Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

offtopic - unreal ii physics

Nice, now picture that with real-time lighting. Epic licensed the Havok's engine, I wonder if id will pursue the same way or lend the entire physics code to MrElusive...

Wow, that looks real cool! This kind of object behavior adds absolutely to the feel of a game. Any chance that Id is going to implement any 3rd party software like Havok's? I doubt it. I guess that the licesing of their engine including 3rd party software is going to be to complicated.

Holy fucking Jebus. The guy swinging around with his right arm attached to the ceiling looks so cool I almost shat myself. Think "impaled marine guy".

I guess that the licesing of their engine including 3rd party software is going to be to complicated.

Remember Doom's sound engine? :)
For what Tim Willits said, it looks like DOOM will indeed sport some great physics. Remember all the fuzz about the "space-janitor" (to quote Flathead) being dragged by the pinkie in a realistic way? That could be a custom animation, but I'd like to think it's done in-engine (the jiggle not the pinkie biting the corpse, that's surely scripted).

They don't really need to license a 3rd party physics engine, just look at the stuff done in Severance and Hitman.

The rest of the movies and info, by the way, are at http://www1.giga.de/stories/0,1617,21486,00.html. The 'design' movie has some pretty interesting stuff in it, including cubic environment maps on the water that you can screw up by swimming trough. Really, really cool.

The 'editor' movie looks pretty cool, where a guy basically throws some high-res prefabs of arches and floors together in Lightwave and makes something cool-looking in minutes.

As John Carmack said in an interview to PC Gamer last year, "Cool things are coming."

Damn, I've been trying to get this video, but I'm not having much luck..Is there another link at all? Because I do want to see it.

FlatHead - if you wanna see a really cool physics demo, download this:

http://www.mathengine.com/Files/ActorDemoV101.exe

Zaldron - after countless times of asking Robert Duffy on Icq about whever they are licensing the physics engine from the likes of Havok or MathEngine, I finally managed to receive this small reply:

"R.Duffy(21:55 PM) :
we are not licensing anything"

While not really informative, certainly points towards id developing their own physics engine and not licensing from others.

I thought so. I guess Id will need some extra development time. Release date from Q4 2002 to Q3 2003 (probability 0.8).

It's a shame they do things like this inhouse (you cannot be great in all aspects of gamedesign)because it will cost you a lot of time to create something as mature as havok (or any other) physics engine.

I read somewhere - i think - that J.C. said that he was not in favor of building engines with the help of 3rd party components like:

- 3rd party AI
- 3rd party sound
- 3rd party physics
- 3rd party Rendering

Allthough they use 3rd party modeling tools!

Dima, maybe you should be a little more careful about sending all these mails and ICQ messages to developers. I managed to piss off Paul Jaquays before and believe me, it just doesn't feel right when someone you really respect (and, incidentally, is also a millionaire) gets pissed at you.

FlatHead - I exaggerated a bit when I said "countless times", it was only the second time, and the first time he actually received the message.

So it's not that I actually bother him or anything...

Though I will pay more attention to this in the future!

Thx guys!

Dima, maybe you should be a little more careful about sending all these mails and ICQ messages to developers. I managed to piss off Paul Jaquays before and believe me, it just doesn't feel right when someone you really respect (and, incidentally, is also a millionaire) gets pissed at you.

that has GOT to hurt :(

Nice, now picture that with real-time lighting. Epic licensed the Havok's engine, I wonder if id will pursue the same way or lend the entire physics code to MrElusive...

I think they''ll make their own.

Maonth - if I recall correctly, I already posted Duffy's reply on this where he clearly states that they are not licensing anything from anyone which could only mean one thing... and you know exactly what it is :)

They're not licensing anything because otherwise they have to pay royalties for licensing their own goddamn engine. Remember the old Dooms? Remember how the source code shipped without the sound engine because of license limitations?

id is well-known for powering lots of games with their engines. Adding third-party solutions will ruin things. I just don't know what's Epic doing with this Havok stuff, they probably had to pay the Big Money (tm) in order to acquire this open-ended license.