Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nemark

Which Doom editing book is better?

"Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus" or "3D Game Alchemy"? I ask this because I've heard that the Alchemy book is just a reissue of the Guru book but there's over 100 pages missing. Also, are there any differences between the CDs that come with the books as well?

I know where to find them. I just wanna know if there's any major differences between the two. Is the Alchemy book a reissue of the Guru book? Or are they completely different books?

Both books are authored by Steve Bemmer so a certain ammount of copy/paste is to be expected in 3D Game Alchemy. An extra 110 pages has been added to the main chapter "Creating Your Own Doom" - much of which probably relates to Hexen. The newer books smaller size is the result of trimming 210 pages from the chapter that explains how to use the editing tools.

GreyGhost said:

The newer books smaller size is the result of trimming 210 pages from the chapter that explains how to use the editing tools.

All those pages did was basically copy text from the help files that came with the applications anyway. So they weren't very useful.

Anyway, I can't really answer the original question, as I only have Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus.