Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jobro

Music you listen to

The music I listen to doesn't fit in with doom. The music I listen to gives me energy in the morning before I go to school. Doom doesn't really have much energy, it's really consistent and just kinda flows at a constant speed. I think the original Doom music accurately subsides with that speed.

I'm have a few soundcards in one PC and just constantly change synthesizer that playin doom MIDIes a little in different way: OPL FM; AWE EMU8k; AWE with custom soundfont banks; Sound Canvas; GUS. When tired of original soundtrack i put my favorite bands CDs:

Throbbing Gristle
Chris & Cosey
Coil
Psychic TV
SPK
Mentallo & The Fixer
FLA
Front 242
Skinny Puppy
Scorn
Maeror Tri
Troum
MZ412
Brighter Death Now
Monolith
Cabaret Voltaire
Haujobb

And many others industrial collectives.

If I'm doing quick tests of maps in progress or taking a peek at something I might want to play later, I just let the winamp playlist continue and run the games with -nomusic and occasionally -nosound.

If I want to get into it, then in most cases I'll let the default game music play.

I do have some specific preferences for specific WADs though.

Suspended In Dusk - Leviathan ST by Jerry Goldsmith (tracks 02 03 05 07 09 and 10 in loop)
Eternal Doom IV demo (especially map27) - The Da Vinci Code ST by Hans Zimmer (occasionally skipping the bonus interlude and the first track as track 02 is the perfect intro for map27)
Back 2 Basics - The Thing ST by Ennio Morricone
Asylum Of The Wretched - The Ring/Ring Two STs by Hans Zimmer
KDiZD - Alien Resurrection ST by John Frizzell or random Don Davis selections from The Matrix trilogy (somehow the 'chaotic noise' factor in those albums aligns with the 'chaotic detail' factor of the maps in an eerily symbiotic way)

Other stuff that often makes its way on the playlist is anything from the Alien series, Event Horizon, The Rock, some of the Goldsmith Star Trek (especially First Contact), Flightplan, and the occasional selections from Scatman Crothers.

c.imp said:
Maeror Tri
Brighter Death Now
Cabaret Voltaire

Fine selections!

I like nearly every type of music (since I'm a musician and songwriter myself), except: modern day pop/hip hop, country (except Johnny Cash), hardcore music that's nothing but screaming, and techno. My favorite band is ,hands down, The Beatles.

As for listing to music for a wad with no new tunes, I'd say Pink Floyd, or Led Zeppelin would work great. The Wall, by PF has a dark atmosphere in most songs and helps set the mood for a level where you're getting ambushed by demons in an eerie temple or cavern.

pizzabob18 said:

hardcore music that's nothing but screaming

Hardcore music does infact involve more than just screaming
Doesn't save modern hardcore from being shit though

The Beatles
Mr. Bungle
Status Quo
Charlie Parker
Dizzy Gillespie
Charles Mingus
John Coltrane
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Snake Davis
Cannonball Adderley
Prince Buster
Marc Seales
Danny Gatton
Kenny G
Many More.

They are all awesome. Not a word against them.

Pizza Bob, I like your thinking. The Beatles rock.
"When I get older losing my hair, many years from now, will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings bottles of wine? If I stayed out til quarter to three, would you lock the door? Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64..."

I usually just listen to the in-game music. Sometimes, online, I'll listen to my own playlist, which usually consists of HOVY MODOL and some other stuff.

*Points to avatar* Yeah.

Lamb of God
Cannibal Corpse
Pantera
Mr. Bungle
Dillenger Escape Plan
3 Inches of Blood
Nine Inch Nails
TOOL
Nights Like These
Danzig
R.A.T.M.
Anal Cunt
Unearth
Killswitch Engage(Old and New)
As I lay Dying
Flogging Molly
It Dies Today
Into The Moat
Dio
Iron Maiden
Phantasmo
All that Remains
Alice in Chains
Temple of the Dog
Soundgarden
Ion Dissonance
Norma Jean

A good mix of brutal death metal, satanic black metal, and raw thrash metal with a little metalcore(Killswitch Engage, early Avenged Sevenfold) mixed in does wonders.
Ninja edit: heh, forgot I already posted in this thread. Oh well.

Jim Rainer said:

A good mix of brutal death metal, satanic black metal, and raw thrash metal with a little metalcore(Killswitch Engage, early Avenged Sevenfold) mixed in does wonders.
Ninja edit: heh, forgot I already posted in this thread. Oh well.

Yeah,I tend to stay in the metal area.I like classic rock too but some of it doesnt fit too well with doom.I have to get something with a constant rythym.

I dont like much of Avenged sevenfold.City of evil sucked but waking the fallen was my favorite.And the fact that killswitch did a cover of Holy Diver put them up there on my all time favorites.

Psycho Siggi said:

I'm guilty of compiling a list of oggs created from the Hell Revealed 2 midis using timidity and eawpats, and then listening to that while playing other Doom levels. (ie, not from hr2).

Wasn't intentional the first time it happened, but it proved to have an interesting effect on the feel of the levels I was playing.

same here. i like hrmus.wad and reqmus.wad, especially map 5 and 6 from hell revealed i think, and if the wad i'm playing doesn't have a decent replacement for the standard tracks.

I like most of the music from hrmus.wad and hr2final.wad.

Final Doom: TNT has long been my favorite music though.

Sometimes I even prefer listening to MIDI than MP3 - They always seem to be faster, louder and heavier.

