Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgtcrispy

New NIN Album! TOTALLY FREE!!

Heh, that was kind of surprising... all formats for no fee. Though it's not hard to find Ghosts I-IV in FLAC format unofficially for free (legally, I might add), that may have had a part in it.

Edit: 1,000,000 somehow has a familiar tune in it... I'm not sure though, heh

Yeah, here too. The internets have exploded. Maybe his next album will be a torrent.

Bucket said:

Yeah, here too. The internets have exploded. Maybe his next album will be a torrent.

Once you get the mail, most of the options ARE torrents (I think it was all but the MP3s). I was wondering how he was planning to serve 24/96 wavs, heh.

24/96s, torrents, properly tagged files, even the <lyrics> tag...if only more artists embraced Internet rather than adamantly fight against a paradigm.

Jim Rainer said:

Hey look, 5 hours later I get the email.

You're not seriously complaining about something that's being given away for free, are you?

Anyway, I'm currently listening to it. It's pretty darn good. :D

Sounds like a bunch of leftovers... I heard somewhere he had a lot of extra stuff from With Teeth that he was going to do something with. Track 9 is pretty much a lengthened Ghosts song, and apparently the last track is suspiciously similar to that Saul Williams album he was involved with. And Discipline is just, uh, yeah.

I mean, it's very cool that he's giving it away and he is clearly having a blast being free from any record label, but the album itself is mediocre at best.

Yeah, my email came in before I could even open the client. Though I probably tried on one of the least active hours in the day :P

it sounds like a new album. I have to let it sink in a little longer, but i don't get that feeling like "oh, it sounds like fragile" or "oh, it sounds like year zero". This sounds new.

skadoomer said:

it sounds like a new album. I have to let it sink in a little longer, but i don't get that feeling like "oh, it sounds like fragile" or "oh, it sounds like year zero". This sounds new.

Weird. It really feels like Year Zero meets Ghosts to me, but I need to listen to it a few more times before I make any sort of judgment.

Xenphire said:

This beats the shit out of With Teeth...

You do realize that doesn't say much, right?

Xenphire also said:

...and Year Zero.

Personally, Year Zero made me all happy inside the first time I listened to it. To me that's what makes a good album or one album better than another. This one, not so. Then again, I was half asleep while listening to it. Of course, being the completist that I am, I know I'll just find SOME excuse to like this album.

Upon repeated listening it still sounds like a bunch of C-sides and boring pop songs.

Xenphire said:

This beats the shit out of With Teeth and Year Zero.

I strongly disagree on both counts. With Teeth was not a good album overall, but there is nothing on The Slip that can even remotely compare to "All the Love In the World" or "The Line Begins to Blur." This album is just... bland.

What the fuck is a C-side?

Anyway, I'm downloading the album right now. Gonna give it a listen pretty soon. On a semi-related interesting note, I'm now last.fm buddies with someone who may or may not be Trent Reznor.

I thought it was decent for first 5-6 tracks, but then it turns into crap. It's got the same problem I have with the Mar Volta's "Frances the Mute," too much noise and not enough actual music (but "The Slip" doesn't do it for almost 80 minutes).

david_a said:

Worse than a B-side, obviously.

Your right but I think he meant it in a more 3-demential triangle vinyl.

And as for Trent he became quite the machine. Remember when he would do an album and disappeared for half a decade and then releasing the odd single or remix and then totally have another album. He released as much in a year then his catalogue before it.

Technician said:

Your right but I think he meant it in a more 3-demential triangle vinyl.

That was kinda my point (side C not existing). I suppose a three-dimensional vinyl record would be pretty "demential" though ;)

Trent has made a ton of releases lately. Supposedly he was pretty messed up from TDS all the way to WT, so maybe he's just coming out of the drug stupor. Al Jourgensen (Ministry) did the same thing - silent for a long time, then cleaned up and came back with a vengeance.

After a second, fully awake listening of the album, my opinion of it has risen. Who knows? After a third listen it may just be the greatest (or at least most audacious) album NIN has ever released.

MikeRS said:

1,000,000 somehow has a familiar tune in it... I'm not sure though, heh

Its a similair riff to The Hand that Feeds except in a different key and more fuzz.

Lights in the Sky is perhaps his most honest piece since hurt.

It really feels like Year Zero meets Ghosts to me

never listened to year zero. how is it?

skadoomer said:

I'm a bad person to ask that. I seem to be one of the few who was not wowed by it.

So I gave it a listen...

It sounded like basic popular hard rock, just with more distorted guitars and keyboards. Meh.

skadoomer said:

Year Zero is good but not great. It feels a little bit like it's not quite done... It would have been better if a few of the weaker, same-y tracks were ditched and some more polish was applied to the rest. Still a solid album, though.

skadoomer said:

Lights in the Sky is perhaps his most honest piece since hurt.

Which is funny you should say that, because the lyrics I can make out appear to directly reference In This Twilight and Zero Sum from Year Zero and thus would be set about 15 years in the future, and as a result seems more of a requiem for the YZ story than an honest piece.