Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tangus

Question about texture alignments

After about 3 or so weeks messing with BD, im finally starting to develop a niche for doom mapping. I'm stating to notice how flexible you can be with sectors by using the vertices's tool and such.

Recently iv'e been getting into a habit by aligning the crap out of my
textures without the concern about the lengths of my linedefs.

So my question is, Is this a bad habit to get into?

Is it better fitting the textures equally/evenly into the linedefs?

Does it even matter?

If anything it seems like i'll just end up manipulating the linedefs
to where it fits the textures, but couldn't it easily go out of hand and
screw up your sectors?

So enlighten me if you could.

thx

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I definitely approve of splitting lines into pieces to stretch textures to fit walls evenly. Seeing autoalign abuse (panels and outlines wrapped around 90-degree angles, etc.) drives me crazy. In the end, as long as it looks good, it doesn't matter too much what you did to get it that way.

yes, what you said answered my question(s). I knew it wouldn't really matter in the long run as long as it looked good. I'll probably end up manipulating linedefs to where they fit the textures(without any problems occurring hopefully)to make it look like the way I want it to.

I'll also try to make the use of the vertices's split tool to fit my textures properly, instead of using the crap out of the alignment tool.

The only time you really need to worry about X alignment is when a particular spot doesn't look good without it (like stairs). There are certain textures that you have to be careful with though, like MODWALL, STARGR or GRAY1, where the textures are divided into panels. With these, you need to keep in mind the dimensions of the textures when you are designing your layout and details.

For the very reason of having to deal with X alignment on textures, I usually avoid textures like those unless I know I can make them work in a particular part of my map.

Yeah, it is important to make sure your architecture fits your textures. But, it's also possible to stretch and manipulate textures in many ways to make them fit your architecture. For example, consider a texture like Gray4. It only tiles well if your line length is a multiple of 64. But, what if you want it to evenly fit a wall that's 87 pixels long? Then, you can add an extra vertice to the middle of the line, and manually adjust the x offset of the right half of the wall to make the 64-pixel-wide texture fit 87 pixels instead.

For some reason, I like to put the METAL6 and METAL7 textures on irregularly shaped sectors, in which event they don't line up naturally. To fix this, I do what you appear to do Craphis and shift the texture along the X-axis so that a few of the lights are either longer or shorter, but the texture fits within bounds that aren't 64 pixels wide.

I agree with Essel... the technique one uses is irrelavent so long as it comes out the way you want it to. With the exception of curious mappers looking for inspiration, I don't think the average player will mind how the map was created so long as they can play it. (Yay! =D)

Now in terms of whether or not that's a good habit: maybe, maybe not. The flexibility is obviously a good thing to have. However, I can see where some mappers would use this technique constantly and take several times longer constructing a map that could be made much quicker with conventional methods of texture alignment and still look just as good. It just depends how much time you have/wnat to spend on your map. I like mapping fast, so I generally either make the walls a multiple of 64 pixals or use textures that look the same regardless of alignment.