Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

The most chilling/disturbing/scariest game or moment?

that looks like a game i would've killed myself playing back in the day.
that made me think of the staff of karnath and land of impossibility.
i used to love those games.

Oh man, I completely forgot about Weird Dreams. :D I played the DOS version a while back and it's a great game but hard as hell. It's one of those games where you have to know exactly what to do and when to do it or else you die over and over again.

The worst ever moment for me was when a friend of mine stole my MSN login and posted that I was gonna take my life, including my complete adress and cellphone number. I banned him from my MSN and changed my password. But the true extents of this sht struck me when I got phonecalls from my relatives in Switserland who asked if I was ok. I can tell you that I was sick for 4 consecutive months afterwards!

I suppose the most chilling moment was when I discovered the PacMan ghosts level in Wolfenstein 3D. The ghosts still creep me out, even to this day. Silently crawling up on you... *shiver*

As far as scariest goes, the most startling thing was when I first saw (or rather didn't see) the Spectres in Doom 2, The Gantlet, in the sunk, dark water room. For sustained, sticky fear, my personal winner is Thief 1/2 - Return to the Cathedral / Any Thief 2 Level With Robots In It.

I'd have to say Call of Cthulhu: dark corners of the earth.It was mainly disturbing but there where "Holy shit" moments in that game also;
-When the Deep ones board the boat and start killing everyone
-when you see the captain of the ship go crazy and blowing his own brains out.
-When you find the little girl and ask her "can I talk to your mother" and she replies "Daddy keeps mommy locked in the attic.She's been bad."Then when you go to investigate you open the small hatch on this reinforced door just to see some big fucker slam against it and then tear it off it's hinges.
-the End of the game was creepy.

Snarboo said:

Oh man, I completely forgot about Weird Dreams. :D I played the DOS version a while back and it's a great game but hard as hell. It's one of those games where you have to know exactly what to do and when to do it or else you die over and over again.

Just like I Wanna Be the Guy. Except this game was weirder and kinder.

Haloless0320 said:

I'd have to say Call of Cthulhu: dark corners of the earth.It was mainly disturbing but there where "Holy shit" moments in that game also;
-When the Deep ones board the boat and start killing everyone
-when you see the captain of the ship go crazy and blowing his own brains out.
-When you find the little girl and ask her "can I talk to your mother" and she replies "Daddy keeps mommy locked in the attic.She's been bad."Then when you go to investigate you open the small hatch on this reinforced door just to see some big fucker slam against it and then tear it off it's hinges.
-the End of the game was creepy.

Thank you, I'm glad someone else played that game. It really is amazing, probably the most atmospheric game I've ever played. It beats out all the resident evils and the silent hills in my opinion. It's just amazing how weak and helpless it makes you feel, and the feeling of oppressiveness you get from it. From the maggots crawling inside of a dead homeless persons mouth to firing shells into Dagon's head, and everything in between, it's a schizophrenic rush. Losing sanity, shaking, blurred vision, trying to aim a revolver at a monsters head with a broken right arm that you can barely keep up, the atmosphere is fantastic. The fish people are really damn creepy as well. The whole Innsmouth part of the game could've very well been a game to it's own.

Well, it's not so much chilling or scary, but Manhunt stroke me as pretty gross, brutal and sinister game, clearly giving a negative massage to the players. I'm not easily intimidated by creepy atmosphere in games (I kinda like that feeling, anyway), as much as I find it disturbing that a game gives a reward for killing humans (eg. Carmageddon), or puts the player in the role of a sadistic, omnipotent being (Dungeon Keeper).

I remember when I played Alien Vs. Predator as a marine, too. There weren't many particularly nerve-wracking moments -- I got bored of the game rather quickly -- but one thing that scared the living shit out of me was when I was killed by a facehugger. I didn't even see it at first.

And the first level of Unreal used to scare me, too. It's a shame they didn't keep that level of confused, claustrophobic horror for any of the following levels. I must admit that even though I virtually know that level top to bottom and have heard those screams a shitload of times, it still makes me slightly uncomfortable to play it. I can't quite put my finger on the reason why.

Doom 3 was the first time in a while that I was ever actually frightened by a video game...Which made it all the more exciting. I still remember partially what it was like when demons first truly broke lose within the facility and you heard those frightening transmissions. Maybe I'm just a fucking sissy, but I was quite impressed with the horror factor in that game.

pilottobombadier said:

Wow, I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned the first Suffering Game. That puts RE and Silent Hill on their ears.

