Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mivalekan

Very gory NES game

Does anyone know the name of a game for the NES that was particularly gory? If I remember correctly it was some sort of castle exploration kind of game, but there were depictions of violently tortured/dismembered and gruesomely disfigured bodies all over the place.

I remember reading an article a long while back about this and saw some screenshots but I just can't remember the name.

I don't think there were any, or at least not any released here. Nintendo's american division liked to censor the hell out of things, even in the N64 days.
EDIT: Ah, your post showed up while I was typing mine, I suppose.

If it was released here, it was probably unlicensed. There were several NES games that released unlicensed here in the US for various reasons (Tengen's version of Tetris being the most popular).

Ralphis said:

what about that game splatterhouse (never played it)

Splatterhouse wasn't nearly as gory, but it wasn't ever released for a Nintendo console (except the VC).

Chiller wasn't licensed, and I think the closest the NES got to licensed gore was perhaps Monster Party. Or no? Man I loved Monster Party.

The Splatterhouse series gets better with each installment, too, the third being the best.

Well the Splatterhouse that came out on the NES wasn't really that gory. More goofy than anything else.

Then again, for gory NES games, Abadox was the goriest one I have personally played, though it's a different kind of gory than Chiller.

Heh, i was expecting "gory, yeah right, it'll be stick figures in a grey and cyan 'city' with red dots coming out of them", but that game is REALLY twisted!

Monster Party
Bionic Commando
R.E.S.C.U.E
Maniac Mansion
All of these are officially licensed by Nintendo and contain quite the gore and blood in them.

Wow... that game was really bloody. Suprised I never heard of it. I would of recommended Splatterhouse as well but ofcourse only 2 and 3 are gory, which didn't comeo ut on NES. Chiller though... wow.

Monster Party is a classic. I remember playing that when I was a kid and going "wtf". The opening scene rules too, especially the Something Awful interpretation.

Fuck man, I think NES games are like a hundred times more likely to give me nightmares than horror games in todays standards.

Richo Rosai said:

Splatterhouse wasn't nearly as gory, but it wasn't ever released for a Nintendo console (except the VC).

Even then it was still the edited copy of the original that didnt show the game its justice. I do know the original from the arcades was very gory and was banned from arcades shortly after, for such gore and religious references. Because of that they gave Splatter House another chance on sega with two new installments.

Danarchy said:
Monster Party is a classic. I remember playing that when I was a kid and going "wtf". The opening scene rules too, especially the Something Awful interpretation.

Bat. Batter. Anything is OK.

Snarboo said:

The Splatterhouse series gets better with each installment, too, the third being the best.

I second that. Splatterhouse 3 was the best of the seris. And it's the only splatterhouse game with an understandable plot.

Something that's been bothering me since I saw Chiller: why did I find it disturbing and twisted, in light of the fact that I'm posting on a forum about a game that has plenty of disturbing sights?