Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Can i make more then 4 episodes appear on the list?

I was wandering, is it possible to make, say 5 episodes appear on the main menu screen where you select the episode you want to play?

Example:

Knee-deep in the dead.
The shores of Hell.
Inferno.
The Flesh consumed.
episode 5!

Is it possible or does Doom only support 4 episodes at most?

This is easy if you're using ZDoom. Just add another episode in a MAPINFO lump.

But for vanilla doom, absolutely not.

ler said:

This is easy if you're using ZDoom. Just add another episode in a MAPINFO lump.

But for vanilla doom, absolutely not.

But what about other boom ports other then Zdoom?

hardcore_gamer said:

But what about other boom ports other then Zdoom?

Only zdoom can do more than 4 episodes... ONLY so don't ask again

You allready got the answer before. If you missed it then here it is again:

Only zdoom can do more than 4 episodes... ONLY so don't ask again

What's the maximum maps/episodes we can get with ZDoom ?

Well technically, any ZDoom based port has support for MAPINFO and thus more than 4 episodes.

But Skulltag, Odamex, and Zdaemon aren't exactly single-player choices (well I suppose Skulltag is, but it likes Doom 2 better, not that there's anything stopping you from putting episode selection there).

ler said:

Well technically, any ZDoom based port has support for MAPINFO and thus more than 4 episodes.

But Skulltag, Odamex, and Zdaemon aren't exactly single-player choices (well I suppose Skulltag is, but it likes Doom 2 better, not that there's anything stopping you from putting episode selection there).

Actually, as far as I know ZDaemon would not support this because it is based on zdoom 1.23.

Odamex definitely does NOT support this. Though Odamex was based on zdoom 1.22, it has undergone such radical changes (mostly due in part to Heretic/Hexen code needing to be removed for GPL compliance) that it does not even support MAPINFO lumps.

Skulltag would definitely work.

EDGE lets you add episodes too. In fact it relies on "episodes" which is why it even has an episode selection screen in Doom 2, though there is of course only one. You could also have 100 levels per episode if you wanted... though it would take forever to make them

hardcore_gamer said:
I was wandering,

You shouldn't roam about like that. You could get lost.

alterworldruler said:

ONLY so don't ask again

How the hell can you be positive on that? At any time some fellow could make his nonZdoom port support its own multi-episode menu choice system.

If the port allows arbitrary maplump naming, well then you may still be able to make a Quake-style Start map to make the player able to choose the episode.

Also, it's known that Ultimate Doom supports E5Mx levels (x from 1 to 9), but as very limited: they're only reachable with -warp, the sky is of the AASTINKY texture (can we then modify AASTINKY for a good purpose???), and the levels can't be exit, IF I AM RIGHT, because there'd be a problem/lack with the intermission.

@Printz

It is true that many a port can do a Quake style start map to add more episodes.

But Hardcore_gamer was asking about a MENU, not a Quake style start map. Which as has been stated can only be done in ZDoom (and hence Skulltag) and EDGE at the moment.

Vermil said:

It is true that many a port can do a Quake style start map to add more episodes.

I'm also interested to know it, and also if a skill selection map like for eternity can be done in ZDoom.

printz said:
Also, it's known that Ultimate Doom supports E5Mx levels (x from 1 to 9), but as very limited: they're only reachable with -warp, the sky is of the AASTINKY texture (can we then modify AASTINKY for a good purpose???), and the levels can't be exit, IF I AM RIGHT, because there'd be a problem/lack with the intermission.

Yeah, I remember doing that with 2002ADO's E5M1. The sky looked strange, kind of like tutti frutti, possibly because the texture was too small. I don't recall if I managed to allow the intermission screen to show... perhaps by adding the requested resources.

If my memory serves me well, the only reason E5Mx-E9Mx* and 33+ maps would crash Doom when you exited them was because the code for the level name graphics was hard coded to only go up to E4M9 and 32.

*obviously E4Mx-E9Mx for Doom in earlier versions of the engine