Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kobalt2k7

Original, full quality Doom 1,2 soundtrack

fraggle said:
What I'd really love to see is a collection of "original Soundblaster" versions of the songs - someone would need to get an old PC running with a genuine Soundblaster and record each song being played.

I've been working on something like this using a SoundBlaster Pro. I can't remember if it's the dual OPL2 version or the one with an OPL3 -- either way I couldn't get it to produce stereo music so it's probably pretty similar to what an earlier SoundBlaster would have produced. I've already recorded the Ultimate Doom soundtrack so maybe I'll get it into a releasable form and post a demo...

Here have the music of the deleted Doom 2 maps John Romero just gave me.
As usual, there are some covered songs among them:
Milli Vanilli - Don't forget my number
Beatles - Help
Elvis Presley - Love me tender
Scooter - Hyper Hyper
Deep Purple - March

In full FLAC quality of course: http://thepiratebay.org/romero/0401666

LogicDeLuxe said:

These sound pretty good coming from a MIDI module... are they going to be bonus tracks when you do the rest of the Doom II soundtrack?

I don't know about that Beatles track, though. Are you sure it's not a cover of The Rutles - Ouch?

CODOR said:

These sound pretty good coming from a MIDI module... are they going to be bonus tracks when you do the rest of the Doom II soundtrack?

The regular Doom 2 tracks alone will almost fill a CD-R 80, which means no bonus tracks, sorry. Feel free to burn them as a bonus EP instead, though.

I don't know about that Beatles track, though. Are you sure it's not a cover of The Rutles - Ouch?

Now as you mention that, I think you're right. :)

LogicDeLuxe said:

Here have the music of the deleted Doom 2 maps John Romero just gave me.
As usual, there are some covered songs among them:
Milli Vanilli - Don't forget my number
Beatles - Help
Elvis Presley - Love me tender
Scooter - Hyper Hyper
Deep Purple - March

Excellent quality, as usual! I'll try to seed to at least 500%.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Now, I have to dig up this thread, as I have something for your ears.

I got myself a Roland Sound Canvas SC-155. It is basically a SC-55 in a different housing and more knobs and sliders. Same wavetable, same GS engine. And definitely better noise ratio than a SCC1.
I recorded the MIDI files (that link from this thread) through a M-Audio Delta-44, which has 24 bit ADCs providing a decent quality. They are certainly better than the DACs on those old Roland devices, thus more than adequate.
It is mastered in Adobe Audition for CD quality. Nothing beefed up, of course, as the whole point is giving the pure sound of the original tracks to people who don't own one of those Roland devices.
Have an example in FLAC format (4'20", 27.0 MB): http://www.sendspace.com/file/t2k3sf
Would you host them as FLAC? I also could provide them as Ogg Vorbis or MP3 if you like, which I would encode directly from a 24 bit master then, ie. the encoder sees no shaped noise.

I could host 'em. I have .mac from Apple. Speed and capacity is good, Bandwidth per month is limited, but I doubt that many people want these files. Just email or FTP or something each one to me. We could set it up. PM me or respond to this. Thanks!

Update: I see a torrent is available attempting to download from torrent now... Once I have em I'll redistribute them, exactly as you had them, with .txt indicating their your files. Please notify me about contact info and what to put in the .txt (e.g. Copyrights and such.)

glaber said:

(Refuses to downloat any Torrent client)

Why? Does your tinfoil hat tell you not to?

What the hell? Now I see why everybody hates BitComet.

-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 181K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_0_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 232K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_10_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 29K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_11_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 217K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_12_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 176K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_13_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 84K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_14_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 60K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_15_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 122K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_16_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 75K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_17_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 72K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_18_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 144K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_19_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 128K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_1_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 80K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_20_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 253K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_21_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 253K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_22_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 253K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_23_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 256K 2008-04-02 21:44 _____padding_file_24_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 172K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_2_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 123K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_3_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 130K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_4_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 59K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_5_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 52K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_6_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 144K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_7_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 173K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_8_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 19K 2008-04-02 21:40 _____padding_file_9_if you see this file, please update to BitComet 0.85 or above____

Do you really need all these useless files to make the torrent larger than needed? ~_~

exp(x) said:

Why? Does your tinfoil hat tell you not to?

No, It's just the way I am.