The first Suffering had a lot of moments where I needed a break from the game because of how creepy it was. Im still surprised with how much language is in that game and some of them haven even been said in another game.

Don't get me wrong, The Suffering was a great game, but it seemed to suffer in the same way that Undying did: the beginning was atmospheric and scary, but towards the end of the game it really seemed to lose steam. I dunno, maybe it just seemed like that to me.

pilottobombadier said:

Wow, I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned the first Suffering Game. That puts RE and Silent Hill on their ears.

Really? I found the horror element to be laughable compared to Silent Hill.

I remember when I bought a game called "Forbidden Siren" for the PS2. The close up of the zombies combined with atmospheric ambient sounds was really scary. The whole horror element was well pulled off in that game. Truly terrifying when I played it. It still does, but doesn't give me nightmares :P

Richo Rosai said:

Really? I found the horror element to be laughable compared to Silent Hill.

Silent Hill nearly put me to sleep and it's sequels are worse. Although I do agree with the Suffering losing steam toward the end (as do most S/H games - including Silent Hill), it held it very well throughout probabaly 75 - 80 % of the game. It's even better after you've unlocked the hidden intro.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the final boss stage of Hexen1 yet...
Cause I certainly freaked out the first time that I met Korax, the supposed second Serpent Rider.

First of all, he didn't even look like a rider, but rather like an actual serpent who got abandoned by a rider.
Second of all, he kept making this really loud screech which reminded me of a speeding subway train grinding to an abrupt halt.
Third of all, he had 6 arms which launched projectiles simultaneously.
Fourth of all, he kept summoning a row of huge spikes to rapidly rise from the ground.
Fifth of all, he kept transforming the stone floor around the spikes into lava.
That was truely terrifying.

Oh and about Jedi Knight, the only thing that scared me was that level of the falling cargoship where the gravity was malfunctioning, the walls became the floors while the floors became the walls, and box crates were sliding diagonally down to squish everything that stood in their path.
That level had a really immersive claustrophobic atmosphere.

pilottobombadier said:

Silent Hill nearly put me to sleep and it's sequels are worse. Although I do agree with the Suffering losing steam toward the end (as do most S/H games - including Silent Hill), it held it very well throughout probabaly 75 - 80 % of the game. It's even better after you've unlocked the hidden intro.

Yeah, I found Silent Hill the movie to be way creepier than the games, and that was even knowing pretty much what to expect in the movie.

Kirby said:

I'd have to go with the 7th Guest, when you get into the basement labrynth. Not only did I get lost in that dark thing quickly, I couldn't find my way out. Every few seconds, there would be a voice in the background, lightly saying something freaky. I got really jumpy when he started talking about the three-headed dog and that I should watch my step. That's when I finally found my way out, and NEVER went back in :P

DUDE! You made me remember that great game from when I was 5!

My sister always used to terrorize me with it [:p]

Rather than scratching my head for too long I'll just go for the most recent... Stalker.

The bit would be the first lab you go down into with the poltergeists. After I saw the first object begin to levitate I pissed my pants and legged it. The underground sections of that game are horrible.

Other immediates would be the hospital room with the abstract daddies in SH2, and the chase from your bed in the hotel in Call of Cthulu DCOTE.

My dad caught me jerking off while playing Dead or Alive, Beach Volleyball...

The first silent hill, the first time I played it. It was late, I was alone. The first monster came through the window, I jumped of my seat, pulled the controller, pulled the PSX and made a mess. Luckily, nothing broke.

Now, you now my secret...

hmm, can't really think of anything that scared the bejeezus out of me, but here are some of the scariest moments. Again I wasn't really scared, just... startled. i did get some good chills down my Spine though.

Half-Life 2: Ravenholm. So, this is a potential candidate to a truly scary moment. Creepy Zombies everywhere, scary sounds, lots and lots of bodies and blood. My ammo was constantly running out (did not want to use the gravity gun since it killed the mood, I WANTED to be scared). Unfortunately the second time I played it all the magic was lost and it ruined the thrill for me.

Resident Evil 4, in the castle, where you have to send ashley to raise the platforms to cross some sort of pool. Damn Monks wouldn't stop coming. Several moments in the village gave me goosebumps. The boss fights kinda killed the scary mood since they were so flashy and not nearly much of a challenge. Also the regenerator (I think it's called) was kinda scary. At first.

several Folk stories of my country including the Death Wagon, the Black Dog and the White Dog, the Weeping Woman, and more gave me serious frights as a kid, but now as a teenager I find them entertaining. I might still piss my pants if i'm in the wrong part of town at midnight though.