Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

What is Doom2 to you?

To me, I think Doom2 is like a 32-level megawad which some up-and-coming WAD designer(s)(id) did in about 1 week and then slapped onto a CD and then threw it in a box.
As megawads go, I would only give about 7.5 out of 10.
What about the rest of you?
What are your opinions on this matter?
As for me, I am still waiting for the real Doom2.

As for me, I am still waiting for the real Doom2.

It's out. It comes in a little box that says DOOM ][ on the front of it, and there's a marine with a buzzcut shooting at a cyberdemon.

People will say "it didn't deserve the term 'sequel'", and to a degree that's true, but I like it nonetheless. The maps were good, the new enemies were interesting without ruining the balance of the game, and the environment was a lot more surreal and enjoyable than Ultimate Doom's.

Doom 2 rules.

the environment was a lot more surreal and enjoyable than Ultimate Doom's.

That makes me wanna hate blind people.

[ on the front of it, and there's a marine with a buzzcut shooting at a cyberdemon.

That may be true, but i don't think it derserves the ][.

People will say "it didn't deserve the term 'sequel'", and to a degree that's true, but I like it nonetheless. The maps were good, the new enemies were interesting without ruining the balance of the game, and the environment was a lot more surreal and enjoyable than Ultimate Doom's.

Some of the maps were good, true, but only some. The new enemies, particularly the Arch Vile and Revenant, just ruined the fun of some of the levels for me. The new environments might have been surreal, yeah, but enjoyable? I think that's stretching it.

Doom 2 rules.

Whatever floats your boat, but I think Ultimate Doom kicks Doom2 ass, bar none.

What is Doom 2 to you?

A lousy excuse for a sequel, that's what.

Awww come on its not that fucking bad, in my opinion SOME of the levels needed work, but either than that it fucking ruled.

It also helps out Doom2 that 90% of the addons and WADs on the Net are available exclusively for Doom2.

What is Doom 2 to you?

A lousy excuse for a sequel, that's what.

Awww come on its not that fucking bad, in my opinion SOME of the levels needed work, but either than that it fucking ruled.

Thank you, Mac :p

DOOM II IS THE FUCKING BEST SEQUAL EVER!!%*()@ Why? The levels had the playability of a dead moose, but thats not the point, all the cool TCs are for DooM II.

dead moose

HOW DARE YOU!?!?!?!?!

How dare I? Well, I dared to dis a moose, and guess what? I ph33r not.

What?! I LOVED Doom II, The levels kicked arse! I loved some of the later levels like the courtyard, and the suburbs were fun. and I thought the early levels built the ambiance nicely. I was not disappointed the first time I played Doom II.

Of coarse it is going to look weak next to the mega wads that have come out now days, but jeez, we have been making them for almost 8 years now!

I'm so fucking tired of people dissing DOOM2. If you will fucking stop comparing what it was to what you actually expected from the sequel, and start looking at what DOOM2 actually had in comparison to DOOM. It had everything DOOM had, plus more. There's a damn reason to why 90% of the WADs are for DOOM2, because there's only so much you can do with pigs, cacodemons, and barons, without being boring and repetitive. The new DOOM2 monsters really added difficulty and interest to the game.

As for the design and the architecture, it's mostly a matter of opinion, so here's mine:

There's no doubt that the best WADs of today easily top the original DOOM2 levels, but IMO DOOM2 levels were generally better than those in UDOOM. Episode 1: halls, grey corridors, computer screens, toxic waste, barrels. Episode 2: shit knows what. Episode 3: Overall probably the best of the 4, so it's no surprise most think that it's the worst. Episode 4: More fucking grey metal walls.

DOOM2 varied more frequently between indoor and outdoor areas, and the levels were somewhat less depressing and repetitive.

So I'd say DOOM2 really deserves more credits than it gets.

Yep Doom2's the best. Agreed level design is not all that it could be, but it is important to remember the circumstances of its release, rushed out sequel,early days of map design,limited engine.Yes there's a purity of play to Doom1 but 2's more dynamic; more enemies,all good ones IMO and therefore more varied play,more to deal with.It's more Hellish!