I've already did a wad for DOOM of OGG'd (high quality) recordings of SBAWE64 OPL3 FM music since i'm sick of how crap fm emulation is

unfortunately I have yet to sort it all out to their proper lump names.

also since it's a real card, the polyphony breaks in some songs like E2M2. This also happens on Sound Blaster 16s and SB clones. There's also some 'skipping' due to hard drive caching during recording so i'd have to rerecord two songs (it's a pain on slow 10mbit base T)

glaber said:

Can we get a Torent free link?

I think, ryaxnb just said so.

ryaxnb said:

Please notify me about contact info and what to put in the .txt (e.g. Copyrights and such.)

The copyrights to the composition remain as they are, of course (which might be tricky to decide anyway, regarding the obvious and not so obvious cover songs). If you want to do anything other than distributing them for free, ask id software or someone who worked on the game back then.
Converting to other formats like Ogg Vorbis, MP3 etc., using them in the game, making remixes or megamixes of them is fine with me. It would be nice if you mention my name as a recorder, but this is not a requirement.

MikeRS said:

What the hell? Now I see why everybody hates BitComet.
Do you really need all these useless files to make the torrent larger than needed? ~_~

That I wondered myself. I think, I will not use this feature when I make a torrent next time.

ryaxnb said:

Update: I see a torrent is available attempting to download from torrent now... Once I have em I'll redistribute them, exactly as you had them, with .txt indicating their your files. Please notify me about contact info and what to put in the .txt (e.g. Copyrights and such.)

A temporary delay... my computer crashed and I went to my relatives house... I'll download them on my alternate computer. I'll be back!

So I finally finished downloading all the Doom soundtrack and have soundtracks Pt 1-3 (out of 5) up. This is the Doom 1 soundtrack in its entirety, separated into 3 parts. Parts 4-5 will be labeled doom2soundpt1.tar and doom2soundpt2.tar .
Here is the links
http://homepage.mac.com/ryaxnb2/doomsound/doomsoundpt1.tar
http://homepage.mac.com/ryaxnb2/doomsound/doomsoundpt2.tar
http://homepage.mac.com/ryaxnb2/doomsound/doomsoundpt3.tar

Files are in flac format, with TAR archiving (use WinZip). If you have experience with command-line and don't want to pay for WinZip/use trial, Gnu Tar for Windows is available here: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gtar.htm

Here is the link structure for the curious:
http://
standard link http

homepage.mac.com/
my host

ryaxnb2/
My pages

doomsound/
the "doomsound" directory on my website, containing doom soundtracks

doom?soundpt?.tar
the file name, first ? is possible 2 (e.g doom2soundpt1.tar), second question mark is part number.

I have Probably 25-40GB per month download and files are 1GB so use torrents if they work well for you. These are the backups!

Big thanks to LogicDeLuxe for sharing the SoundCanvas recording! I grabbed the torrent the second day it was up and had no trouble leeching despite being in the US. Served at least 4GB of it since.

Thanks to you, LDL, we have now the definitive edition of the DOOM soundtrack - and it's lossless to boot! Well done!

My only - and it's minor details, I might add - gripes are that the tracks won't loop properly because of the added silence tacked on at the end. Is that what you referred to as mastering in the TXT? ;) Speaking of mastering, the intro (track 01) clips quite noticeably. Unlike the added silence, it cannot be fixed on the downloader's end. I also wonder if you used peak compression. What exactly the mastering part involved, anyway?

For my part, I recorded the entire DOOM soundtrack as heard on a Yamaha OPL3-SAx (a 1997 ISA card) with the S-XG50 driver. The recording was done on an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 @44.1/24. You can listen to a high bitrate MP3 sample of it (E1M1-M4) here.
Overall, the sound is similar to the SC, but there are significant differences. Compare, for example, the bass synth on E1M3.

If there is interest in this version, I can put up a FLAC torrent of it. Technical details:
- All tracks recorded in one go, to preserve volume differences between them
- Recording level chosen carefully to avoid clipping on the loudest parts
- Individual tracks split off from the main WAV with special attention to track boundaries with regard to loopability. Tested in foobar2000 and WinAmp to loop perfectly at default output settings; in Windoze Media Player there is a slight silence, however. Perhaps I should post one complete track and gather feedback on loopability first?
- No audio processing (i.e. normalization, compression, equalization etc.) whatsoever
- Encoded with the latest FLAC release (v1.2.1)
- As a little bonus for those with advanced players (e.g. fb2k, Rockbox) ReplayGain (Album Gain) applied to the collection as a whole

LogicDeLuxe said:

This is what it sounds like on an OPL3 chip in stereo: http://www.sendspace.com/file/her9xu
Recorded from a Terratec Maestro 32 first revision.

