Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death-Destiny

What is your favorite DOOM 1 WAD and why?

I don't think this question has been posed yet. Not recently anyway.

Mine is currently Back to Basics because I loved the aesthetics in it.

I would agree with that. I wrote a raving review for B2B which is waiting to show up in the /nC.

Doomworld's 10years special points out some high quality episode replacements, mostly from the earliest years of pwad making. I'm pretty sure that there are also good megawads (replacing 3 or 4 episodes) but I can't find any right now. I also can't think of a single project for Ultimate Doom that uses modern port features - newschool projects tend to use the Doom 2 iwad.

Creaphis said:

I also can't think of a single project for Ultimate Doom that uses modern port features - newschool projects tend to use the Doom 2 iwad.

KDiZD? :P

Creaphis said:

I also can't think of a single project for Ultimate Doom that uses modern port features

P:AR

Well, they both had completely different goals, ran on engines that are polar opposites, and completely different bases (e1 modifications and additions vs. a completely original e2 episode), so I don't think B2B vs KDiZD is really a fair comparison...

Aliens TC is my favourit. Although, P:AR, Fava beans and Classic E2 are really good too.

esselfortium said:

Well, they both had completely different goals, ran on engines that are polar opposites, and completely different bases (e1 modifications and additions vs. a completely original e2 episode), so I don't think B2B vs KDiZD is really a fair comparison...

Well, it definitely isn't fair to say that "this one is better" but it is still possible to have a personal favourite. And I'm not sure what mine is.

well, I'd say KDIZD, as one that uses a source port, and aliens for one that doesn't.

The first Classic Episode (the original one that replaces E2M1-E2M9) and CH Retro were brilliant peices of work.

Janitor said:

definitely Dawn of the Dead. Best E1 replacement. ever. Here it is at /idgames I just loved it because of the Good E1 architecture. Good Gameplay.

I tend to disagree with Dawn of the Dead as an E1 style episode. While the first few maps resemble E1, some of the later maps are quite hellish. All 8 levels in this episode are brilliant, no doubt about it.

galaxia.wad, first wad I tried with new material in it years ago and it wasn't that bad in playing quality.

Crusades: Unholy War. The best work of Richard Wiles, and an inspirational masterpiece.

If only the original 3 episodes are allowed, then Phobos: Anomaly Reborn for architecture only, and CH Retro Episode for the overall "feel".