Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Untitled - Beta

I actually finished this in September last year and wasn't going to release it... mostly because I hate doing the gameplay balances. But since Newstuff is going through a revival right now I thought I'd get off my ass and finish it.

Download WAD here:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/594f42aa-8fa6-4ec4-83c6-9b71e3ae9675/untitled
Download Texture WAD here:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/de5db3bb-6b57-4bb4-9ff2-da419197f4d8/q1tex

To play the level you need to run the texture wad alongside it as I haven't yet learned to merge them into the one wad. The command line should be:

zdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file untitled.wad q1tex.wad

This map is for ZDoom, however there is currently a bug in the wad were wall textures set for ceiling/floor textures makes ZDoom for some reason give an animated random display of standard Doom textures (at least it does on my ZDoom client). If anyone can figure this one out, let me know.

Please give opinions on the gameplay balance of health and ammo and any other bugs/suggestions.

==================================================================

Here is a preview of a map which I also just about finished in September last year and I should hopefully get it done within the month.

The screens look attractive. I like the way you used the support beams in the first few shots.

Edited opening post to fix the url for the texture wad. Pretty sure I uploaded the older one that I used... if it even makes a difference.

This looks pretty cool from the screenshots, but I beg of you not to upload Doom Builder 3D mode shots of a map again. It's the easiest way in the world to make a good-looking level look horrible. Non-doomy lighting, torches encased in cyan blocks, and f_sky1...

Ingame shots to show what it looks like in the intended engine (preferably not using hi-res texture replacements or anything like that unless the map is specifically made to use it) will do a much better job of showing off your work.

Just played it out. For me, the map had very solid progression and interesting gameplay. I got beat up pretty good on UV, heh. I spotted some unaligned brick textures that are on the stairs in the little chapel area near the blue key. Nice work and effort on this one.

The architecture is A1 but I found the gameplay a bit frustrating ... even on Easy ! I thought there was not enough ammo and health ... and the cyberdemon battle at the end quite unfair.

Did anybody experience the ceiling texture error I mentioned? If you didn't notice that means it didn't show up.

KennyJC said:

This map is for ZDoom, however there is currently a bug in the wad were wall textures set for ceiling/floor textures makes ZDoom for some reason give an animated random display of standard Doom textures (at least it does on my ZDoom client). If anyone can figure this one out, let me know.

This normally means that one animation in there references an improper texture that actually exists but is not supposed to animated. The most frequent reason for this is that one texture of an animation is redefined but the other is not.

It's also possible that one patch is named like an animated texture.

Both of these have been fixed in the mean time so if you get one of the latest builds it should work as intended.

It would be cool if you could get some ingame screenies. I had to load it into DoomBuilder to actualy be able to testplay it. The level is quite nice.

KennyJC, I've played your map and here's some thoughts.

I liked the architecture and the lighting. I though the gameplay wasn't too bad either. The secret areas were also fun to find. There are only a few things that could be improved IMO. Firstly, the acid pits around the yellow key and the one you jump over to get the chainsaw are both inescapable, but aren't hazardous, so you have to IDCLIP out. =( I'd both make them do damage and put a teleport in them. I don't think it would be fun to misstep and fall in and have to start over. As far as the Cyb fight goes, it was interesting, but the solution wasn't necessarily intuitive. The way I figured, you had to time your dodges into the teleports so that the rocket wouldn't be heading to your destination before you could react. Perhaps making the distance from the Cyb a bit greater or making the ledges a bit more spacous would make this fight a bit less awkward.

Otherwise, everything else I saw was very nice. Excellent job, KennyJC. I hope to see more from you. =)

Remiel said:

If you read my post again, those terms were based on deathzor doing newstuff reviews, but since that wanker is no longer doing newstuff reviews and other more competant people are, then I will contribute. I was always planning to release the levels I did, but if it was still that prick doing newstuff I wouldn't have given permission for him to include it in newstuff.

KennyJC said:

If you read my post again, those terms were based on deathzor doing newstuff reviews, but since that wanker is no longer doing newstuff reviews and other more competant people are, then I will contribute. I was always planning to release the levels I did, but if it was still that prick doing newstuff I wouldn't have given permission for him to include it in newstuff.

Creaphis said:

You're a jackass.

