Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghastly

RoE monster pack - Doom 3 monsters in Doom 2

This is a pack dedicated to recreating the Doom 3 monsters into ZDoom. The ZDoom versions will emulate the original's behaviour and look as closely as possible within reason, without making them too easy. The monsters will be able to be used in any ZDoom mod (might not be compatible with other ports), as long as credit is given (to any who contributed to the monsters used). Any resources used to create this pack are fully credited to the best of my knowledge.

Since this is basically my second post on the Doomworld forums, I should say that I've been around the Skulltag and ZDoom forums for the past year and a half, and have gotten very good with Decorate. The Mancubus, Imp, Shotgun ZSec, Machinegun ZSec and Pistol ZSec are already done, and the code for the Trite and most zombies are done as well.

Unfortunately, though, while I can make the Decorate, dynamic lights, decals and things like that, I can't edit or make sprites to save my life, and there are a lot of monsters that need sprites.

Progress:

Zombie Civilian1: 20% (Code)
Zombie Civilian2: 20% (Code)
Zombie Civilian3: 20% (Code)
Hazmat Zombie: 20% (Code)
Flaming Zombie: 20% (Code)
Hell Zombie: 20% (Code)
Fat Zombie: 20% (Code)
Chainsaw Zombie: 0%
ZSec (Pistol): 99% (I'm redoing the sprites)
ZSec (Shotgun): 100%
ZSec (Machinegun): 100%
ZSec (Pistol/Shield): 0%
Zombie Commando: 0%
Zombie Commando (Chaingun): 0%

Trite: 100%
Tick: 0%
Lost Soul: 0%
Forgotten One: 100%
Cherub: 0%
Vulgar: 0%
Imp: 100% (PrznDoom's redoing the sprites)
Maggot: 0%
Wraith: 40% (Code)
Pinky: 0%

Mancubus: 100%
Cacodemon: 100%
Revenant: 80% (Code)
Archvile: 50%
Hell Knight: 0%
Bruiser: 0%

Vagary: 0%
Helltime Hunter: 0%
Berzerk Hunter: 0%
Invul Hunter: 0%
Sabaoth: 0%
Guardian: 0% (Seekers: 0%)
Cyberdemon: 0%
Maledict: 0%
Sprites:
Zombie Civilian 1/2/3: D2.5 version needs slight editing to the clothing
Fat/Hazmat/Flaming/Hell Zombie: Probably Zombie Civilian edit
Chainsaw Zombie: D2.5 Chainsaw Zombie needs edited attack animation
ZSec (Shield): Pistol ZSec edit. Needs a good shield set.
Zombie Commando: Probably Fist Marine edit
Zombie Commando (Chaingun): Vegeta is/will work(ing) on it

Vulgar: Edit of Eriance's Vulgar.
Wraith: Possible KDiZD Shadow edit
Pinky: Vader has a set that resembles it that he might work on in a while

Revenant: Needs an edit of the D2 Revenant (Armor needs editing)
Archvile: Needs flame on hands, a melee animation and the flame needs
recoloring. I'm looking for flame sprites for it's attack, the
Heretic/Hexen ones are too small.
Bruiser: PrznDoom is working on it

Vagary: Possible edit of Eriance's Defiler
Helltime/Berserk/Invul Hunter: Edit of the Hell Knight
Guardian Seeker: Possible edit of Eriance's Wicked (It'd be a large edit, though)
Cyberdemon: Large edit of the D1/2 Cyberdemon
Screenshots:

off topic
(well ghastly make doom3 enemies with the model viewer can be easy with the same number of sprites but the trouble is the resolution and the poor frames, example walking have 4 frames for angule..is much better on that case make md2 models for gzdoom. That was te reazon why i not include angules for earch enemies ( except to sabaoth, have 16 ). And revenge of evil only is for single.)

on topic:
good job, man keep working =)

Don't everyone post at once :P. I'm making some decent headway with some more monsters. The Archvile just needs some sprites for the flame attack and I can finish it pretty easily, and I'll use the Doom 2 sprites, for the moment, to recreate the Cacodemon, Revenant, Hell Knight and Invul Hunter.

By the way, once this is done, this could be used to make these monsters for other ports that support custom monsters.

