Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HeXploiT

How can I change the audio in Doom?

I just picked up a copy of Final Doom for pc at a pawn shop and I've decided I want to play it through for the first time in many many years.
Trouble is that for me the absolute best doom experience is with the music from the playstation. What I would like to do is Replace the original pc midi music with the mp3 recordings I have of the playstation tracks.
Is there a way to do this?

Download and install XWE. Copy and rename the mp3s to the proper filenames e.g. D_RUNNIN, D_STLKS(if they're not already named). Insert them into a new wad. It should work from there on out.

First thing's first: Copyright. Altering an IWAD is a very big no no since that is ID software's property and they hardly let anyone in creating IWAD's. So it has to be a PWAD.

Next thing: Music copyright. Even though you have the mp3's of the music the music is copyrighted to the composer and the company who the composer works for. So basicaly it's a no allready there.

Third thing: Size do matter. It all depends on how large the mp3's are. If we're say talking about 128kb quality with aproximatly 5 minutes recording then we're talking about 4.5 Mb per tune. 4.5 * 35 = 157.5 Mb for the entire PWAD with only music. That's a huge Oomph for Doom to handle. Maybe if you play it in Zdoom it could handle it but it would take very long to just load the file.

What tool to use? XWE. Copy the music resources from Final Doom into a new WAD and replace them with the PSDoom music.

:edit: Looks like Jim Rainer beat me on this one. :/edit:

Any risks I should know about? Software wise: Noone what I know abou. Copyrights then? As long as you don't distrubute it this shouldn't be a problem. But don't call foor the wolf when there is none so to say.

jobro said:

First thing's first: Copyright. Altering an IWAD is a very big no no since that is ID software's property and they hardly let anyone in creating IWAD's. So it has to be a PWAD.

Next thing: Music copyright. Even though you have the mp3's of the music the music is copyrighted to the composer and the company who the composer works for. So basicaly it's a no allready there.

Third thing: Size do matter. It all depends on how large the mp3's are. If we're say talking about 128kb quality with aproximatly 5 minutes recording then we're talking about 4.5 Mb per tune. 4.5 * 35 = 157.5 Mb for the entire PWAD with only music. That's a huge Oomph for Doom to handle. Maybe if you play it in Zdoom it could handle it but it would take very long to just load the file.

1. He made no mention of altering an IWAD.

2. He's talking about putting the music into a wad to listen to while playing, and made no mention of distribution. Copyright isn't really an issue here.

3. Unless he plans to distribute it(which he isn't), has a small hard drive, or has very little resources remaining on his computer, filesize doesn't really matter. In addition, unless his computer is very old and slow, mp3 music isn't going to drain his computer.

Warning though, Eternity crashes badly with MP3s, because of SDL's policy, reportedly. At least on my computer(s).

So for such music, either reformat the files into OGGs (I don't know how, unfort.), or use another port that supports MP3.

Hey thanks for the input everyone. I can't wait to try this out. I'm trying out some texture packs and other things and when I get everything set just perfectly then I'll be ready to play.

Just make a Doom music playlist for whatever music player you use, and turn the midi music off in game.