probably be a lot more feasible to just store your maps in a SVN repository and use the usual editor on whatever machine you're using. The disadvantage is that you still need to install an editor. But the advantage of having your data available from anywhere is probably the more important part, IMO :)

Theoretically it would be possible to build a browser-based editor these days.

It would probably be rather slow in some operations, but on a fast computer working on small maps would not be too bad. With the advent of Adobe Air you could then save maps locally and test-run them.

I wonder...is it possible to make it a Wiki style edit? See a map on the server, say "I could make that look better", hit the edit button, then it would open up the editor zoomed into that section of the map, then when the save button is hit, the edited version is saved to the server after backups are made.

Maybe wishful thinking on the part of anyone caring enough to try, but yet completely possible if someone does...

Heh why not. With a revert button vandalism won't be a big problem. But the maps would have to be tested periodically.