I put together some burned CD's for playing Doom a long while back. Iirc, they had stuff by

Judas Priest
Bruce Dickinson
Rammstein
Annihilator
Metallica
Kreator
Overkill
Ministry
KMFDM
Stratovarius
Testament

Eventually, I'll be ripping a bunch of .ogg's for use with EDGE, though. the CD's really are a pain in the ass.

Doom:
Anything by TawmDee, Essel or Xaser. Sonic Clang and Thumpmonk also.

Non-Doom:
Nightwish, Yngwie Malmsteen, Black Sabbath, Scatman John, Juno Reactor, Project Chaos.

At least, that's all the stuff in my Media Player. :P

And of course, video game music, MP3 (from Galbadia Hotel) and MIDI (from VGMusic). Aaaaaand other random Modarchive tunes.

Jimmy91 said:

Doom:
Anything by TawmDee

Hah, since when did I make anything worth listening to?

EDIT: also omgwtf bashe likes Razor? Razor are fucking awesome. One of the best thrash bands evar.

Yeah, I like metal of any kind. ANY KIND.
Fuck, even deathcore is ok.

TawmDee said:

Hah, since when did I make anything worth listening to?

Since CIF3? Seriously, man...Ride To Hell's gotta be my favorite metal tune ever. :D I don't listen to a LOT of metal, granted, (see my above preferences) but it's by far the best I know.

Jimmy91 said:

Aaaaaand other random Modarchive tunes.

Do you have any recommendations (songs or artists)?

I tend to browse the highest rated of my favorite genres, or just the highest rated of all time. :P DEADLOCK.XM was one of the all-time tops on the site at one point, and it gets a big thumbs-up from me. :D

For absolutely anything, you can't really go wrong with Xaser. Go ahead and download EVERYTHING by him, it's all well-worth the wait. :) He has some personal recommendations on his user page; off the top of my head I can recall Atlas Rising, Nosotros, Kronos Anomaly and Interrupt this Program to be some of his personally considered best.

If you're a fan of Death Rally, Unreal or Unreal ][, look up Purple Motion and Skaven, all of their tracks are on there as well, some of the best synth tunes I've ever heard. 2ND_PM.s3m is just one of his super-great-awesome ones.

For metal, betrayer does some awesome work. If you're interested in the style of CIF3's tracks by TawmDee he has some good stuff on there, as does TawmDee himself. :P

On the topic of modarchive, if you like jazzy-type tunes, I recommend Necros. Almost all of his modules are very good.

TawmDee said:

EDIT: also omgwtf bashe likes Razor? Razor are fucking awesome. One of the best thrash bands evar.

srsly, thy r so gewd, thy hav liek fast sngs and itz kuul

SHOTGUN JUSTICE

Jimmy, Stewboy: Awesome, thanks! I'll be sure to check these out. I actually have all of Xaser's stuff and love it. AgentSpork has pointed me to Skaven before but I never got around to listening to his music (aside from the Bejeweled 2 songs, heh).

I'd recommend:
Minomus
The Deviant
Mortimer Twang (he's not on modarchive it seems but he made some really nice dnb mods)
Tarantula
Dan Nyman/Area 51
Sidewinder

Minomus is one of my favorite artists ever (there are only a few of his mod songs I don't like). He has some post-modarchive mp3's that can be found here or here.
I haven't listened to most of Tarantula's stuff much, but Single Teardrop and (FromOutOfNothing)Up (which you might recognize) are awesome imo.
Same goes for the other two guys; I only know a few of Dan Nyman's songs (atlantis, area 51) and as far as I remember, the only ones of Sidewinder's that I really like are Advent and Alacazabra.

Edit: Oh cool, I didn't realize Necros did Ascent of the Cloud Eagle. I love that song :D It was also in Massmouth 2.

Tango said:

Edit: Oh cool, I didn't realize Necros did Ascent of the Cloud Eagle. I love that song :D It was also in Massmouth 2.

He also did 'Mechanism Eight', also in Massmouth 2. Also funny you mention Mortimer Twang, as I'd never heard of him, except for one tune in SuperTux called 'Mortimer's chipdisko'. Funny how you hear these tunes in games, and then suddenly you find out who made them, and that they made other tunes you know too. For example, Necros did map01's music in tlsxctf, if you know of it.

Michael Jackson (this is an absolutely wonderful experience with Doom)
Norther
Daikatana Soundtrack
Debbie Deb
Tupac (pre-death or Eminem's 2004 album of him)
Rob Dougan
The Darkness
White Zombie (pre-Rob Zombie)
Queen

Tango said:

Skaven's "Data Jack" was also in Massmouth 2. :D I love all of his work.

Stewboy: A few of Mortimer Twang's songs are used in one of Spunkman's deathmatch wads (dream deathmatch/drdm.wad). I don't remember which map is map01 of that ctf wad, however that wad also used a song by Minomus + The Deviant (Stardust & Sparkles).
I think I recognize Necros' Martian Lovesong from Nimrod: PD, too, but I'd have to double check.

Jimmy: Was that the one on the city level? That song is used in a Palm OS version of Bejeweled. It's funny because I was playing Bejeweled a lot at the time that I played Massmouth 2, so I recognized that song instantly :P --EDIT-- Yeah that's the one. This song is awesome :D

And yeah it's crazy how we know some of these songs one way or another. :p

EDIT: Jimmy, I actually have already heard Purple Motion's Astraying Voyages from a few years ago when I started downloading mods in alphabetical order. That's a great song :)

EDIT: Skaven's Razorback (Unreal Mix) was used in Virgil the Doom Poet's The Last Seraphim wad.

I can listen to anything when I'm playing Doom: metal, repetitive, rock, jazz, progressive... even if I prefer repetitive music (Eno).