Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomKn1ght

Doom Builder2 suggestion

I dont know if it is the right place but here some annoying suggestions:
-support for most of zdoom-gzdoom features
-MAPINFO editing (and other txt lump if possible)
-a way to here the ambient sounds you put on map and SNDINFO editing
-the possibility to insert primitives shape (like square,circle)
-"make sector" feature i think an editor called waded do this
-the possibility to place a vertice every pixel I cant do this in db1
-more customizable grid
-search thing by editor number or tag
-list used tag (thing or sector)

and please check this thread
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15509&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=slade

DoomKn1ght said:

doesn't it already?

that would be kind of nice

IMO "make sector" features are very stupid and unnecessary

try turning down your "auto-stitch distance"

-more customizable grid

what? the grid already goes down to 1x1, how more customizable could it get?

perhaps some sort of list that could be opened that would show a list of used tags and highlight the sectors/lines/things with them? that would be convenient from time to time.

DoomKn1ght said:

Doom Builder already has it. Insert sector by pressing Ctrl+Right Mouse Button in Linedef mode. You can set the radius and amount of vertices used, so entering 3 vertices will make a triangle, 4 will make a square and a whole lot of vertices will make a pretty nice circle. You can also create and use prefabs for different shapes and combinations of sectors and sector attributes.

DoomKn1ght said:

When you're editing a linedef or sector, you can click on the button 'Next Unused' to find the lowest unused sector or linedef tag, also if higher numbers are used. So, for example, if you used tags 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8, it will display 4 as the next unused tag. Also, Doom Builder has a pretty powerful find function, enabling you to find specific tags and linedef actions.

DoomKn1ght said:

I do remember CodeImp saying that he wanted to make a map editor, and nothing much more than that. It'd be great to have an all-in-one kinda program, where you can edit lumps in any way you see fit, though (and I do mean a free one).

Doom Builder 1 already has this and I see no reason why it wouldn't be in Doom Builder 2.

No. This is a MAP editor, not a WAD editor. MAPINFO is not a MAP-specific lump (perhaps a bad design from whoever designed MAPINFO, but I cannot change that).

-a way to here the ambient sounds you put on map and SNDINFO editing
I'm not adding a complete sound system just for that. The 3D mode is not meant to give you an accurate representation of the in-game experience, it is only meant to make editing easier. It does not replace testing in the sourceport you make your map for, just test your map in the game.

Doom Builder 1 already has this and I see no reason why it wouldn't be in Doom Builder 2.

If you're talking about a feature that allows clicking anywhere and it will re-create a sector from the surrounding lines? Yes it will be there.

Then your skill fails it. It is very possible with DB1.

-more customizable grid

-search thing by editor number or tag
Doom Builder 1 already has this and Doom Builder 2 won't have this because it doesn't use index numbers. Except for sectors for which you will still have this feature.

list used tag (thing or sector)
Yea good idea, I might make something like a "tags mode" where you can see and/or change which tags refer to which elements.

CodeImp said:

No. This is a MAP editor, not a WAD editor.

Honestly, I don't see why this is a problem. Map editors and WAD editors are very frequently used together, so from a design perspective it makes sense to integrate some WAD management features into a map editor. DeePsea already does this, and it would make editing easier.

Of course, coding Doom Builder is no doubt a lot of work, and we all respect the time you've been putting into this. But if such a feature is to be left out, I think it'd be better to do so on the grounds that you don't think it would be beneficial enough to spend time on, rather than for the stated reason that it wouldn't make sense in a map editor.

I think one of the problems to have wad editing features in DB (although personally I would like it for MAPINFO) is that eventually those lump formats are going to be done away with in favor of different formats depending on the port, and each port is going to have different ways of handling how any such lump is managed in the wad, and... and yeah, lots of "ands" to that path.

its not worth the effort in the long run, easier to just make a great map editor that can have its mapping functions updated with port specific configuration files.

CODEIMP said :

I was meaning : transfers,3Dfloor,3Dmodels,decal thing, mirror,portal,colormap..
ok at least only transfer height,3Dmodels and 3D floor because they are inherant
part of gameplay and other ports like risen 3D has them.
also if you can adjust fog and colormap in db2 it would be handy.

C

? I dont mean prefabs or curve linedefs. so how to?

CODEIMP said :

yes I am a retarded noob but I am stuck to 2x1 px whatever I do
even in the .cfg file I have the latest official release.

I have another problem with bridge things their z-height dont
save correctly and I cant set it from 3D mode moreover if they
collide with a wall

will it be the possibility of select from which of the Iwad or Pwad
or both the texture or flat are shown in the window like slade

a better support for glbsp because it crash in db and work in slade
with same parameters

So you might wonder I dont go to slade because slade has gruesome bugs
I cant map without it crash in the middle

CODEIMP said :
If you're talking about a feature that allows clicking anywhere and it will re-create a sector from the surrounding lines? Yes it will be there.

nice, db2 is in a good way.

DoomKn1ght said:

CODEIMP said :

yes I am a retarded noob but I am stuck to 2x1 px whatever I do
even in the .cfg file I have the latest official release.