Good luck, then. You certainly have a ways to go :P but I hope you have fun doing this.

@TheCupboard: I usually have a lot of fun coding something, so I'll probably have a lot of fun working on this :).

I thought up how to recreate the Maledicts attacks. Fireballs are easy (I'll make it fire 3 minimum, with a chance to fire more), and the flamewall would be just a ripping projectile that spawns trails that do constant. The meteors could be done with projectiles spawning with random offsets and going at random angles. I'll likely never be able to make it fly along a set path, like it does in the actual boss fight (just inheriting from the Death Wyvern in Hexen won't cut it), but that's not that serious.

The Forgotten One is almost done, as well. A sprite set is being worked on (edit of the original Lost Soul, but looks very close to the Forgotten One).

Forgotten One's done and the Trite and Bruiser are being worked on. Hopefully the Tick will follow soon after the Trite, since it isn't much different.

Screenshot of the Forgotten One has been added to the first post. Thanks to Captain Toenail of the Skulltag and ZDoom forums for the sprite set, and for working on the Trite :)!

Trite's done (Screenshot on the first post), and I've revamped the decorate for the three finished ZSec variants. While they aren't as smart as they were before (Running when low on health, sprinting while in sight), they now have a few characteristics they have in Doom 3.

The Pistol ZSec fires a random amount of times, with a random delay in between each shot, the Shotgun ZSec fires immediately after it hits the pain state (that's one thing I hate about them, since I'm used to following up with another shot, then), and the Machinegun ZSec fires continuously for a little while, rather than a few shots looping as long as you're in sight. It makes coming out of cover fairly risky.

I've been thinking about the Guardian, I can't get it exactly how it acts in Doom 3. I tried a while ago (with a ton of Decorate and ACS), and was pretty successful, but it was really buggy. If you killed a seeker while it was summoning then it would never summon any more seekers ever again and the game would crash if it killed the player.

So, rather than that (I'm trying to steer clear of ACS for this, anyway), it could see the player without Seekers and the Seekers would just be backup (shooting fireballs or something) but it would still only be vulnerable while summoning them (which would just be another attack). Should it be like that, or almost exactly like a normal Doom monster?

Cacodemon's done, the Imp sprites have almost been redone thanks to PrznDoom, Pistol ZSec sprites are almost redone (I'm having trouble with the death sprites, though), concepts for the Hell Knight are rolling along smoothly and we have a pretty good concept for the Vulgar!

I know a few of the Doom 3 monsters have huge flaws, like for example the Pinkys and Maggots having way too few health, Cherubs doing too much damage, etc. Does anyone think we should try to fix those problems with this pack, or should go for authenticity?

Also, should the color for some monsters be changed? One complaint I've heard about the Doom 3 monsters is that they're all too grey. Would the Vulgar, for example, would look better with a barely-noticable light blue tint, Pinky should be pinker (though, it was pretty pink, if you look closely at it), etc.?

Cool. :^) It's tough for me to make any judgement calls on monster health/damage. It seems to be easier to kill things in Doom than in Doom 3 so you might have to make these monsters a little touger, but I'm not positive.

As for monster coloration, I think it would be okay to take some liberties there. Imps, vulgars, hell knights, and cacodemons all have that waxy kind of gray color that could use a bit of variation. It might have been okay for Doom 3 with the lighting and atmosphere, but killing hordes of gray creatures in the colorful world of Doom just doesn't quite cut it.

I'm looking forward to the zombie civilians. To me, it seems like it would be tough to imitate there staggering motions with sprites, but hey, what do I know?

Tinting them lightly to make them a bit more colorful is a good idea. As for damage and health, try to go for authenticity. Since it's a resource pack modders who want them to be stronger or wimpier can always edit them in their mods; so the baseline should be as accurate as possible to Doom 3 stats. That way, if a modder goes all "the pinkies were wimps in D3, I'm going to triple their hit points" it won't be an overkill. :)

Okay, I won't make the more drastic changes, but I'm still changing things slightly to make up for the different engines. The Cacodemon's shockball, for example, does only 17 damage counting splash damage in Doom 3, but that's not nearly enough damage in the Doom 2 engine, since the player is so fast.

With the exact same states, several monsters would be either much easier or much harder in the Doom 2 engine.