Sounds very similar (if not the same as) to what my SBLive! and Yamaha OPL3-SAx produce. The only card whose FM synth I was ever impressed with was an SBAWE64. Delicate, detailed sound with impressive polyphony and lots of useful optionals like adjustable reverb, chorus and I don't remember what else. I remember wanting to keep it for the FM part alone, but it consistently had my box locking up no matter the slot, BIOS or Windoze settings, so I had to return it.

Perhaps I should track down one on e-Bay and give it another try? If there ought to be an FM version of the DOOM soundtrack, this is the card.

BTW, I noticed something odd: in both of our samples above the right and the left channels are reversed.

Never_Again said:

My only - and it's minor details, I might add - gripes are that the tracks won't loop properly because of the added silence tacked on at the end. Is that what you referred to as mastering in the TXT? ;)

I played the MIDI's provided in this thread earlier to the end, until the last note and reverb is over.

Speaking of mastering, the intro (track 01) clips quite noticeably. Unlike the added silence, it cannot be fixed on the downloader's end. I also wonder if you used peak compression. What exactly the mastering part involved, anyway?

Unlike the MP2 tracks, this don't clip, really. I mastered them a few dB quiter than those MP2. There are some multiband peak compression involved on very few occasion. And the peak limiter softens some peaks slightly. I sure compared every mastered track carefully to the original recording at the same RMS loudness to be sure that there is no significant difference. I am the last who would overcompress or clip a recording just to make it excessive hot. The RMS matches those of the late 80's and early 90's which used to be a good compromise between loudness and resolution usage. I usually master at -14 dBFS RMS sine, and this one is even slightly softer. In my experience, there are only few cases where even more dynamic is important, which are mainly classic, some jazz styles and audio dramas. Most mastering guys probably would have edited this much more aggressively, I guess. Compare this sound to those mainstream CD's released over the past few years, for instance. Btw. I am a TurnMeUp supporter.
Other than this, I cut off the mirror frequencies above 16kHz with a FFT filter and did a phase true subsonic filter below 30 Hz to save some power. (Lowest note in those tunes has a base frequency at about 45 Hz.)
No noise reduction involved, since the SC-155 has already a pretty good noise ratio. Thus no need to mess with it.

Looping is one not so trivial think to do. The problem is, that I would chop of the reverb if I'd just cut the end. You could insert it to the beginning in order to prevent this, but then, it won't sound like a real beginning anymore. Thus, the best think to handle this issue would be an engine handling this, ie. restart the track from the beginning while still playing the reverb of the last note.

Never_Again said:

BTW, I noticed something odd: in both of our samples above the right and the left channels are reversed.

Do you mean the OPL3 and the MU5 example? If yes, it well could be the case. Some of my cables have its colors wrong on the RCA jacks for some reason, and I just quickly made those examples without checking the channels.
I did for the Sound Canvas recordings, though, I think.

Never_Again said:

For my part, I recorded the entire DOOM soundtrack as heard on a Yamaha OPL3-SAx (a 1997 ISA card) with the S-XG50 driver. The recording was done on an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 @44.1/24. You can listen to a high bitrate MP3 sample of it (E1M1-M4) here.
Overall, the sound is similar to the SC, but there are significant differences. Compare, for example, the bass synth on E1M3.

To me, it sound much more similar to my MU5 with reverb added (as XG synthesizers support it) than a Sound Canvas. It's a Yamaha after all. Sound Canvas have completely different samples. It sure sounds good, as Yamahas usually do, but this was not the intention of this thread.
Though, as people apparently appreciate it, I won't stop you from recording it this way and spreading it, of course.

Never_Again said:

My M-Audio Revolution 5.1 has a hardware bug where the left and right channels are reversed. I wonder if the 2496 has the same problem...

I have an M-Audio Delta 44, and it's fine throughout.

I'm surprised that so many here are using M-Audio cards which weren't developed for gaming PC's. Their strange is in high quality multi-track recording, which really is no advantage in games.

Thanks a ton for uploading these to a place where most of us can get these, ryaxnb. Really appreciate it.

I'll probably convert these to ogg and upload them to some filesharing sites for others who can't/don't use torrent sites, so ryaxnb's bandwidth doesn't get raped.

Nuxius said:

Thanks a ton for uploading these to a place where most of us can get these, ryaxnb. Really appreciate it.

Couldn't agree more.