Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomGater

Merged Masterlevels Mod

I am preparing a Mod for the DOOM2 Masterlevels, which should make it possible to play them 'in one go'. So I already merged the single Masterlevels-PWADs into one big one (YES, I changed the Map-Numbers :-)) . Because it is not possible to distribute this masterlevels-megawad I need a way to automate this changes. I am thinking of an MD5 Check of the 20 PWADs and an appropriate binary patcher. Does anybody have a better idea?

I also prepared a WAD that contains new graphics with levelnames (CWILV00-20) for the masterlevels, together with modified INTERPIC & TITLEPIC and a DEH patch that changes Mapnames & intermission texts.
I used the text from PSX Masterlevels and removed the Doom2-texts.

The original masterlevels are designed to be played seperately.
Does anybody have an Idea how weapons, ammo & health can be
automatically reset to default values (100% health,
pistol only..) after progressing to the next level?

The work in progress (Without the masterlevels, of course) can be downloaded here: MergedMasterlevelsMod

Thanks for your cooperation and ideas!!

There isn't an official sequence for the order the levels must be played on. Any order (including the PSX port of this mod) will look out of place for many players, as each player find his own sequence. Some maps have a mini plot (which would be most likely ruined in a way or other by a compilation), but interpretations of the order the maps have to be played isn't clearly specified on the txt files.
Also the maps play better by pistol start, and taking each map as a separate piece (yet with some plot relations to other maps in the pack).

You should see the order of the maps in the psx version but few problems : some master levels aren't in the PSX version.
Some are in slot 07 and this one have his own system of tags (not sure if the maps concerned use all this).
The map in slot 31 should be in 15.

I already found a usable map order:

map / level structure:

01 Attack
02 Virgil's Lead
03 Bloodsea Keep
04 Canyon
05 Minos' Judgement
06 The Catwalk
07 Mephisto's Maosoleum
08 Geryon
09 The Combine
10 The Fistula
11 The Garrison
12 Titan Manor
13 Nessus
14 Paradox
15 Subspace
16 Subterra
17 Trapped On Titan
18 Black Tower
19 Vesperas
20 The Express Elevator To Hell
21 Bad Dream (T.E.E.T.H. Part2)

Of course, there are other possible orders, but this one is working fine for me. But anyway, the other questions remain to be answered:

-is an MD5-Check with binary Patcher the best solution to deploy the merged Masterlevels Wad to authorized userd ?

-Does anybody have an Idea how weapons, ammo & health can be
I guess this can't be done in vanilla doom, so how about ZDOOM?

DoomGater said:
-Does anybody have an Idea how weapons, ammo & health can be
I guess this can't be done in vanilla doom, so how about ZDOOM?

Wait, you want to compile them into a set, yet want them to behave as if they were separate levels? What's the point?

This feature is useless : we can still play in pistol start with idclev.
Hmmm Teeth as map20, it haven't a secret exit ? It should be as map15 imo.

Bloodsea, as Mephisto use tag 666 of map07. Also some maps use a custom starry sky that'd look out of place in others, or these would look odd without it.
Some maps follow a "plot" (read Sverre, Flynn, and Anderson's txt files) and theme, mixing maps from different authors would rape them.

You can also use Doom-it with Zdoom (or other port) if you fool the program.

myk said:

Wait, you want to compile them into a set, yet want them to behave as if they were separate levels? What's the point?

The point is to create a megawad/mod that can be played contiuously thru all Masterlevels. (Another point is simply trying if it is possible :-).
I did already merge them together, that is not the difficult part...

K!r4 said
we can still play in pistol start with idclev.

We also can -file xyz everything, but I want a very comfy solution.

What about ACS? Ist it possible to write a script that resets weapons/ammo/armor and health at level start?

Hmmm Teeth as map20, it haven't a secret exit ? It should be as map15 imo.

In my version it leads to MAP21/BAD Dream.

Vegeta
Bloodsea, as Mephisto use tag 666 of map07. Also some maps use a custom starry sky that'd look out of place in others, or these would look odd without it

Yes, you are right. I did not take care of that. But during playtesting, there were no probs. Maybe I'll have a closer look.

One reason I rarely play the master levels is because many don't start on level 1, so you have to look at the text file or idclev until you find it. So a compilation would remove that annoyance.

DoomGater said:
What about ACS? Ist it possible to write a script that resets weapons/ammo/armor and health at level start?

ACS, bleh... DOOM has had this cool ass console scripting language called "batch" or something since like v0.1!

myk said:

ACS, bleh... DOOM has had this cool ass console scripting language called "batch" or something since like v0.1!

The way I play Doom even with ZDoom heh =]

OK everybody, thanks for all the helpful and not-so-helpful posts. I decided to abandon the Merged Masterlevel Mod. The main reason is that I think it is not a good idea to touch these classic files and modify them , so that they work together as one megawad. For many reasons (Skies, Tag 666/667, Exits etc..) it is not done as easyly as I thought. It is quite easy to merge them together in one megawad, but this is _not_ the original experience.

So I decided to make a tiny frontend, which makes it easy to play them with correct level names (in automap and statscreen) and without fiddling around with the command line. So please let me introduce:

MALESE - The Master Level Selector. Can be found here on my site.

Enjoy!

This selector was the best solution imo hehe, nice work I'll test it soon :)
(even if I'm not a fan of the master levels...)

This is really neat :-)

It would have been better if you didn't have to put all the wads in that directory, but could simple tell the program where to find them (also for the doom2.wad and *.exe.

Furthermore I wonder if it is legal to distribute the Doom2 title picture in your menu...

But it is still a NEAT program :-)