Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Binary Cake

Doom 1 Music

What does everyone think in general of the music from Doom 1? I seriously think it's some of the greatest music I've heard. I like the variety between hard-hitting rock (Dis), gloomy organ music (Spawning Vats), spooky ambient tracks (Deimos Lab), and even more upbeat, danceable tunes (Central Processing), and there are some rather subtle harmonies that some people probably don't pick up on.

Speaking as someone who plays the drums, I think Bobby Prince has really good percussive taste. All of the drumming is mostly in the pocket and down-to-earth, but at the same time very trippy, and at times flashy. It's really fun to learn and play to, particularly songs like on Slough of Despair or Deimos Anomaly.

What's everyone's favorite song from the Doom score? I'm having a hard time deciding, but I think that the one from Toxin Refinery is awesome.

Binary Cake said:

I seriously think it's some of the greatest music I've heard.

I agree, I listen to various versions of the Doom soundtrack quite regularly. My current favourites are "The Demons from Adrian's Pen" (E2M2), followed by Doom2's "Shawn's got the Shotgun" (Map07).

I agree with you on Spawning Vats being mysterious and pretty chilling.

Phobos Anomaly always seemed to be a sad.

Dis is generic but cool rock.

I don't know the tracks names btw.

yeah doom music is pretty damn good. i always liked e1m5 music and e1m7 music a lot.

I liked the rock tracks the most (like E1M1, E1M4, E2M3, E3M1), et cetera. And I don't really listen to much rock. I'm more of a jazz man.
But I also really liked the ambient tracks. One of my favorites was E2M4. I like to play that on my CD player really quietly on nights where I'm sitting for my nephew. It's on so quiet, he can't hear it, but he can sense it's there, and can feel the rhythm. Scares the hell out of him. He loves it, though. He loves to feel fear.

In Doom 1 Prince seems to have known well what he was composing for, because the music in Doom 2 may sound too monotonous or dramatic. Maybe that's why people seem to like the Doom 1 music more than the Doom 2 one.

Which is your favourite level 8 music? Mine is D_E3M8. I don't care that D_E2M8 is longer and more dramatic. D_E3M8 is THE final confrontation soundtrack for Doom 1. It's the heaviest of the set and suggest a final battle. d_E2M8 is lamentation next to d_E3M8 :-P

Love the music esp. E1M5.
E1M8 music perfectly represents the strange "what's going on feeling"... and it's slightly melancholic because your shareware journey is about to end.

To me D_E1M8 sounds like mourning music.

And Doom 2's victory music's first half is like a fanfare music.

_bruce_ said:

E1M8 music perfectly represents the strange "what's going on feeling"... and it's slightly melancholic because your shareware journey is about to end.

Har har at the shareware comparison. :P If I recall, however, the shareware version's take on E1M8 is actually an earlier version of the song from E2M6 (Halls of the Damned). It sounds rather different...And, speaking as someone who played the hell (pun intended) out of the shareware version long before he finally got the full effect, I guess I naturally tend to like it better, in addition to the other earlier versions of the songs from KDItD.

...Unless, that is, you WERE talking about that version.

Regardless, the music for Phobos Anomaly is really good, melancholic music for maps that are very spooky and wide open.

I'd say my favorite spooky D1 track is probably E2M6 (Halls of The Damned) and my favorite metal one would be E3M3 (Pandemonium).

(Edit: Had the two 'city in hell' names mixed up)

It seems most modern games have gone the route of techno or full orchestral soundtracks, or ditched the idea of music altogether. I miss the days of midis, and I agree, Doom has some of the best music to be found in a game. The only other game that immediately comes to mind for an outstanding soundtrack is Mechwarrior 2.

I'd say my favorite is E2M7 (also great in E3M7). You've got haunting, creepy, and an epic feeling all in one.