Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Doom 4 in Motion, id Is Hiring

dutch devil said:
Doom 3 had an flashlight.

Oop. That's right, it just couldn't be used at the same time as the main weapon. Okay, so change all my ideas to cheap, crappy duct tape...

sgtcrispy said:

mmm, more doomy goodness.
Let the several years long wait begin!

Haha. I'm with you.

Bucket said:
Another Hell on Earth, maybe?

Most likely, considering Todd Hollenshead said:

Doom is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth.

Meh, IMO, the games that id have produced haven't been that special for the last 10 years or so and Doom3, as a game, certainly wasn't worth the wait. So you'll have to forgive me for not getting excited about this.

Yawn.

Doom 3 didn't blow me away gameplay wise, but I found it to be tolerable. Hopefully Doom 4 will be better.

Enjay said:

Meh, IMO, the games that id have produced haven't been that special for the last 10 years or so and Doom3, as a game, certainly wasn't worth the wait. So you'll have to forgive me for not getting excited about this.

Yawn.

Agreed. Well said.

a release window poll should be started! pic a 2 month period and bet!

I choose June-July 2011! and I bet all my internets!

Fusion said:

They just need to concentrate more on game-play than graphics this time. Doom3 was a really sweet looking game, but the game-play was no different than the wolfenstein era; boring, ordinary. Great in the early 90's, bad in the late 00's.

Are you serious? Aside from the lighting, doom 3's graphics were horrible. Maybe I have to play it on ultra detail (~5 fps probably) to get some decent graphics.
I hope there's a flashlight attached to each weapon. Just make it like Halo: Combat Evolved's flashlight in the sense that it works for a while, then it has to recharge for an extended period of time.
And for fuck's sake, weapon melee attacks.

Jim Rainer said:

Aside from the lighting, doom 3's graphics were horrible.

That's a rare opinion.

Prey felt more like what Doom 3 should've been than Doom3 itself. Regardless, I'm excited and I hope they add some new elements in to the gameplay. Can't keep making the same game for 15+ years.

I liked Doom 3 and all of my expectations were fulfilled. I hope Trent decides to do the sound design this time around.

Doom Marine said:

I'll buy it.

I still gotta buy Doom 3...but yea, I'll probably buy it as well.

Enjay said:

Regardless of whether we will use it ourselves, it can still generate interest in DOOM and DOOM II like DOOM 3 did.

I Will Buy it!

I just hope it's more based on Doom 2 (actually taking place on earth) which would be pretty awesome as Earth is open while everything in mars is cramped. It could do very good if it was a Doom 2 remake.

How about a clear blue sky in Doom 4!?

GhostlyDeath said:

I just hope it's more based on Doom 2 (actually taking place on earth) which would be pretty awesome as Earth is open while everything in mars is cramped.

Until this statement, I thought that Doom taking place yet again on Earth would be a lack of imagination, and would have prefered it to take place on a more remote planet/moon instead, just like Evilution.

But remembering how cool some of Petersen's Doom 2 levels actually are, I'd now change my mind. Top gameplay in them, art-defying architecture. But, of course, Doom 4 also being severely linearized by the sellout standards.

I hope that Doom 4 weapons have lights mounted on them. Isn't this game supposed to take place in 2145 or something. Even modern weapons we have today have lights on them. =P Anyway, I'm not to picky about what I play. While I like old-school dooming better, I still liked Doom3. I had fun playing it if not just to admire the graphics and audio. No doubt I'll buy Doom 4 too. I'd be cool though if the gameplay was a bit faster paced than Doom 3.

Jesus Christ, who even said you'd NEED a flashlight in Doom 4? They started planning THIS WEEK.

Jim Rainer said:

Are you serious? Aside from the lighting, doom 3's graphics were horrible.

So you're telling me that in 2004 when Doom3 came out the graphics were horrible? What video game are you comparing it too? To my knowledge in 2004 nothing came close to Doom3's graphics. You must have a real pos computer if you can't run doom3 on ultra quality by now.

Actually, not to say what he means but "graphics" is a combination of engine rendering techniques, their use, and artwork. There is nothing objectively beautiful in Doom 3. I don't think Doom 3's graphics are particularly attractive, myself.

Uh, I don't know what Bioshock you were playing, but that game was pretty linear.

Fusion said:

You must have a real pos computer if you can't run doom3 on ultra quality by now.

Not everyone has so much fucking disposable income that they can upgrade their computer every 6 months.

Psycho Siggi said:

Will Sandy Petersen be making the city maps?

If so Doom 4 would be trash solely for this reason. Doom 3 wasn't absolutely awesome, but I would like the game to be longer, and I think Doom 4 would do a good job of doing just that. As long as It's out there on Xbox 360 it will be in my game bank.

exp(x) said:

Not everyone has so much fucking disposable income that they can upgrade their computer every 6 months.

Where did i say 6 months? It's been 4 years since Doom3 was released.

JohnnyRancid said:

If so Doom 4 would be trash solely for this reason. Doom 3 wasn't absolutely awesome, but I would like the game to be longer, and I think Doom 4 would do a good job of doing just that. As long as It's out there on Xbox 360 it will be in my game bank.

Oh pshh. It's not a Hell on Earth remake without Sandy Petersen "city" maps.

Fusion said:

So you're telling me that in 2004 when Doom3 came out the graphics were horrible? What video game are you comparing it too? To my knowledge in 2004 nothing came close to Doom3's graphics. You must have a real pos computer if you can't run doom3 on ultra quality by now.

Well, excuse me for not being able to afford more than a budget computer and an extra gig of RAM. A part time minimum wage job doesn't allow for uber-powerful computer purchasing.
As for comparisons, I'm going with Halo 2. Doom 3 did a lot better with lighting, reflections and bump mapping, but halo 2 didn't have things like, say, hands consisting of a thumb and a finger, with three fingers glued together, octagons to represent cans, etc.