Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Creaphis

Mouse Acceleration in Quake

I know this is a silly place to ask this, but I'm assuming that a significant portion of Doom experts are also Quake experts.

I got Quake off Steam a while ago, and was right away turned off by the acceleration in mouse scrolling. I never actually played Quake when it was new, so it's a brand new experience for me - and this experience was ruined by what I perceive as a very annoying sort of mouse control. I want the distance that I move my mouse to be perfectly proportional to the amount that I turn.

Is there a way to set WinQuake/GLQuake to the sort of mouse control I want?
If not, is there a source port for Quake that would let me do this?
If not, is there an alternate Windows mouse driver that I could install for this? (I'm using a basic Logitech laser mouse, and I figure that the default accelerative Windows mouse driver is the problem here.)

I don't remember enough about WinQuake or glQuake, but I recommend ditching whatever Steam came with and go for a source port. There are a TON out there.

My favorites are FitzQuake for vanilla, Darkplaces for eye candy. Leileilol is the resident Quake expert, so you might want to ask him which port he recommends.

Another place to ask would be here. And this is a comprehensive and descriptive list of Quake's commands.

I use the latest unofficial ProQuake.
It's close to the original and limit removing (a sort of Prboom/Prboom-Plus).
The mouse acceleration is easily tweakable with.

Creaphis said:

I'm using a basic Logitech laser mouse

The Logitech mouse driver (v9.79) has an option to disable acceleration in games.
Give it a try if nothing else works.

Thanks guys. For some reason my computer thinks that my optical mouse is a "Logitech USB wheelmouse", and it's using an old driver, but ProQuake 3.99 is doing exactly what I want it to do. So, I shall now derail this topic slightly.

I keep hearing those Pig Cop sound effects from Duke 3D in this game. It's freaking me out.

Creaphis said:

I keep hearing those Pig Cop sound effects from Duke 3D in this game. It's freaking me out.

You won't like the wolves in Tomb Raider either