Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
leileilol

Did somebody say Odamex?

Odamex has released version 0.4 of their Free Software multiplayer source port for Doom. Among the notable changes is that you can observe games, banlists, and increased stability over the net. A more elaborate, and listed change log is here.

This important update is incompatible with prior releases, so servers and clients are required to upgrade to play Odamex.

Downloaded, I'll test the improvements when I'll have more time for this... I hope to see map01 fans on #odamex >:D

This new version is much improved over the previous. Odamex definitely will be a big name in due time, but that can't be done without you guys' help on filling the servers full of fraggy and flaggy goodness!

Downloaded and installed - tried to run, but failed as I didn't have mingwm10.dll. Is there a reason this isn't in the package?

Edit: Ah, just read the news on the odamex site

IF THE LAUNCHER DOES NOT WORK, PLEASE DOWNLOAD MINGWM10.DLL.
PACKAGES WILL BE UPDATED SOON.

myk said:

Needs more 320x200/640x400

These resolutions are supported by Odamex. If you don't see them you may need to update your video card and monitor drivers.

Well then, but badly implemented, at least in comparison to other engines such as ZDoom, PrBoom, Chocolate Doom, and so on, where I can use them fine (the latter two use SDL just like Odamex).

myk said:

Well then, but badly implemented, at least in comparison to other engines such as ZDoom, PrBoom, Chocolate Doom, and so on, where I can use them fine (the latter two use SDL just like Odamex).

Odamex uses ZDoom's renderer. Try -gdi in the command line and see if it makes a difference or ask around the channel or something other. I actually get more resolutions in Odamex than I do in quite a few other engines.

Very nice. It's a heck of a lot more stable and playable than it used to be.

Only problem I've run into is on odactf1 MAP06, there are some rogue F_SKY1 flats that are displayed as a flat instead of sky. I'll post a bug on the bugtracker.

Oh, and when the map rotation switched to map08, I got jerked around like a cheap toy by the netcode and then disconnected. I think that might be a problem on my end though, since it didn't happen to everyone...

Oh yeah, and sometimes I get period where the framerate takes a small but noticable dip for a period of 3-4 seconds that I don't get in other source ports, but I'm having trouble getting it to happen consistantly.

EDIT: Are there plans to release a 0.4a/0.41 soon-ish if some of the smaller/mission critical bugs get squished?

Ralphis said:
Odamex uses ZDoom's renderer. Try -gdi in the command line and see if it makes a difference or ask around the channel or something other. I actually get more resolutions in Odamex than I do in quite a few other engines.

Thanks for the info. I see something was added in revision 304, although neither the environment variable not the -directx parameter helped in my case... I'll have to inquire some more.

I successfully compiled Odamex in my Debian Lenny. When I try to launch it, it complained because it did not find DirectFB. The README file and the Makefile say nothing about it.
Note that I just tried to launch it via ssh from Cygwin. Is the fail message wrong, or is it Odamex's 3D thingy?

Sign in to follow this