Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterSyphadias

DarkXL - GPU Accelerated DarkForces Extended

Looks all right.
Dark Forces is one of the best first person shooters ever created. It really got the puzzle aspect right. They also creatively utilize the 2.5D engine in a way that it often gives you a better sense and feel of 3D than most modern 3D shooters.

Restrictions force creativity.

FUCKING. AWESOME.

Now if some bright spark could kindly give the original System Shock (and hell, System Shock 2 for that matter) the same treatment...

Shaviro said:

Dark Forces is one of the best first person shooters ever created. It really got the puzzle aspect right. They also creatively utilize the 2.5D engine in a way that it often gives you a better sense and feel of 3D than most modern 3D shooters.

Agreed 100%.

Awesome. I played the hell out of that game on my 486SX. Remember when all LucasArts games were golden? This and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series were some of my favorite games back in the day. Star Wars games without any Force wankery = win.

There was a project to make a Windows version of System Shock, but it's been dead for quite a while (http://tsshp.sourceforge.net/ss-shots.html). I don't think the 64x64 textures would hold up that well in hardware rendering, but even a software port with higher resolutions and maybe some more modern control settings would have been wonderful.

Hehe. My favorite part about that game was the bug where if you ducked and punched a guy upward, he'd go flying 30 feet.

david_a said:

This and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series were some of my favorite games back in the day. Star Wars games without any Force wankery = win.

Absolutely. Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith were great games too, though. The force was fresh and fun in gaming, but it's just too much now. The upcoming "The force unleashed" game looks insanely stupid. I'm getting sick and tired of Jedi madness. What happened to the awesome Star Wars games of the nineties?

Lüt said:

I'm with Burning Gundam.

I thought you meant you had a Burning Gundam :P

Which, regarding how awesome this is, could be my case.

Bucket said:

Hehe. My favorite part about that game was the bug where if you ducked and punched a guy upward, he'd go flying 30 feet.

I don't think that was a bug. Wasn't there some type of berserk pack equivalent that boosted your punch power?

I did like "going fishing" for enemies though... There was some platform on the Jabba level where you could throw thermal detonators down to the Gamorans (is that right? the pig dudes) without seeing them. You'd be greeted by an explosion, a squeal, and a green pig flying up to eye level :)

Captain Red said:

FUCKING. AWESOME.

Now if some bright spark could kindly give the original System Shock (and hell, System Shock 2 for that matter) the same treatment...

Well all I've heard about System shock 2 is a Hi res Graphics replacement.But I don't think theyll be trying to port System shock to run on windows instead of dos.Hell I tried running Marathon 2 through Aleph and it doesnt even work.

What would be a good Idea is to port either Necrodome or Cyclones.those were Great games.

(edit)Nix that System Shock comment

Haloless0320 said:

What would be a good Idea is to port either Necrodome or Cyclones.those were Great games.

Necrodome is a Win32 game, assuming you are just running XP. It also works fine.

Cyclones is for dos and it's horrible :(

leileilol said:

Cyclones is for dos and it's horrible :(

Fucking heretic.

Seriously, though, an SS1 port would be great. I think System Shock 2 is playable in XP...oh wait, no it isn't, but it works fine on my W2k machine ;)

Cyclones would need a shitload of optimisation. See, unfortunately, it has framerate issues on anything faster than a P90 (loved how the barrels on the chaingun rotated faster than the damned thing fired :s)

Personally, I'd like to a W32 port for Daggerfall.

pilottobombadier said:

Seriously, though, an SS1 port would be great. I think System Shock 2 is playable in XP...oh wait, no it isn't, but it works fine on my W2k machine ;)

Does this help?

Shaviro said:

Brilliantly said. This is what's lost in many modern games.

I also hold Dark Forces in high regard as a cornerstone in first person games.

I remember hearing the Lucasarts team admitting they tore apart the Doom engine while making Dark Forces. I wonder how much of that rumor was true, and how similar the two engines are?

I don't understand why System Shock 1 has not been ported to the Nintendo DS yet.

Also if some of you don't mind...

...sign up on those forums and egg the author on. It is sad how many projects get neglected because the author's believe that no one is interested in there work.

MasterSyphadias said:

I don't understand why System Shock 1 has not been ported to the Nintendo DS yet.

I don't understand why <closed source game here> isn't ported to <anything else> yet

Good god the colour scheme on that forum is awful.

Er, no real comment on the game, I never played it.

But eeeew!

Snarboo said:

I remember hearing the Lucasarts team admitting they tore apart the Doom engine while making Dark Forces. I wonder how much of that rumor was true, and how similar the two engines are?

There's a discussion in the thread about that. It seems to be "inspired by" but clearly not based on Doom.

Makes sense. If they did take the Doom engine apart, it would have been dumb to blatantly steal it without rewriting or changing anything.

leileilol said:

I don't understand why <closed source game here> isn't ported to <anything else> yet

It does not have to be open source for a commercial port! ;)

I noticed this thread, linking directly to the DarkXL Announcement thread over at df-21. There is a subforum for DarkXL with other topics here http://www.df-21.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=7.
If you wish to see the early screenshots or movies you can view this very early (in construction) website here: http://www.darkxl.df-21.net. If you have any comments or questions feel free to register over at df-21 and ask in the forums :)

Haloless0320 said:

After seeing the screenies,The force is strong in my pants...

Quote of the day.

I hope the same thing for Blood in the future ! D: