Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mopbrothers

HELP! Playing Custom DOOM II map

I'm a new guy on here who loves DOOM. I have Windows XP and DOOM II 95 installed with DOOMBUILDER, but I can't figure out how to load the custom maps I make. I try loading them, but I always get the Entryway level instead of my map. Can someone please help me!?

Put your map in the same folder as doom95, run it and choose your wad from under "custom wad". If i remember rightly, havent used Doom 95 for ages. Also...

IN B4 SOURCE PORT

...alternatively, you could use a source port such as Zdoom or Legacy or Eternity or EDGE etc. Most of those support dragging the wad over the .exe and it runs. They also have improved functionality under newer Windows versions, and allow for higher resolutions. Also if you want to use wads with replaced sprites, flats (floors) and things source ports "just work" wheras Doom 95 requires editing of the iwad which isn't recommended territory for people who arent sure what they're doing.

I tried putting the file in the DOOM 95 folder but it doesn't work. I even put the file over the icon and I can't run it. Thanks for your help. If anyone has windows 95 version please help me.

Thanks

Map slot? My window reads this:

-------------------- Custom WAD File
---------------------- My custom map

Skill level
Ultra Violence

Episode/Level
Level:1 Entryway

NEW GAME CANCEL

I keep always select my custom wad, but the damn Entryway level gets loaded instead. I don't understand why I can't play my custom made map. I have a player 1 start and all the maps look fine.

Try a different source port. If you want to keep with the original doom's gameplay with the smallest amount of changes possible, try chocolate doom. Doom 95 is known for horrible incompatibility with newer machines.

Eternity would also be a good choice, as it retains compatibility while supporting higher resolutions and has a lot of (completely optional) advanced features.

You should be able to just drop 'n drop the wad file over the port's executable (that works with most ports anyways). If you replaced a map other than Map01, you'll have to warp to it. You can also do this by using the command line...which I rarely use, so I can't really say much about it (though you can warp to certain maps a lot quicker by using the command line).

If you wanna test your map while your still working on it in Doombuilder, go under the tools menu and click on configuration. Then under the testing tab just browse for the port you wanna test it with (make sure that the port can run said map) and then after you hit ok to exit the menu, you should be able to play the map by hitting the little green arrow button at the top.

If you need to load up more than one file, than use the command line:
"sourceport -file xxxx.wad", for example "gzdoom -file mylevel.wad mylevel2.wad gothictx.wad"

Going back to Dutch Devil's question - before saving your custom maps in DoomBuilder, did you check the Map Options - the Level name in particular.

I don't think doom95 works well with doombuilder, you could always close doombuilder and open up the doom95 launcher and select your map from there don't forget to remove the 3d things from your map doom95 doesn't like those.

But using an sourceport would be better almost everybody uses those these days, here is my list of ports I have.

(G)Zdoom(GL)
Risen3D
Legacy
Skulltag
Prboom+
Eternity

dutch devil said:

I don't think doom95 works well with doombuilder, you could always close doombuilder and open up the doom95 launcher ...

To stop Doom95's launcher popping up, you can put "-nodm" in the command-line, and use other options as normal together with that.

How do you use Legacy to run maps with? And where is the command line located? I still cannot play any custom DOOM maps, even from the testing mode. Is Doombuilder a bad program or something?

Do you know how to make batch files ? It can make your life easier with pwads.
I recommend you Prboom+ btw if you want to stay in old school standards but with more comfortable use.

Finally I was able to test play one of my custom levels via Legacy. However there are a couple of problems. First the game play is far too slow. Second I can't play the level regularly (without test mode). Does anyone know how to fix these problems?

Thanks

on doom builder: edit/map options and on map name put there for examble e1m1 or map01. and then use same starting map on doom 95 and same wad (doom, doom2). it should work