Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

Save East Winch!

A corporation called WBB Minerals is seeking planning permission to build an immense quarry directly next to my village. The residents are outraged as not only is this going to leave a gigantic blemish in the otherwise peaceful-looking countryside around us, but also poses a serious threat to the villagers' health.

The mineral corporation plan to mine out quartz, or "respirable crystalline silica" from the ground. The mining process for this generates thin dust - that if inhaled can lead to developing cancer. The field immediately to the west of East Winch, designated "MIN 40" is almost twice the size of the village's covered ground itself. WBB Minerals is also planning to build even more quarries in what looks like a huge line down Norfolk and other neighbouring counties. A quarry that villagers were not even alerted about has already begun extraction of what we assume is RCS 400 metres to the north of East Winch, which means villagers could also be exposed to the dust from this quarry as well.

Our research has told us that this dust caused by the extraction process of silica sand is carcinogenic. The corporation plans to send down workers to extract this sand (wearing protective clothing, of course) but doesn't seem to care the village RIGHT NEXT TO THE SITE is completely exposed to the dust - which will blow directly into them. Silicosis has been known to develop in mining workers even if they do wear protective clothing, so it's entirely possible that it could spread to the villagers: who might have to resort to wearing gas masks whenever they expose themselves to the dust.

A spokesman for WBB Minerals has responded by saying there is no risk to residents from inhaling the carcinogenic dust created by the extraction process, and that silica sand is completely harmless when it's under the ground. So why not leave it WHERE IT IS? What's interesting about this claim is that only two surveys investigating it have been taken out - and the first one didn't take any actual exposure (to residents) data into account... and the second one was never published. Hmm.

Furthermore, and even more bizarre, is that WBB have described silica sand as a "mineral of national importance". What, more important than people and their health? Wow. :eek:

My dad, chairman of the East Winch Action Group (or EWAG) has set up a blog where you can receive daily updates as to what's happening. UK residents can sign their name on the online petition as well.

He also been on BBC Radio Norfolk and has appeared in the local Lynn News artices relating to the quarry.

"Save East Winch" Blog: http://www.saveeastwinch.blogspot.com/
10 Downing Street petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/East-Winch/

The full facts are available on my dad's blog. They, and the images, are somewhat disturbing, but downright outrageous.

Please, save East Winch! :(

I'm sorry to say that, in my experience, if a local authority has decided to do something like this, hundreds, if not thousands, of people with legitimate concerns cannot shift them. Their voices simply aren't loud enough to drown out the sound of pound notes rustling.

Good luck with it.

Enjay said:

I'm sorry to say that, in my experience, if a local authority has decided to do something like this, hundreds, if not thousands, of people with legitimate concerns cannot shift them. Their voices simply aren't loud enough to drown out the sound of pound notes rustling.

Good luck with it.

They're still waiting to obtain permission to build the quarry on this land, so as long as they can't get it, we're in the clear.

- The land they plan to build on houses the only wildlife pond in the village.
- The land is home to shrews that could already be on the endangered species list for this area.
- It's right next to a village, which is outrageous in its own right - objections from the villagers are expected, but when actual threats of cancer are presented, the situation grows to something a lot more than an annoyance.
- There are many other places (unfortunately in Norfolk) which are eligible for quarrying - so why do they need to have one immediately next door to a populated village?
- Stephen Fry has also raised awareness that similar quarries are to be built near his home in Pentney, as part of the "chain" of quarries that are proposed for mineral extraction.

I really don't want to put a damper on this, and I really hope you do get a result. However, in 2 recent cases that I have been involved in, the developers and council got their way despite massive numbers of objections backed up by ecological arguments and so on - very similar to the ones you have mentioned.

You could try the 3rd world way: block highways or take over premises or areas.

Jimmy91 said:

- Stephen Fry has also raised awareness that similar quarries are to be built near his home in Pentney, as part of the "chain" of quarries that are proposed for mineral extraction.

Sweet, that guy is pretty much one of my heroes.

myk said:

You could try the 3rd world way: block highways or take over premises or areas.

3rd World? That happens in America all the time. Of course, the riot police usually get sent in and all kinds of violence ensues, but yeah.

Grow some balls and brew up some home-made explosives in your basement and start some good old-fashioned mayhem.

Well, if Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is any indication, the entire planet will be demolished approximately 12 minutes after construction begins, so I dare say you don't have too terribly much to worry about - other than the end of the world and all that, of course.

Naked Snake said:

Grow some balls and brew up some home-made explosives in your basement and start some good old-fashioned mayhem.

I'd almost be tempted to recommend this. It's nigh impossible to get your voice heard and the numbers behind it just don't mean as much as they should.

Now, if they leave their equipment on site, who's to say it wouldn't magically catch fire in the middle of the night? ;)

They where gonna cram in some houses in a tiny farmyard behind my house once, as they're stuffing Cambridgeshire to the gills with scummy scratter estates on every available bit of land. Everybody within sight of the proposed site objected but they ploughed ahead anyway, approved the construction plans then... nothing. The place has just been left empty. Some builders did show up and kind of milled around once, and a digger appeared then was taken away again. And a big palette of bricks has been dumped on a nearby pub car park (which must please the owners no end), but it's been about 2 years with no action so far... strange.

Danarchy said:
3rd World? That happens in America all the time. Of course, the riot police usually get sent in and all kinds of violence ensues, but yeah.

The US does have various 3rd world characteristics (at least compared to some smaller European nations).