Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ritchielee666

Merlin's Castle, New Wad Project

So is http://www.legendsofmusic.nl/Merlin'sCastle.wad GOOD?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. So is http://www.legendsofmusic.nl/Merlin'sCastle.wad GOOD?

• Yes....
    • It\'s OK.....
    • NO!!!! PIECE OF SH*T!!!!

You have made the first 4 rooms of some wad and expect us to take a stand on this?

Get back to us once you have something playable to show.

Ok, sorry you all feel this way, but i'm looking for feedback on the design, whats the design like? the spirit?
Please help me, i've just learned how to build maps!
Thanks,
Ritchie Lee

The design is very simple try not to stick to the grid too much with mapping, try some other shaped rooms than squares implement more height difference have monsters above and below you not just on the same level you are.

No gameplay value that tall lift is annoying don't mix wolf3d textures with doom textures unless you know what you are doing, use traps doors fly open or monsters teleport in when you pick up something important or have traps just release out of the blue.

Adding some outside areas improves your map alot, slime pools rocky areas dark tunnels ceiling lights computer panels pink dildos the possiblities are endless.

Keep trying you will get better eventually you gotta start somewhere.

Also too much tiny rooms/narrow corridors can lead to monotonous gameplay. Try to mix it up with more larger rooms/broader hallways with several monsters at once.

HAI GUISE CHEK OUT MY GRATE NEW TC!
B4 U paste in dat new project thing i DOO have stuff 2 show! it's gonna have 40 weapons and 60 new monsters and 90 maps and it's own custom EXE fiel!!! (PS if u are a spriter mapper or coder PM me to join the porject, i'm not too good at doing fings myself BUT i have got some midis off vgmusic.com so i don't need music makers).

NEWAY here is a shot of my progress so far:

As of now you don't have much to show (the map doesn't have an exit, and only two monsters). Like Dutch Devil suggested, try to make the level a bit less blocky, perhaps add some outside areas, and you might want to lower the torch count a bit. Maybe you should open up other wads, to see how they made their levels interesting, and start practicing yourself.

deathbringer said:

Typical douchebag post.

Maybe you could try giving him some helpful info instead of trying to earn some lulz?

There are some tag errors, i.e. tags missing where they are needed, or else you can change the actions to equivalent ones that don't require a tag (e.g. make them local doors rather than remote doors).

Read this...

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Tags

...and the documentation for the editor which you are using (which is no doubt Doombuilder, given that it allows these errors without much complaint).

Dark and slightly claustrophobic - definitely a castle wad. The darker rooms have too many torches and I noticed a couple of paper-thin walls.
You could have mentioned that it's for zDoom, I wasn't getting anywhere with PrBoom.

Ignore the knockers and keep us informed of your progess. Good luck.

deathbringer said:

HAI GUISE CHEK OUT MY GRATE NEW TC!

So when are we going to have something to playtest? :P

I like the dark torchy hallways and what you did with the chaingunner and jumping over the torches to get the red key was a nice touch. i was a little confused with the cyberdemon at the beginning of the map. and the random exit. There is a bug in that room too. The last room of the map was a bit strange too. Your key/door combinations are rather simplistic.

Hellbent said:

jumping over the torches to get the red key was a nice touch. i was a little confused with the cyberdemon at the beginning of the map. and the random exit. There is a bug in that room too. The last room of the map was a bit strange too.

You managed to jump over the torches? I had no such luck.

It's too easy to reach the teleporter then get trapped - the Red key room would be a better place for it. The pool behind the hidden door is another trap. I suspect the cyber's meant to be waiting in a small room which is unfinished - as is the exit.

I hope your grades aren't slipping while you work on this map. :-)

Golden rule: DON'T make an exit available before the level progression is finished. Nobody wants to stay on your map and explore if the exit is readily available. I just ran past the cybie and exited the level.

Otherwise, it's still a pretty uneventful level. I suggest you play wads and take the inspiration from there.

Another word of advice: import new textures in your wad and play around with them, but don't release them. It's hard to make something inspiring with original doom set, esp. if you're a newbie. OTOH, when you have a lot of nice things to play with, you can make inspiring stuff like lava caves, mine tunnels, areas with lots of pannels, atriums, pavillions, caged monsters, ceiling lights, river meanders, windows to outer courtyards, the decorations such as torches or hanging bodies should come last, that's why they're called decoration. There's lots of possibilities in doom, that's why doom editing is so popular anyway. This way it's wasier to learn to map well, and then you can decide to map for real and release some projects.

Oh yeah, and quit sticking to that grid like it's your religion, grid maps invariably have boring layout.

Artillery said:

Another word of advice: import new textures in your wad and play around with them, but don't release them. It's hard to make something inspiring with original doom set, esp. if you're a newbie. OTOH, when you have a lot of nice things to play with, you can make inspiring stuff like lava caves, mine tunnels, areas with lots of pannels, atriums, pavillions, caged monsters, ceiling lights, river meanders, windows to outer courtyards, the decorations such as torches or hanging bodies should come last, that's why they're called decoration. There's lots of possibilities in doom, that's why doom editing is so popular anyway. This way it's wasier to learn to map well, and then you can decide to map for real and release some projects.

I disagree with this completely. I'd recommend working with the original Doom2.wad textures until you've better got the hang of mapping, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Being able to make something that looks decent using custom textures doesn't mean you've learned to map well, it just means they're good textures. ;)

Forget custom textures and anything else at this point work on your mapping skills what good is custom textures gonna do if the map you stick them in is an completely unplayable mess.

Fine, it has it's logic, if you can do something nice with shit textures, than you can be sure that better texture set will make your wad look nice. (Of course the worst thing to do is to steal others resources to make up for lack of mapping skills, that wasn't what I meant).

Still, play other people's wads (they're a valuable source of inspiration, trust me) experiment, and try to befriend doom builder. But DON'T stick to grid and if you don't know how to do something it's better to ask (assuming you already have the mandatory DB guide) than ignore your good ideas, and go for an easy solution due to lack of knowledge or skills.

Oh please. I've seen plenty of awesome-looking maps that use nothing but doom.wad or doom2.wad textures. I love custom textures, but learning to map without them first is a better idea I think. It's what I did. :P

Hellbent said:

Cyberdemon

Seem like its a must add in a map of a beginner lol