Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Worst Boss Battle (ever?)

Possibly the Spider MM in E3, unless you're playing from scratch.

That guy in Duke 3D episode 2, because if you have the devastator, you can wipe him out before he gets out of the door.

The final boss from Unreal. I really liked this game, the environments were original and I still haven't seen anything that can quite compare. Stupidly I started on the second hardest difficulty... the game was quite the nightmare until I got to the final boss. I put an amplifier on the base weapon I started with and toasted him in three shots. What kind of twisted joke was that?

Nihilanth in HL.
Extremely boring - you shoot the crystals and afterwards you just wait for him to burn out his powers, while you occasionally take a potshot at his head until he dies, bah!

Shub-Nigurath (sp?) from Quake 1. It wasn't a "battle" so much as it was "fighting enemies and jumping into a teleportal."

Shub-Nigurath (sp?) from Quake 1. It wasn't a "battle" so much as it was "fighting enemies and jumping into a teleportal."

Heh, I didn't mention that for the simple reason that I don't regard it as a 'battle', merely as a tricky (tricky until you find out what to do) puzzle.

Shub-Nigurath (sp?) from Quake 1.

i too, was disapppointed with shub. quake 2 boss wasn't that great either. come to think of it, niether was xaero in Q3. good games, wimpy bosses.

Definately Shub-Niggurath. She was just a useless pile of goo. Once you kill the few baddies there and figure out where all the traps are, its a cake walk. BTW, am I the only one who thinks she looks like some godess of aboleths?

Nihilanth sucked too...the only hard part was the teleporter balls...those were frikkin annoying.

I won't answer this, cause I have a tendency of making final bosses get stuck. I can't really tell ^_^

I won't answer this, cause I have a tendency of making final bosses get stuck. I can't really tell ^_^

Zaldron, THE GREAT DESTROYER OF BOSS SCRIPTS. :P

I guess I'll put in my two cents now.

Diablo. From the first game. I never bothered to get to him in Diablo 2 (Which was fun for about a week before it became dull, inane, and boring beyond recognition).

I guess I'll put in my two cents now.

Diablo. From the first game. I never bothered to get to him in Diablo 2 (Which was fun for about a week before it became dull, inane, and boring beyond recognition).

I managed to beat Diablo 2 just last night. Two hours and a hundred thousand gold down the crapper, just to kill the twit. And the sad thing, my hired NPC and my armor's self-defense powers each did more damage than all of my Assasin's attacks did.

The Diablo games have some cool ass bosses, but they either turn out to be too easy or to hard, depending on your class.

Icon of sin.

That's almost blasphemy. IMO The ORIGINAL Icon Of Sin is one of the best boss battles. It has all the elements of a good boss battle.

1. It involves a trick which isn't easy to find (you should know how many lamers still believe that level cannot be beaten without IDCLIP.)

2. It's original and at first is overwhelming with its seeming impossibility (until you discover what to do.)

3. It still requires some technique and accuracy once you discover the trick.

4. The difficulty of the boss is properly adjusted to each of the skill settings. With 4 invulnerabilities on skill 1 it's almost impossible not to beat it, but on UV it isn't easy to hit the brain with revenants trying to knock you off the elevator, and PEs floating around.

I just don't like it because it's not even a monster, it's a fucking wall! Oh, and the level itself is probably the ugliest in the whole Doom2 - a gigantic slime room with absolutely no detail.

I just don't like it because it's not even a monster, it's a fucking wall!

Yes, that's a good point.

Oh, and the level itself is probably the ugliest in the whole Doom2 - a gigantic slime room with absolutely no detail.

True, but don't some of us prefer boss levels to be as simple as possible? And it does create the atmosphere.

In conclusion, we may say that in the analysis of that level I looked more into gameplay and you paid more attention to the design.

I dislike the Icon of Sin as a boss, because I prefer to fight the bosses. I hate figuring out what the 'trick' about the boss is. I'd rather have a boss, which is difficult to fight, but just requires you to send enough destruction in its direction to take it down.

So far, only the Cyberdemon has proven to be a satisfying boss.

You've missed the point of Diablo games. It's not the run click click click repeat, but that the character can never be perfect, there's always better stuff to find.

the monsters and quests are just the annoying part of getting the good stuff.

I hate bosses. The whole concept is ridiculous in newer games. Sure it's always nice to blast away some gigantic creature on older games, and that's pretty much what I've been recently working on for Millennium, but they seem to be totally out of place in today's "complex and involving" plots (note the quotes).

Some games do it right, like Deus Ex did, and some do it deeply wrong, like SoF.

the pieces of shit in Duke Nukem. They were divorced from the other characters in terms of difficulty. Theyw ere damned impossible to beat, the kick the head through teh goalposts thing at the end was kinda funny though. But I hated it, no BFG to help you out.

I dislike the Icon of Sin as a boss, because I prefer to fight the bosses. I hate figuring out what the 'trick' about the boss is. I'd rather have a boss, which is difficult to fight, but just requires you to send enough destruction in its direction to take it down.

So far, only the Cyberdemon has proven to be a satisfying boss.

Then maybe you like the bosses in the fighting games, like MK? They are basically tough characters to fight.

And you're right about the cybie. Come to think about, he's the only one that can provide somewhat a challenge, even if you have the BFG. Any other character, you just get close, get one good shot (or two, in the case of Spidey), and that's it. With the cybie, if you come close without the invulnerability, his rockets will kill you before the BFG kills him.

mmm, indeed, and even if you have invulnerability it can be a squeeze as his rockets blast you so far back each time that your BFG shot is less effective as a result.