Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dco16

NMD: Needs More Detail - RELEASED

Needs More Detail™ is an e1-styled episode that is deliberately underdetailed. It has no 1-pixel high-and-wide staircases that attempt to resemble slopes (I'm looking at you Doom 2.5). No ten sector gradient lights every six feet. In fact, there are under 200 sectors in each level. Here be screenshots:

e1m1

e1m9

e1m2

Here be download:

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/newstuff/nmd.zip

This might work with doom.exe but I don't know. I have windows Vista, which only runs ZDoom and access allowance messages.

Artillery said:

Interesting concept. It looks like fava beans, hehe. How long did it take to make it?

About three months.

Hi, everybody. Been registered a while, but this is my first post... been lurking even longer than that.

This is awesome, Fiend. Easily the best, funnest (is that a word?) E1 replacement I've ever played. Aesthetically it looks great, without going overboard -- the levels don't get in the way of themselves, if that makes any sense. Level progression made sense and was easy to follow, but had plenty of secrets and other areas to explore, and the monster balance was great. A touch on the easy side, but so was the original E1. :-D Kudos -- you've done a hell of a job!

Any chance of E2 and E3 NMD? ;)

-Tofu

BTW, I thought replacing the UAC emblems with "NMD" was pure genius.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I just finished playing through this wad and I had fun with it. The enemy placement was pretty good, although I thought there wasn't enough health in some of the levels (maybe a couple more stimpacks and a few more medikits should have been added), but maybe that's just me.

The level of detail was just right for me. Not too much details to strain the eyes and just enough to keep the level looking interesting. :)

I think m2 has one secret sector too many. The shotgun secret is hard to trigger.

M3 has a HOM at the regular exit door.

In m7 the imps in the corner cages are stuck and the walkway to the YK doesn't change the flat after it rises.

It's great for NM, on UV it's just way too easy.

This is pretty good from what I've played so far, though I'll never understand why people use crates, metal, support3, and gothic gratings in e1-themed maps...

Tofu said:

Any chance of E2 and E3 NMD? ;)

Yes.

Belial said:

I think m2 has one secret sector too many. The shotgun secret is hard to trigger.

M3 has a HOM at the regular exit door.

In m7 the imps in the corner cages are stuck and the walkway to the YK doesn't change the flat after it rises.

It's great for NM, on UV it's just way too easy.

I realized from the beginning that doing a strictly e1-style episode would require a complete lack of access to the chaingun to make it difficult. E1 isn't really a challenge anymore on UV.

esselfortium said:

This is pretty good from what I've played so far, though I'll never understand why people use crates, metal, support3, and gothic gratings in e1-themed maps...

Got bored with support2 after a while.

Fixing posted bugs right now. Thanks, guys.

Although I usualy don't support the whole "back to classics" ideology, I played through this whole thing in one sitting and it was pretty cool few hours of fun. The inclusion of extra textures was a very cool move, and I'd too like to see ep2 and ep3 of same style. Keep 'em coming.

Fiend said:
This might work with doom.exe but I don't know. I have windows Vista, which only runs ZDoom and access allowance messages.

DOSBox (they even have a box linking to Vista tips on the right of the page) and probably Chocolate Doom should allow you to test it. I'll be checking it using Doom soon, though, if I have time enough.

myk said:

DOSBox (they even have a box linking to Vista tips on the right of the page) and probably Chocolate Doom should allow you to test it. I'll be checking it using Doom soon, though, if I have time enough.

DosBox just isn't working for me under Vista for some reason, even after working through the tips page. I'll try choc doom.

Edit: ran through in chocolate doom, seemed fine. Imps in m7 weren't stuck in Zdoom, but were in CD.

I played a bit of this earlier today, got up to the secret map. Enjoying myself so far; nice work, Fiend! Belial was right on that shotgun secret in E1M2 being hard to trigger though.

Very enjoyable classic map, it really take me back to the old school DOOM feel. Keep up the good work and release the second and third episode!

I've just played the whole wad, cool stuff here, gameplay was funny (with some weak moments but nothing serious). My only complaint is that's less difficult than Knee Deep in the Dead...
I look forward for the sequals.

NMD should stand for Need more Difficulty...as K!r4 said if its easier than Knee-deep in the dead...ill have an easy time when playing it =/

But still it sounds neat.

K!r4 said:

My only complaint is that's less difficult than Knee Deep in the Dead...

How good then that ZDoom allows to make custom skill levels! :D

Well i just finished the whole wad and i must say its pretty well done i just had a bit of a hard time in E1M8 because i saved my game and i had 2% of health =/ glad to have finded the soulsphere :D

I expect ep2 and 3 :D

I don't think a deliberate lack of detail is an excuse for sloppiness. Even if you don't bother with sidedef offsets, you can at least set the unpegging flags on a window linedef (e.g. linedef 488 in E1M4, as seen from the exit) Setting flags is no effort at all, surely?

Also I think you could have done with a larger variety of textures. BROWN1 everywhere became a little repetitive after a while.

That all may sound overly harsh, but I took the wad's title to be an attempt to avert criticism and as such found it distasteful.

The rest was fine, though. The only other thing I remember noticing that hasn't been mentioned before were the imps at the start of E1M7 which were stuck in the walls of their cages and couldn't move or fire.

I hope I haven't discouraged you too much and I look forward to E2 and E3.

RjY said:

That all may sound overly harsh, but I took the wad's title to be an attempt to avert criticism and as such found it distasteful.

Distasteful? It's a doom wad, not a painting. Really, who gives a fuck?

I played all except E1M1 and E1M2 in Doom.exe (yeah, I played it backwards for whatever reason). The main thing I noticed glitch-wise was tutti-frutti in quite a lot of places. But nothing show-stopping (which is unusual for an "intended for vanilla but only tested in Zdoom" project).

Definitely my kind of WAD. I thought it was fantastic, though at some points the "underdetailed" ideal seemed a little forced, almost like you had gone back and removed bits or unaligned textures just to make the presentation a little less refined looking.

Still, great work.

Nice wad. Really. I played through it, it's really close to doom's first episode (which is my favorite). In my opinion, there is enough details.

Still, some HOM are to fix... And the wad is too, too, too easy... In UV, my health never went under 60%...

But good work, keep going ;)

Nice wad - I look forward to seeing at least two sequels. :-)

A couple more issues. E1M6 appears to be missing a secret. In E1M7 - the monsters used in the Blue key teleport trap can see outside and will practically wipe themselves out by infighting if you're prepared to stand around and wait.