I tend to agree with KennyJC. Deathzor practically hated everything. His "reviews" were just lists of systematically insulting/bashing all the WADs in newstuff. If you made something he genuinely liked, you might as well win a cacoward. =/

It's people like Deathzor why I'm not inclined to upload anything to the archive. The only reason I was a fan of him was because he did an entertaining job at dissing everything and used a lot of funny catch phrases, so it was fun reading his words.

Death-Destiny said:

I tend to agree with KennyJC. Deathzor practically hated everything. His "reviews" were just lists of systematically insulting/bashing all the WADs in newstuff. If you made something he genuinely liked, you might as well win a cacoward. =/

It's people like Deathzor why I'm not inclined to upload anything to the archive. The only reason I was a fan of him was because he did an entertaining job at dissing everything and used a lot of funny catch phrases, so it was fun reading his words.

Seriously? There are plenty of positive reviews of good wads in the newstuff thread Remiel linked to.

It wasn't even his reviews that pissed me off, it was the fact that you have dozens of people submitting wads and lots of them are slipping through the net because he can not find 5 minutes out of a week to check the incoming folder. Then when he reviews my wad he goes into a tirade about how it's not his fault and that I should not be such a primadonna to bring his incompetance to everybodies attention.

Death-Destiny said:

I would be a lie on my part to say you're not correct, but "reviews" like these did not impress me: http://www.doomworld.com/php/topstory.php?id=2912

A short, harsh review is completely fair for a short, crappy level. Even these reviews still give the reader an impression of which new wads are worth playing, which is what the /newstuff Chronicles are for. Also, Deathz0r is generally familiar with the previous work of each mapper. If he's given more lengthy advice for improvement in the past, and it's apparently been ignored, he is under no obligation to repeat it.

KennyJC said:

It wasn't even his reviews that pissed me off, it was the fact that you have dozens of people submitting wads and lots of them are slipping through the net because he can not find 5 minutes out of a week to check the incoming folder. Then when he reviews my wad he goes into a tirade about how it's not his fault and that I should not be such a primadonna to bring his incompetance to everybodies attention.

"Lots" of maps are slipping through the net? Three isn't "lots." Also, the other author with maps that Deathz0r missed just calmly pointed this fact out to Deathz0r, and Deathz0r apologized and fairly reviewed those maps. When your map was missed you clearly chose to throw an immature tantrum instead, so Deathz0r was forced to respond in kind.

Also, Deathz0r spent far more than 5 minutes per week performing this thankless service for free.

You're a jackass.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

You used alot of interesting geometry there. I like the support beams in the first couple of shots, too. Good job!

Creaphis said:
"Lots" of maps are slipping through the net? Three isn't "lots."

Where are you getting this figure from? If he couldn't even find the time to get my map and others that were in the folder a full week then 3 seems like a very conservative number. Especially when you considered there were months between each newstuff.

Also, the other author with maps that Deathz0r missed just calmly pointed this fact out to Deathz0r, and Deathz0r apologized and fairly reviewed those maps. When your map was missed you clearly chose to throw an immature tantrum instead, so Deathz0r was forced to respond in kind.

Well the status quo (including yourself apparently) were clearly happy with the crap Deathzor put fourth. I wasn't, because the newstuff was shit. X amoung of months between newstuffs with missing maps and shit reviews. This despite the fact other more competant people were constantly saying they could contribute and they weren't given a chance. Gladly, things have changed.

Also, Deathz0r spent far more than 5 minutes per week performing this thankless service for free.

Well I have personal experience that this statement is complete bullshit.

You're a jackass.

And yet, I'm right. I have a low tolerance for bullshit so I call a spade a spade.

COULD WE POSSIBLY GET BACK ON TOPIC? FUCK'S SAKE. This is supposed to be about the map, not the /newstuff community drama.

The map looks good from the screens. I don't have time to test it at the moment.

Well, IMO, the only thing going for Deathzor was that he did indeed do his job (until he became unreliable) and got a lot of things "reviewed." However, that was before we had this more efficient system that allows anyone to do it.

