Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Creaphis

Rendered linedef counter

I'm just putting this here as an idea that maybe some port maintainer could implement. I imagine this wouldn't be difficult or time-consuming to code, though maybe others will disagree with me on the usefulness of it.

How about: A counter that shows the number of currently-rendered linedefs on screen, so that mappers can know how much leeway they have before hitting vanilla rendering limits from various vantage points?

Relax Essel, I didn't charge much money when I distributed alpha copies of Kdikdizd to everybody I know and their mothers. I'm not unethical.

Fraggle! While you're still around...
1. This utility works great, but the status bar and all screenwipes are pink when I run it, and I don't know why
2. Should I apply the patch in the directory to the exe? If so, I don't know how to do so.
3. What does the "OPN" limit refer to?
4. Change of subject: Is there any way that I can get ZDoom-style mouse turning in Chocolate Doom? I don't want any acceleration, I don't want any hard set limits on turning speed, I want in-game turning to be perfectly proportional to the horizontal movement of my mouse. Is this possible in Chocolate? If this isn't possible in Vanilla, I'll forgive you for not implementing it.

Creaphis said:

Relax Essel, I didn't charge much money when I distributed alpha copies of Kdikdizd to everybody I know and their mothers. I'm not unethical.

Fraggle! While you're still around...
1. This utility works great, but the status bar and all screenwipes are pink when I run it, and I don't know why
2. Should I apply the patch in the directory to the exe? If so, I don't know how to do so.
3. What does the "OPN" limit refer to?
4. Change of subject: Is there any way that I can get ZDoom-style mouse turning in Chocolate Doom? I don't want any acceleration, I don't want any hard set limits on turning speed, I want in-game turning to be perfectly proportional to the horizontal movement of my mouse. Is this possible in Chocolate? If this isn't possible in Vanilla, I'll forgive you for not implementing it.

GhostlyDeath made the modifications, for KDiKDiZD. The statusbar and screenwipes are pink because of the setup that he added to make HOMs (too many drawsegs) clearly visible. The OPN limit is the openings limit; it's a weird limit that's pretty rare to hit without hitting the visplanes and/or drawsegs limits first, it has something to do with sprite/midtexture transparency I think. Going over the openings limit can result in a venetian blinds crash.

Creaphis said:

Set mouse_acceleration in chocolate-doom.cfg to 1.0 (the default is 2.0, it seems).

In Doom acceleration depends on the drivers used; for example, no acceleration when using common drivers for DOS (such as from a Genuis serial mouse), and some acceleration when using the standard serial driver mouse driver used by Windows for DOS applications.

If the mouse is too slow without acceleration, open default.cfg and increase mouse_sensitivity as desired. Keep in mind that if you set it to a high value, the engine will terminate if you go to the Options menu (I'm pretty sure Chocolate Doom has retained this bug). I use 50, for example.