Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawkwind

Doom Sector Type/Effect 14

Does sector type 14 actually work ?

DoomBuilder and Slade states it as Door Open Stay ( after 300 sec )

Deepsea states it as LikeADoor Close 5 minutes after Start

clearly these two are quite the opposite.

And THIS which states ... 14 Sector opens, waits 4 seconds, and closes 5 minutes after player starts level ..... different again.

I have done some experiments and cannot get anyone of them to work as stated.

Has anyone got doom sector type 14 to work, and if so, its correct function ?

...... YES, I should have used the search function ..... :/

Those descriptions are rather sketchy although they might all be pointing to the same idea, but in any case it's a door that opens after 5 minutes. It has previously been discussed here.

Upon further experimentation I can confirm that this one is correct ...

Sector type 14 - Door opens 5mins after start, wait 4 seconds, Close.

Update editor configs accordingly.

Yeah, it's a door that opens and closes at the 5 minute mark. It's used to interesting effect for a secret in one of the earlier Eternal Doom levels, and in Congestion 64. I've also been confused by the Doom Builder description for it, but I'm not surprised that it's wrong there, as this sector type is used even more rarely than reject effects.

I don't know if anyone has done it, but I think one good way to use this sector type is to have the door already open at the start of the level ; this gives the player 5 minutes to get to the area past the door before it closes.

Might be interesting to use it on a monster cache to have a more or less random teleport into the map.

Interesting thought. You could even use that effect to release monsters later than the 5 minute mark by putting the ceiling height of your type-14 door sector miles below the floor.

That effect could be used to emulate a sort of 'invasion': Monsters come at the 5 minute mark giving the feeling they've been 'travelling' down to kill you, and have taken time to get there.

Creaphis said:

You could even use that effect to release monsters later than the 5 minute mark by putting the ceiling height of your type-14 door sector miles below the floor.

With doors miles below the floor, you also could delay monsters for shorter periods than 5 minutes as well by just using a regular door which monsters can open.

The problem with all this is that players progress round maps at different rates. It's always better to trigger off your trap or whatever when the player reaches a certain point.

One particularly egregious example is CC2 map15. This has a bunch of numbered switches you can press in any order. and three huge monster teleporters. Instead of triggering the traps when the player has pressed some number of the switches, they are triggered when the game clock reaches 10, 20 and 30 minutes.

So, at one end of the extreme, you have the cc2lmps pack maxdemo, which is not a real maxdemo because

Anima Zero said in cc2lmps.zip/cc2lmps.txt
I didn't feel like going slow just so the last 2 waves could teleport in, so I just shot for 75% kills (That should be the max assuming only 1st wave teleports in).

and on the other end, you have poorly-skilled players getting overwhelmed by wave three when I-- er, I mean, they-- still haven't really finished running away from the first two...

Well, you can consider player speed differences by having the times different for each skill level. You make 2 more sets of all your teleport traps, but adjust them to release monsters sooner and later, and each difficulty level will only have one of these sets of traps stocked with monsters.

Linedef action 49 is also named wrong in Doom Builder. It lists it under ceilings, when it's actually a crusher.

Nuxius said:

Linedef action 49 is also named wrong in Doom Builder. It lists it under ceilings, when it's actually a crusher.

Correct. I actually sent CodeImp a whole bunch of corrected DB configs in November 2006 with this actual correction ...

49 = "S1 Ceiling Lower to 8 above Floor (perpetual slow crusher damage)";

They have been applied to Doom Builder 2. And I also fixed "sector type 14" in Doom Builder 2 when I noticed this topic. Thanks!

Strange, I wonder where and when they (id) said that publicly, if they did. The UDS does describe 14 pretty well, although it does not specify that the door closes.

fraggle said:

Don't forget sector type 15 - "ammo creator". No, it doesn't work, and there's no evidence of any attempt to implement it in the Doom source.

If it doesn't work, I see no reason to put it in the editor.