Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

[Music] Jimmy's MIDI Collection / "ZDoom", "Get Ready" and more, oh my!

I'm doing MIDI music specifically for Doom - some feedback on it would be greatly appreciated. These MIDIs are free for anyone else to use in their mods - credit to me is all that is needed.

Here's my music page:
http://www.freewebs.com/j91doom/music.htm
And my music folder (direct links ahoy!):
http://www.freewebs.com/j91doom/music/

And here's the direct links to the MIDIs up at current:

Finished:
Action (3:34)
Alice NEW! (1:18)
Ambience (1:12)
Bergschrund (2:58)
Birds (2:45)
Dulce (4:24!!)
GADDAC (3:24)
Get Ready RECENT! (1:34)
Guardhouse (3:52)
Ice (3:27)
Move It (0:36)
Squar (3:42)
Technownage (3:20)
TeraByte (3:29)
Wreck (3:04)
ZDoom Community Map Project Theme RECENT! (3:40)

Titles (ALL NEW!):
Endgame (0:07)
Evil Hero (0:24)
In My Mind (0:14)
Instant Gibbage (0:12)
Omnipotence Rising (0:18)
Psychos (0:22)
Sitar (0:24)
Skulls (0:33)

Be sure to check the page out for in-depth descriptions and thoughts on my own music. :P

Currently Unfinished:
Abandonment (1:40)
Arabia (0:32) NEW!
The Big Bad Boss (1:54)
Bombshell (0:57) NEW!
Cursed Stone (1:46)
Strength in Numbers (1:18)
Vibrant Liquids (1:02) NEW!

(I'd appreciate it if you refrained from using these, at least until they're moved to the finished section, thanks. :D)

Please comment on my latest as well as my unfinished ones!

Cool. They're of a genre that seems to be quite missing from Doom, as the wads mostly come up with blues, metal and lamentation music (eg d_ddtblu, d_e3m8, d_e1m8).

I've moreso heard techno-action music in Descent and I think Doom should have some too.

Bergschrund starts with a Heretic-like string introduction, heh, but goes in a Phobos e1m5-like mystery craze tune.

Dulce is balanced, more songs like it would make a collection.

Thanks!

I think techno is more my thing - although I try to get it to fit in Doom with memorable (and sometimes repetitive) riffs that fit a map style, that I either conjure up in my imagination, or that I have planned out on paper (in a 2D layout form). Getting custom music (especially techno) to fit a Doom map is actually harder than it sounds when I don't have a specific style that the music follows.

Similarly to how I can daub a map down in Doom Builder and have almost the entire layout planned out in my head in advance, just by having a good NAME for the map, I can get a good tune in a very satisfying stage of completion quite quickly, by envisaging a good enough map or map style to go with it.

So, as long as I have inspiration in one area, I could, theoretically, go ahead and make an entire new megawad from scratch. :D

I thought Action, GADDAC, Instant Gibbage, and Move It were all sort of tacky, but my criticism ends there.

Technownage is okay but not really my thing. Wreck is a solid track if you can find a map that goes with it. Terabyte, Dulce and Bergschrund are fantastic. I'm looking forward to using them in a WAD at some point. Dulce feels a little Mark Klem-y toward the end.

The high point for me, though, has to be Ambience. It's really interesting to see a midi taken in that direction rather than a more musical one, and I love it. I hope you run with that idea and maybe make a longer, more fleshed-out version.

Thanks for the comments, Ryathaen, very much appreciated. :) I'm also glad you like Ambience - it's WAY out of my style, and was very much experimental. I'm surprised it came out as well as it did. And yes, please use those that you labelled as fantastic! :)

There' a new MIDI up: Squar, though not on the music page yet.

By the way, I have a program to convert these into extremely-awesome-sounding MP3s, if anyone wants them in that format, say so, I'll upload them and put them as an alterate download on my music page! :)

Great - real PC game music... love it.
Though it reminds me more of Terminator and Apogee.

Action sounds more like a Daily-grind kind of music, as if the action you're facing at the time is tedious and easy. I don't really like it, it should be more itense, with heavier sounds, with a sped up melody and slowed down percussion.

Ambience really sounds great. I can't think of any criticisms for it, except for that annoying sound (Bell?) that repeats itself about halfway through the song until the end.

Now wreck is truly great. It sounds very useable and atmospheric, which, as the name implies, it should be.

Nice Job.

Fantastic! I loved them.

Ultra-fucking-mad-hardcore props for your work. These tracks are better suited for Doom wads than more than half the music Doom wads actually use. :P

@bruce: Thanks! But...I do _NOT_ compare to Lee Jackson. Yet. :D
@Megaz: That bell is actually a really low Telephone Ring. I imagined it being a heavy, industrial alarm of some kind (I actually had a huge space station as a Doom map in mind while composing this).
I'm glad Ambience is actually audible to most of you here, some people have been complaining that its fervent abuse of MIDI renders it inaudible with some MIDI banks/sound cards.
@EarthQuake: Haha, thanks for that! :D I like to think my music fits Doom... otherwise I wouldn't be posting it here. :)

Anyways, new MIDI up!