I totally agree with Liam The bard. DOOM II is IMO the best DOOM game ever.

Of course, from a mapper's point of view ;)

It's not that the game is bad, it's just that it's nowhere as shocking as Doom was. Of course, no game will ever be because FPSs and 3D graphics are common stuff today, but it could've done a lot better.

It's not that the game is bad, it's just that it's nowhere as shocking as Doom was. [/quote]this is exactly right, i think. i've always found doom 2 enjoyable, it doesn't "get you" the way doom does, but is far from sucking.

I think it contributed more in terms of new monsters and, of course, the super-shotgun and some new textures than it did in terms of great maps, but let's just be grateful it was the same pretty much code-wise, which was a winning format, and still is.

I know what DooMBoy means about the Archvile and the Revenant, the trouble is they are used too frequently by some mappers who perhaps don't understand how difficult these two enemies are to defeat. I think the Archvile is the second most difficult moving enemy in the game. The Spiderdemon scares me little in comparison. An Archvile is fast, has an attack you can't avoid without hiding, and is has the fourth highest hit points after Baron of Hell. The revenant is fast and also has two effective forms of attack. Both should be used sparingly as a result, unless on UV, of course :)

But I don't think they ruined the game, they made it more of a challenge. I think Doom's bosses and characters were too easy originally, now it's gone the other way. People are crowding nine cyberdemons in a level these days, for fuck's sakes.

Look, Doom II didn't innovate anything, and therein lies the problem. Good sequels should improve upon their predecessors. The only thing I find majorly different between Doom II and Ultimate Doom is that there were new monsters. That's it. Doom III? Now that's a sequel...

How dare I? Well, I dared to dis a moose, and guess what? I ph33r not.

GRR!! I'll personally get the Big Double M to poop in your w33d brown135.

Doom 2 is my first experience of Doom, so it's special to me. Sure, the levels aren't up to par with the levels coming out years later, but the levels are pretty good, and I love them. I don't love them as much as Doom's but they're good. I love the extra enemies, and the Super Shotgun is a necessary element to the game ever since. I guess the only problems I have with Doom 2 is the cheezy final boss and the Chasm. I think it's worthy of being called a sequel.

I guess the only problems I have with Doom 2 is the cheezy final boss and the Chasm.

Yeah, man, I didn't even enjoy that final boss. It was more of a "Let's see how many things we can make you do all at once"-type level, which I absolutely abhor. After the ass-load of levels you had to complete beforehand, I'd say that the final boss of DooM II sucked...righteously...

Doom II is good, but not quite as good as UDoom. I agree with Pritch...the monsters they added are pretty damn tough, but level designers tend to put them all over the place. The original Doom seemed to flow a lot more nicely.

The Doom2 monsters are really cool, especially the revenant and arch-vile. Level design is a little better in Udoom. SSG is also a cool weapon which allows for more violent maps. All in all, I'd say that the 2 games are about equally good with doom2 being a lot better for map/mod/TC makers.

I think the Archvile is the second most difficult moving enemy in the game. The Spiderdemon scares me little in comparison. An Archvile is fast, has an attack you can't avoid without hiding, and is has the fourth highest hit points after Baron of Hell.

You would LOVE Plutonia map11 :)

Arch-vile difficulty depends a lot on placement, it can be used as a normal enemy, often by itself or in pairs. Then the difficulty could vary from easy if you can hide somewhere it cant reach to very hard/cheesy if you have to fight it in an open field.

It could also be used well in a monster mix where it's usually harder the more narrow the passage and the bigger the monsters, an arch-vile behind 5 mancubi in a narrow corridor can be a pain.

I think the Archvile is the second most difficult moving enemy in the game. The Spiderdemon scares me little in comparison. An Archvile is fast, has an attack you can't avoid without hiding, and is has the fourth highest hit points after Baron of Hell.

You would LOVE Plutonia map11 :)

heh, I have beaten it only once (UV).