As for the "reviews" themselves:
Point A - "Way to waste my time and bandwidth, asshole." is not a review in any way, shape, or form. A blunt insult more like.
Point B - Even if you could count that as a poor quality review, which you can't, how is calling the author an asshole relevant to the review in any way? Please do tell.
Point C - I can understand being harsh if the author was being lazy or stupid, since Deathzor was obligated at that point to analyze the WAD. However, for the rest of us that actually put effort into our work, but aren't as talented, the least such people deserve is a respectful, constructive review. Deathzor went too far with running his mouth.

Since Deathzor disses almost literally everything, I didn't find his "reviews" at all indicative of what the WADs were actually like. It's no wonder people who actually try but aren't exceptional mappers have no desire to upload anything. Letting Deathzor "review" (i.e. insult) your work is like paying someone to beat you up... no sense to it at all.

Now, I know you people are trying to defend Deathzor's honor, but be for real with me. I don't know how many of you've had him "review" your stuff, but would you/do you really respect him spewing that BS at everything you put your effort into? I'm sorry that Deathzor isn't my idol like some of you, but you're going to have to prove the me that he was exceptional at anything other than offending people. =/

I love how this thread devolved into a bitch session about me

ps. I'm still doing /newstuff reviews and was asked by Bloodshedder to contribute to the new system

i love it when deat flames my stuff it's great to be honored with a FUCK YOU SHITTY WAD from deat maybe you should stop whining and learn to love it

Okay fine, you all win. Just let me offer a few remarks before I let this thread return to what it's supposed to be about. I shouldn't have derailed it, but I'm a jackass too.

1. Aside from Kenny JC's map and two others in that same edition of the /newstuff Chronicles, I haven't heard of any other maps that were accidentally missed - I certainly haven't ever seen other drama over this. Now, there may have been other wads missed in the previous system, but it's not my job to prove that there aren't. The onus is on you to show that this was really a more regular occurrence than three incidents. I acknowledge that it's a problem if any wads at all are skipped over but this just never struck me as widespread a problem as you consider it to be.

2. Bloodshedder has stated that other reviewers were given the chance to write /newstuff, but these almost always failed to live up to their promises. Deathz0r really was the only person willing to do the job for some time.

3. Deathz0r definitely spent more than 5 minutes per week on the Chronicles - on average. Even if a week was missed, it's not like it takes less than 20 minutes to review a month's worth of wads. That would be some playing and writing speed.

4. If someone fails to check the /newstuff folder for a week he can catch up here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=filename&word=zip&sort=time&order=desc&page=1

5. The worst Deathz0r reviews still always state or imply the basic points that a review should include: How enjoyable is the gameplay? How good does it look? Is a download recommended? However, sometimes all these three things can be stated with a single four-letter word. When a wad deserved a longer review he wrote one - and acceptably well, I could add. I've seen far poorer grasps of the English language; this is the internet, after all.

6. Deathz0r was capable of distinguishing between the shoddy work of a brand new mapper and the crap of old mappers who refuse to improve. Wads of the first category didn't garner as many insults as you think they did.

7. The /newstuff Chronicles are meant more for map players than map makers. If new mappers want constructive criticism there are more appropriate places to look: forums, the reviews in Doomworld's front end, etc. A reviewer will look at your new map and will declare it a bad map if that's what it is. He doesn't have to say why in extensive detail.

I hope I haven't gotten anybody mad again; that's wasn't my intention. Obviously the new system is way, way better. I'm not arguing that. This gets rid of the huge, irritating delays between editions, this allows a wider range of voices to get through, this has increased the average review length (and admittedly, the quality). Many wads under Deathz0r's reign weren't discussed as thoroughly as they could have been. Many map authors' feelings were hurt unnecessarily. But, here's the point that I'll defend forever: Deathz0r doesn't deserve the shit he gets. If he insulted mappers for a few bad maps, how is insulting him for a few bad reviews any better?

Creaphis said:

Many map authors' feelings were hurt unnecessarily.

Those map authors probably shouldn't have wandered outside DeviantART in the first place.

Creaphis said:

Deathz0r doesn't deserve the shit he gets.

You're right. Even if I wasn't overly fond of Deathzor's reviews, he did do it for a while even though he got nothing in return. In any case, since we have a new system that allows anyone to review WADs, this whole train of thought is irrelavent. Sorry everyone for perpetuating an off-topic conversation.