Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkreaver

Cracks between walls?

Hello.

Im totally new to Doom mapping, but I find it very fun, and Ive started on my first map ever, using DB. Everything has gone perfectly without problems, until now.

I add a sky texture to the ceiling flats in some sectors, but then this happens:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8424/wallproblemuq9.jpg

(sorry, I know its dark)

I can kind of see the sky texture through the slim cracks between the walls. Its like the walls arent...hmmm...how to put this...closed/connected to each other..you see?

I just cant find a solution, but then again Im a noob =)

So Im hoping from some help from you leet mapping demons lol.

I uploaded my map here, just in case:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6ln94u

ps: I use the doom2.wad, and the Legacy port

EDIT: I just noticed that I havent added the sky texture in the wad I uploaded. But the intention was to add the sky texture in all those small square sectors to the top-right of the map

EDIT 2: And dont mind the ammo/health/weapon/monsters balance. The map isnt done.

yet another edit: Just thought I could ask this question in the same thread: When I open up the automap while playing, walls are red lines, and doors are yellow (or the color of the key) lines. How do I get "secret" doors or "suprise" doors to be red so that they look like any other wall on the map? Is this possible?

This is not a Doom Builder problem, or is it a map problem. It's a source port+graphics card problem (in case anyone is curious, I already checked his wad for sector errors, there aren't any). Legacy's OpenGL renderer is old and "not very good", to put it rather nicely.

This has actually always been at that spot in your wad (and other places as well I'm sure); the only reason you didn't notice it before was because there was no bright sky to draw behind it to make it show up so well.

As the Legacy team has moved on to working on Legacy 2 (so your SOL as far as getting anything done on this), your only option is to switch to a different source port with a better OpenGL renderer that handles this better.

Now I know that you're testing your wad in Legacy, are you planning on using any of it's unique features? Looking at your wad, so far you're only using Boom stuff.

If you do plan on using Legacy features, then you can switch to a source port called GZDoom (available here), which supports just about every Legacy mapping feature there is. You'll have to switch the renderer from speed to quality to get rid of the cracks, however.

If you only plan on sticking to Boom stuff, then you could instead use a source port called PRBoom+ (available here).

darkreaver said:

When I open up the automap while playing, walls are red lines, and doors are yellow (or the color of the key) lines. How do I get "secret" doors or "suprise" doors to be red so that they look like any other wall on the map? Is this possible?

Right click on the desired linedef, and in the "Properties" tab, under "Flags", look for "Secret", tick the box next to this, and that line will appear red on the automap (when seen).

Thanks for helping out!

I dont think Im going to use any Leagcy-specific stuff (at least not for now), so Ill try out another port! Its just that I started out by using Legacy a long time ago, and I didnt bother checking out any other ports, since it worked just fine for my use (single player and co-op).

But I guess the time has come for checking out some other stuff.

Thanks again!