This one's a little number called Birds. One of my personally considered best, I believe. :)

Jimmy, I just have to let you know that I'm really enjoying your custom MIDIs. I feel compelled to visit this page just so I can listen to them for no apparent reason. =D By the way, you gave us the ">:(" face since no one commented on "Berschrund" a while back, so I'm letting you know that's my favorite of the 12 on the list posted here. It's the perfect combat music, intense just like you intended.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to more of your tracks! =)

I think I've got plenty of feedback on Bergschrund now, at least. I intended to remove that sentence awhile back, anyway. :)

Haven't commented on the two latest midis, so let me just say they are both excellent. There's a little part in the middle of Birds that sounds reminiscent of the SNES Shadowrun game and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Guardhouse and Ice are now up - they are probably my best ever, now I've finally got to uploading them. :-) However, they are probably subject to change as they're not (at least in my opinion) 100% finished yet. Still, comments/feedback are needed! :D

Descriptions for them on my site are still underway.

What program do you use? The only programs I have that can create midis are incapable of getting any midi sounds apart from the default set (like, I can't get the bass drum sound you used in Ice.)
Oh btw, I really like Guardhouse. Ice is cool too (no pun intended.)

Last time I posted, I said that Bergschrund was my favorite, but I think Guardhouse just topped it (maybe not quite, Burgshrund was an excellent piece.) Anyhow, great job, Jimmy! Ice wasn't half bad either.

As far as feedback goes, I do wonder about the long tone at the end of Guardhouse. I don't have the score obviously, but if the time is 4/4, the monotone seems to last 6 measures (3 if I'm incorrect about the tempo) which seems a bit drawn out to me. But that's just my opinion of course. =)

stewboy said:

What program do you use? The only programs I have that can create midis are incapable of getting any midi sounds apart from the default set (like, I can't get the bass drum sound you used in Ice.)
Oh btw, I really like Guardhouse. Ice is cool too (no pun intended.)

I use Cakewalk Express 3.02. You won't be able to get it now, it's REALLY old. :P

If you want to access the extra drum banks, use a different instrument on Channel 10. 0 is standard, 16 is a power kit, 24 is an electronic kit, 25 is a TR-808, and 48 is a military drumkit. There are a few others (like 56) but are pretty useless for making drum patterns. Still, that hasn't stopped Hell Revealed II MAP12 from harnessing its maximum potential. :)

Death-Destiny said:

As far as feedback goes, I do wonder about the long tone at the end of Guardhouse. I don't have the score obviously, but if the time is 4/4, the monotone seems to last 6 measures (3 if I'm incorrect about the tempo) which seems a bit drawn out to me. But that's just my opinion of course. =)

This will change - I said they're not quite finished but I was told to upload them as they were anyway. My dad's quite enthusiastic about my stuff. :)

I'm listening your midis and I like your work. Show us more please !

The recent ones are extremely good. Props.
'Guard' sounds like 'Blood'.
'Ice' sounds like 'Doom'.

If you want to access the extra drum banks, use a different instrument on Channel 10. 0 is standard, 16 is a power kit, 24 is an electronic kit, 25 is a TR-808, and 48 is a military drumkit.

Wow, thank you SO much! I use Sibelius and it says nothing about extra drum banks, but it works anyway. Thanks again!
Are those the only drum banks?

8, 32 and 40 are different - and ones I didn't even know about.

They are Room, Jazz and Brush respectively. The only differences I can notice are that the snare, bass and side drums are slightly different for each.

Get Ready is OK but too repetitive, not enough variation. A suggestion is to change the instrument playing the tune every now and then, and add a drum rhythm at the same time.
ZDoom is good (that tune is really nice), but again, gets a bit repetitive in the latter half.
Please finish your other four tunes, they are all really good :)

Man The Big Bad Boss sounds like something I'd write. I like a lot of your stuff, "Get Ready" sounds like it would be good for an intermission area though rather than in-game.

Marvelous! I just noticed these, I'll give some a good home.

Oh please finish Strength in Numbers. It is the best one of them, at least what I have heard until I posted this. I simply love it. :)
If you don't finish it, I think I will just use as it is in this current state.

Get Ready is a MIDI "remix" of a tune from Death Rally, so the fact that it may be too repetitive isn't down to me, really. :P But it IS meant for an intermission screen.

@Ralphis: Yes, Big Bad Boss is very inspired by your work. I do love it. :P

@Torn: I plan on completing Strength fairly soon. I'm not sure I'd really like to have any of my incomplete music being used in your WAD(s) just yet, though... but in the long run, I don't mind, just that I'd appreciate it if you could hold out until I finish it. :) It is one of my personal best, I reckon - hence why I'll try and finish it as soon as possible.

TEN NEW MIDIs are up!
http://www.freewebs.com/j91doom/music.htm

Go check 'em out on the first page as I'm too lazy to link to all of them here. >P They are mostly less-than-half-minute-long "title" MIDIs that are well-suited to short intros/outros and above all else, Doom title screens. Use these however you want, though. :D