Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NightmareZer0

Chinese tortoise addicted to cigarettes

Yeah, I saw that in the papers when the story was released. I think it's disgusting. Why? Bloody inaccurate journalism. It's not a tortoise dammit! It is semi-aquatic making it a terrapin/turtle. It is a red eared slider (or red eared terrapin) (Trachemys scripta elegans).

Actually, I suspect it is just sloppy journalism, or editing, with a story lifted from an agency where the original writer is from a country where the distinction between turtles, terrapins and tortoises is not made. But the linked article is how the story was described in at least two British papers where the distinction should be made.

That's a hard habit to break. Maybe some well-intentiond celebrity will "rescue" the tortoise terrapin and pay for it's detox in an upmarket Californian clinic.

GreyGhost said:

That's a hard habit to break. Maybe some well-intentiond celebrity will "rescue" the tortoise terrapin and pay for it's detox in an upmarket Californian clinic.

Or rather, why should anyone care? If some random celebs were "saving" drug addicts from the streets too, then sure, save the what-ever-it-is. Otherwise, leave the Chinese and their silly pets alone.

As bad as that is, it's extremely funny. I'm sorry but I had to save that pic it was priceless.