Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Doom 4 in Motion, id Is Hiring

A recent announcement by Todd Hollenshead, CEO of id Software, marks the beginning of production for the next installment of Doom. Another Hell on Earth, maybe? Who knows, but if you've got your resume handy and think you qualify as the "greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth", then maybe you can find out for yourself.

If it's a remake of Hell on Earth this time, it has the potential to be epic. Think swarms of hellspawn flooding major city streets.

im going to get it solely for the fact its doom.

who knows, maybe it will end up being good. well i liked doom 3 a lot, so im bound to like this one. its hard for me to come by a first person shooter that i dont really like.

i hear they're using Doom 1.9! that would be kinda cool, i'd buy it.

I just hope that they've taken the complaints about Doom 3 to heart and will design the new game in a way that eliminates them.

But at the same time, I've also learned a lesson; I'm not going to be following this one as closely as I did Doom 3. Getting too hyped up about it and knowing too much beforehand helped to kill the experience.

Maybe they'll have instances with squads of marines holding off hordes of hellspawn, only to be overrun. I'm assuming it's Hell on Earth but I could be wrong, they could make it take place on another planetiod. Or... BOTH. :P

Maybe in this one the space marine kills angels. You know, to keep light and dark in balance and all that.

LOL Modern FPS's. Maybe this one will not be irritating and shitty (sorry "keeping you in a state of suspense") but i won't hold out much hope.

They just need to concentrate more on game-play than graphics this time. Doom3 was a really sweet looking game, but the game-play was no different than the wolfenstein era; boring, ordinary. Great in the early 90's, bad in the late 00's.

I think it's going to be a bit more fun than DOOM 3 the first time you play it, but will have a low replay value. And of course it'll require you to have a gigacomputer in order to play it.

Good to hear but I'm looking more forward to an new Wolfenstein game, I'm still going to buy it since doom is the best game ever made.

I want Doom 4 to be just like Doom 3. You know, not oriented on gimmicky squad bullshit and instead being, you know, DOOM.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I just hope it isn't super linear.

News flash, all modern FPS games are like that.

id software aren't very good at telling compelling stories in game. I hope they either get it right or just drop the aspect of telling the player "demons have invaded! omg, from hell?" from a bunch of bland characters.

This just made my day!

There are of course, many things left out of doom 3 that, if fixed, would help make the game epic:

-Huge outdoor locations - especially if this is a retelling of hell on earth

-lots of new monsters, plus more classic enemies brought back - next gen Arachnitrons and pain elementals (the doom 64 version of the latter was superbly horrific!)

-weapons with built in lights! (Everyone can agree with me on that!)

Can't wait till we hear more news!

I bet a bunch of people are going to make wild and baseless speculation

pizzabob18 said:

-weapons with built in lights! (Everyone can agree with me on that!)

This would defeat the entire point of making the game dark. If you want it to be brighter, it'd make more sense for them to make the actual levels brighter than it would to stick a lightbulb on you.

esselfortium said:

This would defeat the entire point of making the game dark. If you want it to be brighter, it'd make more sense for them to make the actual levels brighter than it would to stick a lightbulb on you.

The thing about seeing with a flashlight is that it's very limited vision. That's the difference, not being able to see really far.

I hope Doom 4 includes a flashlight, just to appease all the people who whined about the lack of one in Doom 3. Then I hope that flashlight has cheap batteries that last all of thirty seconds, just to annoy them again...

(I think that'd be a good pre-order bonus: Doom 3 came with figurines, Doom 4 could come with a keychain flashlight or something.)