Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mordeth

Some suggestions

So I finally switched from Deep97/sea to the latest Doombuilder. Here's some stuff I'd rather see tweaked:

1) When moving parts of a level around, DB tends to stitch vertices that are close together (but still greater than the minimum distance given in the menu options). It shouldn't do that, or at least ask. I'm aware that there's an option to (not) stitch vertices, but I don't want to disable/enable it everytime I want to move stuff around. A menu option for this would be nice ('always', 'never', 'ask').

2) When drawing a linedef across a sector, DB automatically creates a new sector. In 90% of those cases I don't want that to happen. A menu option for this would be nice ('always', 'never', 'ask').

3) A shortcut key that allows me to introduce a new vertex when in linedef mode.

4) Show the outline of Things when not in Thing mode.

5) Show the meaning of flags in the view pane, so I can instantly see on mouseover what a Thing's or linedef properties are without having to edit them. So far the flagnumber itself is shown, so why not what it means.

Apart from this, DB is very nice to edit with. Keep up the good work!

Sure will consider it. Though, I will never ask the user anything during normal edit operations because I think a dialog box interrupts a user's flow of editing. Those messages dialogs are already an annoyance on their own :P I will probably make a 3-state option for merging geometry such as:

- Merge when within configured range
- Merge only when exactly overlapping
- Do not merge

The behaviour of Doom Builder 1 with line drawing is that if you draw a line across a sector and it is on both sides connected to the sector's lines, it will split the sector. However, if you draw a line inside a sector and do not connect it to the sector's lines, it will not make a new sector, the line will just be a "useless" line inside the sector.

CodeImp said:
Though, I will never ask the user anything during normal edit operations because I think a dialog box interrupts a user's flow of editing.

Which I agree with, but that's not what I was suggesting. I mean a menu option which you check once during initial DB setup: (1) always do X (without popup window); (2) never do X (without popup window); or (3) always show popup window asking if to do X. That way your user can determine how he would like X to be handled.

But because option 3 (ask what to do) is generally considered to be more an annoyance than a help (mostly because of the popup interruption, but also because the user can switch between 1 and 2), it makes it a useless feature. That leaves us with just the options 1 (do it) and 2 (don't do it), and because I can understand you sometimes want to change this, I make it a button on the toolbar so it is most easy to access. Does this sound so unreasonable?

I think you should know that drawing and dragging in Doom Builder 2 has changed a bit. While dragging/drawing, you can use SHIFT as a modifier key to change the snap-to-grid behaviour and CONTROL as a modifier keys to change the snap-to-nearest behaviour.

The snap-to-grid behaviour is obvious: when it is ON, the geometry dragged or drawn snaps to the grid. (While dragging, this is done with the anchor vertex which is the nearest vertex when dragging started, all other dragged geometry is kept relative to this anchor)

The snap-to-nearest behaviour snaps the geometry that is dragged or the vertex being drawn to the nearest vertex or line. When this is used, it will merge the geometry.

Not only can these be modified by holding SHIFT and/or CONTROL pressed during the operation, their default state can also be toggled with a button on the toolbar.

I thought you should know this as it may change you perspective on this matter and perhaps satisfy or change your suggestions.

Hey, to jump on this quickly, one feature that SLADE has which I really like is the "Hide iWad Textures" option.

Mordeth I would like your response. Or maybe you want to play around with the next alpha version so you can feel how it works and make suggestions then?

CodeImp said:
Or maybe you want to play around with the next alpha version so you can feel how it works and make suggestions then?

Hey. As long as I can get DB to do what I want without fussy keyboard combinations, I'm happy. Generally: the easier access to a feature, the easier I can see information, the better.

I can play around with the alpha version if you want.

CodeImp, I have only one suggestion(everything else in DB is perfect):
Can you make function "Edit:move mode(quick)" assignable to mouse buttons?
I tried to assign it to Mouse3, but it`s not working..

Mordeth: Communicating doesn't work so well when I have to wait weeks for a reply. I have sent you an email (to your doomworld.com account) and have not received a reply yet. Did it get lost in a spam filter you might have?

Wraith: That will be possible in DB2.

How can I prevent db1 from using the default textures, I want no textures at all when adding sectors.How do I set this up in the configuration menu, I remove them but as soon as I add one sector it starts to use the default textures again.

No. It is very unusual that you want a sector with no texture at all (MISSING textures) so DB intuitively tries to pick textures from neighboring sectors. If you want no textures at all, you will just have to remove the textures after drawing the sector.

I predict the next post will be someone asking that new drawn sectors will automatically have 3 pillars and a window in it, because he needs his room like that. :P

Janitor said:

Hey, to jump on this quickly, one feature that SLADE has which I really like is the "Hide iWad Textures" option.

Yay it would be nice on DB !

CodeImp said:
Mordeth: Communicating doesn't work so well when I have to wait weeks for a reply.

Sorry, did't see you replying to that thread before that. Emailing my DW account doesn't help; due to the massive amounts of spam I hardly ever check it anymore.

I've sent you an email, use that addy instead.

dutch devil said:

How can I prevent db1 from using the default textures, I want no textures at all when adding sectors.How do I set this up in the configuration menu, I remove them but as soon as I add one sector it starts to use the default textures again.

Put a "-" (without the quotes) in the default boxes. This is what Doom Builder uses when there is no texture present on a line.

Wouldn't "no textures" mean HOMs in the game? If you want to see a bare map before texturing it, define simple one-color (97 or 255 seem reasonable) textures and flats as the defaults.

dutch devil said:

I tried allready doesn't work.

That's strange, it's always worked fine for me. *shrugs*