True, the grid will not show up as 1x1 , but you can work within a 1x2 grid. Just make sure that "Snap to Grid" is turned OFF. Now you will be able to drag vertices\lines in a 1x1 grid, even though visually you will see a 1x2 grid. At least a workaround for now.

Actually, if you use the hotkey for resizing the grid lines... you can get it to 1x1 in the latest doom builder. The keys I use are '[' and ']'

Also, YAY! a make sector Feature?! thats awesome! Just what I always wanted santa... I mean Satan... I mean!! Code Imp!... :D

(for the record, I am very tired as of writing this post. Good Job on the feature list though Code!)[*slithers to bed.]

CodeImp said:

Thank you so much.

I wonder if a feature to switch linedefs number is possible
for example you select two linedefs and switch their numbers
because its annoying for the doom2.exe transparent door trick
linedefs must have a correct number.

essefortium said "Thank you so much."

yes, of course :D

I agree a all in one editor is not good but an option to call
an external application like slumped,xwe to edit the current wad
in db and then refresh so you can quick edit something
I don't have any clue if its already possible in doom builder 1.

Suggestions for inclusion in Doombuilder2:

Both, ZETH and Deepsea, have a nifty feature, that, when the mouse is over a tagged sector, the relevant linedef(s) is/are highlighted and vice versa.

ZETH has a feature, for example with monster pathnodes, that the tagged nodes are interconnected by guidelines.

If these could be included, then mapping would so much easier.

Kappes Buur said:

Both, ZETH and Deepsea, have a nifty feature, that, when the mouse is over a tagged sector, the relevant linedef(s) is/are highlighted and vice versa.

hasn't Doom Builder always had this feature?

Ha, so it does.
Now that I changed my colour scheme, it does show up nicely.
Thank you.

But the request for pathnode guidelines still stands. That would be very helpful.

Another suggestion that I figure it could be good is somekind of
multiple sector locked height incrementation or decrementation
or whatever you call it.
where the ceiling and floor height is adjust at the same time
like ++64 or --10 just like for things and of course several sector at
once.
That would be handy and speedy to fix the height of a room
or of a 3D floor and that would please me a lazy mapper.

On the top of the front page is (still) an article telling it is in development. There are no binaries for download yet. Although unfinished, the source code is available at sourceforge.net.

CodeImp said:

On the top of the front page is (still) an article telling it is in development. There are no binaries for download yet. Although unfinished, the source code is available at sourceforge.net.

I can't get the sourcecode with tortoise svn. get an error :(

Since when is the grid rectangular (1x2 or 2x1)? IMO that's most definitely a bug.

Suggestion:
I'd really love to be able to avoid certain texture sets when making a map in Doom Builder. For instance, how about disabling TEXTURE2 when making an Episode-1-style Doom map? Or making a Gothic map with only Gothic texes, no Doom 2 junk.

The grid in DB1 could be (optionally) rectangular, but it isn't by default. I don't know where I ever got the illusion that this would be usefull, but it won't be possible in DB2.

DoomKn1ght: Using TortoiseSVN, right-click in Explorer where you want the sourcecode and choose "SVN Checkout", then use this repository URL:

https://doombuilder.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/doombuilder/trunk
If that does not work I don't know what's wrong. Try reading the documentation at sourceforge.net.

printz said:

Suggestion:
I'd really love to be able to avoid certain texture sets when making a map in Doom Builder. For instance, how about disabling TEXTURE2 when making an Episode-1-style Doom map? Or making a Gothic map with only Gothic texes, no Doom 2 junk.

Agreed. Building on this idea, how about a way to organize textures? Either with folders/categories or with searchable keywords? "red metal2 32x32 squares", etc. It'd be really nice for working on projects with large texture wads...

Doom Builder 1 already had this (although not in the interface, it was in the game configs) and to my knowledge it was never really used by many, if at all.

printz said:

Since when is the grid rectangular (1x2 or 2x1)? IMO that's most definitely a bug.

Suggestion:

My dream will be to have a "Texturepacks" folder where you put all
texture where do you put all Texture packs and in texture
browsing window you can choose what pack to display like this example.

* ---texture wads
|
+---ultimate doom
|
+---doom2
|
+---tnt
|
+---plutonia
|
+---skulltag
|
+---+Zdoom
|
+--Sprites
|
+--GFX
|
+--hirestex defined*

*note(check composites textureson this:http://zdoom.org/wiki/HIRESTEX)
if db2 support these new zdoom features of course

and maybe the possibility to define group/list of texture in .cfg

and eventually an option to compile only used texture into wad

I'll stop here I don't want codeimp to go mad. :D

[i]codeimp said[i]
DoomKn1ght: Using TortoiseSVN, right-click in Explorer where you want the sourcecode and choose "SVN Checkout", then use this repository URL:
code:https://doombuilder.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/doombuilder/trunk

It only download a .cfg and a build folder and I am stuck at 0kb/s
or I get this error:

Error: PROPFIND request failed on '/viewvc/doombuilder/trunk'
Error: PROPFIND of '/viewvc/doombuilder/trunk': 301 Moved (http://doombuilder.svn.sourceforge.net)

so I'll wait you release some kind of beta someday.